EponaFries

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi, I just recently put together a build with these specs:
EP45-UD3P MoBo
e7400 proc
3GB ddr2 800
Geforce 9800 GT

But when I try to power it on, it turns on, the case fans spin but the processor fan does not, then it reboots and starts the cycle again. I made sure there wasn't a short circuit by testing it on a cardboard box but that didn't help. I have also tried removing and moving the ram, but to no avail. If you guys could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Do you have a system speaker installed so you can hear the beep codes? You say you have 3GB of RAM. How do you have the RAM set up? 2x2GB + 2x512MB, 3x1GB, etc... Your system will run best with the RAM in even pairs so it will run in dual-channel mode. So you tried each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot? What power supply do you have? Are you 100% sure the 8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket is firmly plugged in as well as the main 24-pin motherboard power connector?

It's not good that the CPU fan doesn't spin. Is it plugged into the CPU_FAN header at the top edge of the board?

EponaFries

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Yes I have a speaker installed, tho it doesn't make a beep, it makes something like a click. I have 1x1GB and 1x2GB. The main motherboard connector is plugged in and the other connector is only 4 pins and I have it plugged in to half of the 2x4 connector (could it not be getting enough power? do I need a PSU with more wattage/bigger connector?). The ram is just put in to 2 different slots they are different colors (I remember hearing they should be in the same colors if they are the same sizes to inscrease speed). I have the fan plugged in to the CPU_FAN plug.

Problems like yours are most commonly caused by RAM problems. Which exact two RAM sticks do you have? Are they both rated for the same timings and voltage? You would have been much better off getting a matched 2x2GB kit. You said you performed every step in the checklist. Did you perform step #6? You really need to try each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot.

Which PSU do you have? Which 9800GT do you have? Do you have the 6-pin PCI-E power connector plugged in?

It's possible, but I'm trying to help you eliminate other possibilities first. CPU's are VERY rarely DOA. It does happen occasionally with motherboards, but problems like this are far more often either user error or faulty RAM.

You still haven't told me the specs of your RAM and PSU. There's only so much we can do to help without knowing what it is we're working with.

bilbat

Splendid
GB reboot loops come in two varieties: first kind, caused by incomplete/faulty HSF installation, stops during POST (no beep), seems to power down momentarily, and restarts - cause - incorrect HSF/TIM installation, or cracked mounting pin causes CPU to go into thermal shutdown, rapidly and repeatedly; second one is caused by a USB device that GBs don't like (or, more rarely, bad BIOS CMOS parameters), POSTs, beeps, and then reboots - first, remove all USB devices except keyboard, then, hold front panel power button in as long as it takes to completely shut down system, power off at PSU switch, hold front panel power switch for about fifteen seconds with PSU power off, momentarily jumper or short CMOS_RST pins, power on at PSU, power on, enter BIOS, do "Load Optimized Defaults"... Replace USBs one by one, powering down between each insertion to find offending 'culprit'...

EponaFries

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
HSF:Heatsink and fan? If so I made sure it was installed correctly (fan plug plugged into CPU_FAN, and fastened nicely on the mobo/proc),second: stops during? What do you mean?

EponaFries

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Oh, I see, I heard a click on the speaker I plugged in. I have no usb devices plugged in right now so that couldn't be the problem. Seems like the first one. What would you advise? How can I test your theory?

bilbat

Splendid
HSF: heatsink/fan; TIM: thermal interface material (HS 'paste'); if you've got too much/too little/voids or bubbles in the TIM, if you have a partially locked mount pin, or (and it often happens) a cracked locking pin, it will cause the CPU to be unable to 'spill' heat properly (and this happens pretty much instantly - Intel docs infer 'molten silicon' within one-half second of a PROCHOT thermal trip...), causing it to automatically shutdown to protect itself. The only trustwothy method is if the manufacturer's TIM was 'silk-screened' onto your heat sink contact area (and you didn't 'smudge around' in it before or during mounting), otherwise, it's worth pulling the board, closely examining the backs of the mounting pins, and if no problems are found, try pulling it, and examining the 'spread' of the TIM - really good application advice:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

EponaFries

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I tried reapplying the thermal paste to the processor(the one that camw with my Zalman cooler) and I made sue everything was in right and ok. Still the same. I don't know what to do at this point, if you guys ran out of ideas what do you think I should RMA?