Epic: DirectX 11 Coming to Ureal Engine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Arkham City, ME3, and the next Bioshock installment with DX11 glory? Color me stoked (except for the fact that I likely won't be able to just max the settings before I start playing and know that my PC will be able to handle them... le sigh).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
What about the ability to make a GOOD Unreal Tournament game that is FUN and well made as UT99 and UT2004?

Epic blew it by including crappy maps in which only 4-5 are playable out of 33. By the time the gamers made GOOD to great maps, the UT3 user base has gone away. What is left is a handful of active servers which play the SAME standard maps - because a typical map is about 20~75mb to download.

Okay Epic... put the UE3+ engine to use. come out with a FIX UT4 in which there is Vehicle zoom (Like in UT2004 - but even better with the 16k mod that turns it BACK on in UT3). Include 125~150 MAPS (made from fans) to make it interesting and sell it for $30 or so. And you may redeem yourself and get a lot of us playing again.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Oh... and another thing. What about making some of those games for the PC?!

Hey Microfart... Gears of War 2 and 3... for PC? Hello? (imagine someone knocking on Ballmer's bald head) HELLO? (knock knock) HELLO? (knock knock). Make Gears 2 & 3 for Windows? Remember, "Games for Windows". Some of us WILL never EVER buy an xBox.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Oh... and another thing. What about making some of those games for the PC?!Hey Microfart... Gears of War 2 and 3... for PC? Hello? (imagine someone knocking on Ballmer's bald head) HELLO? (knock knock) HELLO? (knock knock). Make Gears 2 & 3 for Windows? Remember, "Games for Windows". Some of us WILL never EVER buy an xBox.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure Ballmer and the rest of the 360 crew don't care that you won't buy a 360. The whole point of an exclusive is to push a particular system. Even if you won't buy a 360 to play GoW, there are tons of people that will. If they had the alternative of buying it on the PC, they might not bother ever getting a 360. It may be a trade-off, but in this instance, they clearly don't care about how you feel.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Yeah, really? Still, I have a right to tell MS to stick their "Games for Windows" in their ass. Wheres the support for it - which they semi-promote?

Then as end-users, we really DON'T need a Windows platform either. After all, as long as there is a browser and general tools (Office) - any computer will do.

Its stupid. How many PC gamers own an Xbox? How many of them prefer the PC over the xbox for certain games? Having a shooter game is best on the PC... but yeah, kids who can't aim worth a crap have to use their auto-aim joysticks.

I bought Gears 1 for PC and was happy with it.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Following this announcement 2K games have said that they're scrapping Duke Nukem Forever and rewriting it from scratch on the Unreal 3 engine.

Yay, it sound like an engine optimized to run and consoles and Nvidia cards. So the other half of consumers wont be able to even run the games, especially with PhysX turned on. On the other hand there is always the CryEngine.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Epic, consoles dont use DX11, only PC. Why make your engine more compatible with the PC, It will take much more WORK to create Great visuals. Go the easy route just stick with consoles, its been working for you. Ohh wait, must be getting ready for the next gen consoles.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
"No, PC gaming is NOT dead." You kid your readership and yourself, Parrish. PC gaming is in terminal decline and no amount of "brain- hemorrhaging [sic] eye candy" will arrest that.

The best PC games used to rely on brains. Now, the user has nought but a pizza and a can of Dr. Pepper's attached to their optic nerves.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Oh... and another thing. What about making some of those games for the PC?!Hey Microfart... Gears of War 2 and 3... for PC? Hello? (imagine someone knocking on Ballmer's bald head) HELLO? (knock knock) HELLO? (knock knock). Make Gears 2 & 3 for Windows? Remember, "Games for Windows". Some of us WILL never EVER buy an xBox.[/citation]
awww look at the cute person who knows what he's talking about

epic makes gears. not microsoft. epic chooses what platform for it to be released it. it's a third party software. microsoft has nothing to do with gears.

if anything, you should knock on microsofts head for halo. because that's all they have. lmfao

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]"No, PC gaming is NOT dead." You kid your readership and yourself, Parrish. PC gaming is in terminal decline and no amount of "brain- hemorrhaging [sic] eye candy" will arrest that.[/citation]
I'm guessing you didn't read this article...

"Microsoft still sees Windows 7 as a major gaming platform. In fact, the PC Gaming Alliance recently announced that PC games had grown 19% in 2010, with worldwide sales of over $16 billion. So, PC gaming is certainly healthy... More interesting, DX10-capable hardware now comprises the majority of GPUs installed, at 56%."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-developers-conference-gdc-2011-world-of-warcraft,2882.html

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
actually unreal engine 3 already has directx 11 features

in the UDK in the .ini theres a dx11 option and in the materials editor theres a tessellation node

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Wait, these are the guys who said that UT3 would probably be their last title to be released on the PC because when the PS3 came out they swore up and down that the PC would never be able to keep up with console hardware again...
Perhaps the only truth to that is the fact that they alienated much of their PC market by making a visually great game amazingly horrible to play.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom]actually unreal engine 3 already has directx 11 featuresin the UDK in the .ini theres a dx11 option and in the materials editor theres a tessellation node[/citation]

And does the engine actually take advantage of thoose settings/features atm?

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm happy this finally happened, but lets be honest, the Unreal engine isn't really that great. It's simply widely used.

I was really pleased to hear that ME3 was doing away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.