Discussion Epic Games Store Would Stop Snagging Exclusives If Steam Adopted Their Revenue Model

That's one thing I'll agree with Epic on that Valve takes too big a cut from devs for using Steam distribution, which also affects game prices for the consumer. It's why so many games on Steam stay at launch price for so long. If the Epic Games Store keeps attracting devs as it has, Valve will eventually have to cave and at least lower their cut, if not match Epic's cut.

Another way devs may be saving money soon though is Stadia. If it gets to the point where even 1/3 of the games made are available on Stadia, a TON of devs are going to want to develop exclusively for it just because it cuts out tons of development and testing time for multi platforms, plus anyone can play Stadia games without even needing a gaming system.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
This is something that's easy for Epic to say, since they don't have anywhere near the same overhead as Steam, given their substantial feature deficit. I think Valve should counter by saying they'll do it once Epic has feature parity and still offers that rate. Also, I really want to see that money in the pockets of the development team, not just the publishers.

Honestly, I don't think Epic has any intention of stopping what they're doing. They're trying to run a hearts and minds campaign to get gamers onto their platform. We know their primary objective is to make more money, and all this press over a baseless tweet is free advertisement. Way to go TH...

Apr 26, 2019
This is dishonest by Sweeney. And not ony by the virtue of steam offering so much more to devs than Epic Store (not the engine)
and Steam having steam keys that they do not take a cut from, so devs/publishers can sell them on their own st
Who pays the transfer fee in the two stores?
In steam, it comes from Valves cut, and in Epic Store it comes from the consumers cut, raising the price even more for new games, and making the price shown in the store not the full one.
and in Steams case it can be atleast 10-15%, from the Steam Gift Cards. and by Sweeneys account, some transfer methods can cost upwards to 25% (though Im pretty sure epic doesn't use those, but Steam might as they have so many different methods for paying)

Reactions: LB23 and coolitic
This is something that's easy for Epic to say, since they don't have anywhere near the same overhead as Steam, given their substantial feature deficit. I think Valve should counter by saying they'll do it once Epic has feature parity and still offers that rate. Also, I really want to see that money in the pockets of the development team, not just the publishers.

Honestly, I don't think Epic has any intention of stopping what they're doing. They're trying to run a hearts and minds campaign to get gamers onto their platform. We know their primary objective is to make more money, and all this press over a baseless tweet is free advertisement. Way to go TH...
Oh please, Steam has tons of ads, which brings in a lot of revenue to pay for those features, Epic Store doesn't. It also took Valve 10 years to get it to that point. Epic have already promised a lot of the same features too, including reviews, cloud saves, achievements, and social features. As far as I know they also already have the same kind of refund policy as well. They don't seem to be intent on having a forum, but honestly, the Steam Forums are pretty bad, and poorly moderated.

Also, Epic doesn't designate whom the savings go to, that's up to the contract between the pubs and the devs. There's certainly much better chance of the devs saving more with a 60% lower distribution fee than Steam though. And distribution is part of marketing , pubs generally handle those costs, that's part of their responsibility.

And Valve hasn't done the same with Steam by enticing gamers, developers, publishers AND advertisers? Don't kid yourself, they're all out to make money on this kind of thing. All you can really say about it is it will take Epic a LOT more volume to net the same amount with such a smaller cut, especially since they don't take in anything from ads. If anything that makes Valve look like the greedy ones. They've amassed so much revenue from Steam they don't even need to develop anymore. Valve are very eccentric, ask anyone who's worked there and been fired for not going along with their regime. They wasted tons of money experimenting on Steam Box only to fail miserably. That's what their wads of cash from high distribution costs has done to them.

@Deadhound,

All the gamer is going to see is that games have more chance of costing less when there's a substantially lower distribution fee paid by the publishers. That's why World War Z on PC is $35 instead of the $40 it was going to be on Steam.

Last edited:

kickstand

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
After buying Metro Exodus and losing my saved game (not backed up on cloud like Steam) I would never buy another game from them, even if I miss out on the title. I use 3 different gaming PCs and no cloud backup is a deal breaker for me. I will continue to support Steam, but not Epic Store.

Reactions: coolitic
After buying Metro Exodus and losing my saved game (not backed up on cloud like Steam) I would never buy another game from them, even if I miss out on the title. I use 3 different gaming PCs and no cloud backup is a deal breaker for me. I will continue to support Steam, but not Epic Store.
As I stated above, and is well known by those whom have done the research, cloud saves are just one of many features in the works for Epic Games Store. Don't forget Steam had a lot of problems at launch too.

Seems a lot of people just look at first impressions and assume a lot. AMD's ReLive was also scoffed at a lot, but in just a couple years it already has more features than ShadowPlay, which came out many years ago.

Apr 26, 2019
@Deadhound,

All the gamer is going to see is that games have more chance of costing less when there's a substantially lower distribution fee paid by the publishers. That's why World War Z on PC is $35 instead of the $40 it was going to be on Steam.

So I thoguht I replied to this earlier, but seems it didn't go through or whatever.

Have you checked the price on the three AAA games that are on epic store? Metro exodus, The Divison 2 and Borderlands 3 are all at the "usual" new release price of 59,99$ (+transfer fee), so that's not a really good argument imo. And if you care about price you can ether wait for sale, buy from steam keys from developers own store (where the devs get 100% of the money (bar transfer fee)) or from shady 3rd party key sites

AND World war Z is only cheaper on epic if you have a payment method that have under 15% transfer fee, which in the western world it normaly is roughly 5% I belive (making the game cost 1.75$ more than shown price) . but with a steam card or other payment methods (see link in the earlier post) means that you can reach this above this.

Also what kinda ads does Steam have? You mean adds inside of Steam?

Reactions: LB23
So I thoguht I replied to this earlier, but seems it didn't go through or whatever.

Have you checked the price on the three AAA games that are on epic store? Metro exodus, The Divison 2 and Borderlands 3 are all at the "usual" new release price of 59,99$ (+transfer fee), so that's not a really good argument imo. And if you care about price you can ether wait for sale, buy from steam keys from developers own store (where the devs get 100% of the money (bar transfer fee)) or from shady 3rd party key sites

AND World war Z is only cheaper on epic if you have a payment method that have under 15% transfer fee, which in the western world it normaly is roughly 5% I belive (making the game cost 1.75$ more than shown price) . but with a steam card or other payment methods (see link in the earlier post) means that you can reach this above this.

Also what kinda ads does Steam have? You mean adds inside of Steam?
At the end of the day, the argument is still valid when you consider not all publishers are willing to pass the savings on to the consumer. Also, $1.76 seems silly to argue when some of us live in states that insist any online businesses collect sales tax, which sadly is growing in popularity across the US.

Apr 26, 2019
At the end of the day, the argument is still valid when you consider not all publishers are willing to pass the savings on to the consumer. Also, $1.76 seems silly to argue when some of us live in states that insist any online businesses collect sales tax, which sadly is growing in popularity across the US.
1.76$ was just an example of lower bound, though it's a small amount.
I do not know how sales tax work in US much, though in Norway we to have sales tax (VAT) on online stores. Atleast on Steam, though I do think the others also have it. But it's shown in the shop-price, so it doesn't come as a suprise when you are about to pay (which atleast transfer fee on epic does, if I remember correctly).

Reactions: LB23
May 1, 2019
Oh please, Steam has tons of ads, which brings in a lot of revenue to pay for those features, Epic Store doesn't. It also took Valve 10 years to get it to that point. Epic have already promised a lot of the same features too, including reviews, cloud saves, achievements, and social features. As far as I know they also already have the same kind of refund policy as well. They don't seem to be intent on having a forum, but honestly, the Steam Forums are pretty bad, and poorly moderated.

Also, Epic doesn't designate whom the savings go to, that's up to the contract between the pubs and the devs. There's certainly much better chance of the devs saving more with a 60% lower distribution fee than Steam though. And distribution is part of marketing , pubs generally handle those costs, that's part of their responsibility.

And Valve hasn't done the same with Steam by enticing gamers, developers, publishers AND advertisers? Don't kid yourself, they're all out to make money on this kind of thing. All you can really say about it is it will take Epic a LOT more volume to net the same amount with such a smaller cut, especially since they don't take in anything from ads. If anything that makes Valve look like the greedy ones. They've amassed so much revenue from Steam they don't even need to develop anymore. Valve are very eccentric, ask anyone who's worked there and been fired for not going along with their regime. They wasted tons of money experimenting on Steam Box only to fail miserably. That's what their wads of cash from high distribution costs has done to them.

@Deadhound,

The EPIC launcher is GARBAGE, lol. I will never use them. Shady, shady, shady business practices. No rating system, no forums, no cloud saves, non-user friendly and I could go on and on and on. Steam is GOAT and always will be. It is user-friendly and has everything you could possibly need in a launcher. I think what Epic is doing is only hurting the industry. I don't think Valve should back down at all. It takes money to upkeep a service like Steam. It's not free.

The EPIC launcher is GARBAGE, lol. I will never use them. Shady, shady, shady business practices. No rating system, no forums, no cloud saves, non-user friendly and I could go on and on and on. Steam is GOAT and always will be. It is user-friendly and has everything you could possibly need in a launcher. I think what Epic is doing is only hurting the industry. I don't think Valve should back down at all. It takes money to upkeep a service like Steam. It's not free.
LOL, Valve bled a ton of money on the failed Steam Box, and mislead a lot of hardware manufacturers and consumers in the process with long delays and promises of better Linux performance. Maybe try telling the whole story about their finances and eccentricity.

Again, Steam was no gem at launch either, and most of the things you're comparing have already been promised by Epic, including reviews, cloud saves, achievements, social features, and an equal refund policy.

It's kind of a waste quoting someone if you pay zero attention to what they're saying..