Epic Games Turns 20, Gives Away Retrospective Soundtrack

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zhelkus

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
For format whiners who want to make a difference in the future: use Bandcamp. Site offers most formats ready for download at ANY charge. MP3, OGG, AAC, FLAC.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]mrpijey[/nom]Then why not satisfy both teams then? Provide both MP3 and FLAC/OGG versions then and show that they are aware that there's a difference in audio quality. I enjoy music much as the next guy but I also enjoy it in quality. Neither FLAC or OGG are new techs either.@alidan: They don't need to reinvent the wheel every time, they just need to invent... something. When was the last time you saw a decent title from Epic? With todays tech, and them sitting on one of the very best 3D engines in the world they clearly should be able to churn out a title worthy of their legacy.[/citation]

Exactly the same could be said for the PC game market... I play both console and PC games but face it... PC gamers are to video games what audiophiles are for sound reproduction. A niche market. Wasn't so 20 years ago when Epic got it's start. They are just following the money like any other company.

Now, bring on the flame!

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Indeed it is. Audiophiles can complain their asses off but at the end of the day their distaste is irrelevant. They are a niche market and will never command enough respect to get what they want.[/citation]

Exactly the same could be said for the PC game market... I play both console and PC games but face it... PC gamers are to video games what audiophiles are for sound reproduction. A niche market. Wasn't so 20 years ago when Epic got it's start. They are just following the money like any other company.

Now, bring on the flame!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mrpijey[/nom]Then why not satisfy both teams then? Provide both MP3 and FLAC/OGG versions then and show that they are aware that there's a difference in audio quality. I enjoy music much as the next guy but I also enjoy it in quality. Neither FLAC or OGG are new techs either.@alidan: They don't need to reinvent the wheel every time, they just need to invent... something. When was the last time you saw a decent title from Epic? With todays tech, and them sitting on one of the very best 3D engines in the world they clearly should be able to churn out a title worthy of their legacy.[/citation]

and what would do this?

the single player fps game is almost dead, there are rare ones, maybe once a year, that are built for single player and multiplayer is an after though, or non existent.

multiplayer fps you cant make everyone happy, and from what i see, you dont get the unreal tournament style fpses anymore, you get a military shooter a, military shooter b, and everything else has a VERY small community, and very little give anything new a chance, or they screw up the transition from closed to open beta (really its the full release, but they still call it beta)

i believe that the first fps that REALLY goes balls out with destruction and world shaping will be the one to set up what future fps games can do...

i can see it even making a normal military fps interesting.

and unreal engine... i have problems with calling it the best, but that's just me because i can tell when its an unreal engine game from screen shots, there are a few i wouldn't know if i wasn't told, but those are rare.

[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Exactly the same could be said for the PC game market... I play both console and PC games but face it... PC gamers are to video games what audiophiles are for sound reproduction. A niche market. Wasn't so 20 years ago when Epic got it's start. They are just following the money like any other company. Now, bring on the flame![/citation]

play a game with bad audio and play one with great. i have stero headphones, hd555, play blacklight retribution, holy crap if that isnt some of the best audio i have ever heard, it makes going back to other games hard, because they do it right.

now as for flac and ogg, i would like them, but i dont care, 320 mp3 is good enough for free, but i would never pay for it, that said, i would really never pay for any of those songs...

lastly, the only people who dont care about good audio never heard good audio... its kind od sad to me that people are ok with the current quality of mp3 players, especially coming off of cds and great sound systems they had everywhere back in the late 80's early 90's

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Exactly the same could be said for the PC game market... I play both console and PC games but face it... PC gamers are to video games what audiophiles are for sound reproduction. A niche market. Wasn't so 20 years ago when Epic got it's start. They are just following the money like any other company.Now, bring on the flame![/citation]

Niche market? What facts do you base that on considering Steam don't publish sales numbers and are according to analysts standing for over 80% of the pc game sales today compared to retail where consoles sales are actually published. PC gaming can be perceived as as a niche market without any facts on hand... and that points to narrow mindedness based on guesses rather than facts.

A few assorted facts...
* The latest dedicated PC title Diablo 3 have sold how many copies before its even released? (releases today btw)
* 12+ million players have subscribed month after month to the same game namely WoW and its several years old.
* PC Sales increase every year and have the hugest install base of all platforms.
* Steam don't report sales compared to the retail competition (se above).

So please, before spewing nonsense, at least check up the facts they aren't hard to find (beside the steam sales numbers!)

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Indeed it is. Audiophiles can complain their asses off but at the end of the day their distaste is irrelevant. They are a niche market and will never command enough respect to get what they want.[/citation]
and it's just a matter of making lossless files available... audiophillies won't even take the time to get the "lossy" mp3s just to compare them and make sure they did get better quality tracks anyway...

Why are people complaining about the complaints of loss-less files not being offered? Do you dislike high quality audio? I won't say that if you hear it for a while, that you won't want to ever go back (I don't know how good you are at telling the difference and regardless of whether or not you're good at it, if you even care) to lossy audio files, but some people don't like poor quality audio. MP3 was succeeded by far superior standards long ago and the very games that these tracks were pulled from had loss-less versions, so it's not like us people who want good audio are asking for anything unreasonable.

If I really wanted too, I suppose that I could go through my old disks and extract these files myself, but then it's not a nostalgic anniversary gift from Epic (even though they have pretty much given PC gamers the finger) anymore, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.