Epic Games Turns 20, Gives Away Retrospective Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Main Theme - Unreal, my first exposure to epic.
Main Menu - UT, kinda boring. Mechanism 8 or Save Me (Morpheus map, I think) just as recognizable and would compliment the composition better.

SocketA

Honorable
May 1, 2012
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]I wish Epic would come out with a third game in the Unreal series, and no I don't mean Tournament![/citation]

Yeah Unreal 2 the Awakening was a very underrated game and was a complete PC only title. Though I have to ask one thing why no lossless love Epic? 320 kbs mp3's are nice and all but why not just give is the raw wav PCM or even flac files?

SocketA

Honorable
May 1, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Epic? Same company that was fapping to consoles the other day? Wonder what they were programming for, 2 decades ago...[/citation]

Yeah it was pretty sad and kind of confusing to see Epic the guy's that use to push the limits of current PC hardware praising consoles and saying they are the pinnacle of graphical power. Honestly that's the kind of shit I would expect to hear from someone in marketing not from someone that has a background in fucking computer programming and game development.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SocketA[/nom]Yeah it was pretty sad and kind of confusing to see Epic the guy's that use to push the limits of current PC hardware praising consoles and saying they are the pinnacle of graphical power. Honestly that's the kind of shit I would expect to hear from someone in marketing not from someone that has a background in fucking computer programming and game development.[/citation]

Can't agree more +1.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Wow, I love Gears and Epic Games is one of the good last development team standing. They'd be much higher in our opinions if they didn't give PC the finger...

Funny that Epic can act sentimental about their older PC games while they basically abandon that market completely for almost ten year old consoles that should have been ditched years ago... Especially with the next generation of consoles hardly being any more powerful than the old ones. Daring to say that those old consoles are the top of graphical performance is sickening.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]SocketA[/nom]Yeah it was pretty sad and kind of confusing to see Epic the guys that used to push the limits of current PC hardware praising consoles and saying they are the pinnacle of graphical power. Honestly that's the kind of sh*t I would expect to hear from someone in marketing not from someone that has a background in f***ing computer programming and game development.[/citation]

Pinnacle of.......WHAT?????

Are they talking about the devices that couldn't run Crysis in its full glory?

Or are they talking about the devices that are responsible for the stagnation of computer graphics development?

How is a platform that is upgraded every four or five years be the pinnacle of graphical power?? They undoubtedly mean the pinnacle of sales power.

[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]Pinnacle of.......WHAT?????Are they talking about the devices that couldn't run Crysis in its full glory?Or are they talking about the devices that are responsible for the stagnation of computer graphics development?How is a platform that is upgraded every four or five years be the pinnacle of graphical power?? They undoubtedly mean the pinnacle of sales power.[/citation]

Four to five years? Are you crazy? Double that number and it's still not high enough anymore.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]SocketA[/nom]Yeah it was pretty sad and kind of confusing to see Epic the guy's that use to push the limits of current PC hardware praising consoles and saying they are the pinnacle of graphical power. Honestly that's the kind of *** I would expect to hear from someone in marketing not from someone that has a background in ******* computer programming and game development.[/citation]

Here's the major factor you left out: he also has a background in making a sh*t ton of money. I'd imagine he cares more about making money than supporting any one specific platform.

Instead of bashing how about praising Epic for making some of the best games ever?

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Someone posted the following using a bunch of your comments on the site where you can get the MP3, but it keeps getting deleted, obviously someone in Epic is butthurt because of the comments!:

I have to agree with all the following comments:

"Epic? Same company that was fapping to consoles the other day? Wonder what they were programming for, 2 decades ago..."

"Yeah it was pretty sad and kind of confusing to see Epic the guy's that use to push the limits of current PC hardware praising consoles and saying they are the pinnacle of graphical power. Honestly that's the kind of s**t I would expect to hear from someone in marketing not from someone that has a background in ***ing computer programming and game development."

"...Epic Games is one of the good last development team standing. They'd be much higher in our opinions if they didn't give PCs the finger..."

"Funny that Epic can act sentimental about their older PC games while they basically abandon that market completely for almost ten year old consoles that should have been ditched years ago... Especially with the next generation of consoles hardly being any more powerful than the old ones. Daring to say that those old consoles are the top of graphical performance is sickening."

"Pinnacle of.......WHAT????? Are they talking about the devices that couldn't run Crysis in its full glory? Or are they talking about the devices that are responsible for the stagnation of computer graphics development? How is a platform that is upgraded every four or five years be the pinnacle of graphical power?? They undoubtedly mean the pinnacle of sales power."

"Your games are not epic anymore."

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
MP3? Wow, the 90's called and wanted their crappy music format back...

Thanks "Epic" but you need to catch up to this century.

Also, I agree with the above, Epic isn't so epic anymore. You've severely slipped, just as Id and the other classic companies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Lol please change your company name Epic... You are "Not-So-Epic" mmm kay?[/citation]Epic fail game should do the trick. lol

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mrpijey[/nom]MP3? Wow, the 90's called and wanted their crappy music format back...Thanks "Epic" but you need to catch up to this century.Also, I agree with the above, Epic isn't so epic anymore. You've severely slipped, just as Id and the other classic companies.[/citation]

id never really had game desighners... they had the tech side down, but never had the gameplay side, and we moved on from the days where the tech with a good enough game was good enough.

epic and capcom perfected how a 3rd person shooter should be, and that is why innovation seams so lacking, they PERFECTED IT as in no room for massive improvements, at this point its minor tweaks.

you cant reinvent the wheel over and over again each time getting better.
the only real innovation in fps came from valve and half life 2,

it will take a brand new gameplay mechanic to make a game feel new again, and i believe that you should all keep an eye on minecraft like games, because that is where the next innovation is going to come from.

fully destructible land, we had rudimentary attempts till now, but one of them, cant remember its name, is getting close to being what a fps needs.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Lords of Uberdark
thats the game i was referring too. id keep my eye on that as this could have a farther than just miecraft like games impact.

i believe its still alpha, but you can see the eairly stages of greatness.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]MP3 is the most widely used music format in the world.[/citation]

Indeed it is. Audiophiles can complain their asses off but at the end of the day their distaste is irrelevant. They are a niche market and will never command enough respect to get what they want.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Then why not satisfy both teams then? Provide both MP3 and FLAC/OGG versions then and show that they are aware that there's a difference in audio quality. I enjoy music much as the next guy but I also enjoy it in quality. Neither FLAC or OGG are new techs either.

@alidan: They don't need to reinvent the wheel every time, they just need to invent... something. When was the last time you saw a decent title from Epic? With todays tech, and them sitting on one of the very best 3D engines in the world they clearly should be able to churn out a title worthy of their legacy.

zhelkus

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I see Jazz Jackrabbit, Tyrian.... but where's my One Must Fall 2097? My favorite fighter on PC from the DOS days of olde?

What an oversight, Epic. Celebrating years of existence and success... and forgetting OMF. :Sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.