Epic Now Making Minecraft-Inspired Fortnite Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Definitely sounds interesting. I think i'll wait untill they actually start making it and release some details before i get excited about anything.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Looks interesting. Will be nice to have something a little different from them, compared to what they usually churn out. Just hope they dont borrow too heavily from MC/TF2.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I think the moral of the story here is:

If you're a big company, it's fine if you want to steal successful ideas from smaller companies, and use them for your own profitable gain. But if you're a smaller company... God help you if your game or idea is even remotely anything like that of the bigger company.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]I think the moral of the story here is:If you're a big company, it's fine if you want to steal successful ideas from smaller companies, and use them for your own profitable gain. But if you're a smaller company... God help you if your game or idea is even remotely anything like that of the bigger company.[/citation]

Minecraft itself was heavily inspired by Infiniminer.

"Stealing" successful ideas is the bread and butter of the video game industry.
"Doom clones" got the FPS genre started. Dune 2 clones got the RTS genre started, etc.

[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]I think the moral of the story here is:If you're a big company, it's fine if you want to steal successful ideas from smaller companies, and use them for your own profitable gain. But if you're a smaller company... God help you if your game or idea is even remotely anything like that of the bigger company.[/citation]

I'm lookin at you scrolls/bethesda fiasco

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]grand theft auto clones got sandbox-type games started ;D[/citation]
There were open-world, sandbox games out long before the GTA games. The furthest-back I can think of to a sand-box type of game would have been the Starflight games. Of more recent games, you have the Elder Scrolls games (Arena and Daggerfall), the first two Fallout games, and (to a lesser degree) the Baldur's Gate games (for the PC).

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Looks like a video game version of...

andrew-w-k-on-the-set-of-destroy-build-destroy.6409559.87.jpg

Looking forward to DESTROY stuff around town, to BUILD my fortress, which minions during the night will try to DESTROY!

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Ok finally we got something different out of all of those lame triple A titles! Now I might actually be pumped for a new game *ORGGGGGLLLLLLEEEEEEE*

Status
Not open for further replies.