Epic Shifting Focus Back to PC as Primary Platform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]Killer, you really believe fallout 3 and farmville are in the same category? i'm like 99% sure you are trollin lol but if not i would be interested in hearing your validation.[/citation]

It's not trolling, it's bitter sarcasm because we seem to be moving in that direction. Waiting for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, using a $50 phone.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Don't care how much money they make. These aren't games, these are toys. Feel the difference.[/citation]

indie games are all about being new and being fun. A game doesnt have to have jaw dropping effects to be good. go play frozen synapse, plants vs zombies, meat boy, and maybe buy the next humble indie bundle. all fun, not toys.

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Don't care how much money they make. These aren't games, these are toys. Feel the difference.[/citation]

As we see the demise of PC gaming users like amk-aka-phantom switch over to MAC gaming, and the hit game "Whack-a-Jobs" (Get it whack jobs?! HAHAHAHA)

Keep playing with those toys and drinking pepsi.

I'm outtro.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
YES!!! Hopefully this will follow make other companies switch suit to computer as the main platform!

This in turn would bump up hardware performance in order to make use of new software, and the cycle might be rebalanced.

G

Switch back to PC? Oh I see what you're doing here. "Pretending" to switch back to PC when you are actually developing console games and porting it over? Ah the picture is clear now

rohitbaran

Distinguished
They sold out to consoles long ago. They are just saying all this to lure back PC gamers till new consoles arrive. Then, it is consoles all over again. Go away Epic. I don't want your throwaway games for PC. Give us something real like the next UT or some continuation of Unreal series. Arcade games? Huh!

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I'd go out right now and buy a new state of the art DX 11 card if there was a new Unreal game that took full advantage of it. As it is now, any new PC games can run almost maxed out on my old 4870 because the consoles made developers dumb everything down. This causes stagnation.....and like any industry that gets stagnant, it's not long before it dies.

I welcome this news.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]On an unrelated note, perhaps if the focus was on making decent games instead of trying to measure games by their budget, we'd start to actually see decent games come out of these big publishers.[/citation]

We keep telling them that, but the crappy AAA titles keep coming and they want $60 for crap with DRM and yep you have to buy addons to make it more fun. Back in the gold ole days if a game was fun it sold very well. Fancy graphics aside, a pig with the best graphics is still a pig even with a hires lace hat (don't ask and I won't tell). You don't need to spend 50-100m on a game or even 200m on a movie to make it enjoyable.

f-14

Distinguished
pc games are dead, they run to consoles, console are dead, they see millions of angry birds and farmville customers and think ge the box is too big, just design for flash based games we can put up on our own website and screw steam and console/pc all together!
smart phones are where the money is at right now and epic knows this.

sticks435

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
[citation][nom]r0b0t2k[/nom]I am not sure if you actually mean another game besides Unreal Tournament 3 but we got that, and it was shit.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_3We got a Unreal Tournament 3 and it was shit.[/citation]

Yes, they did mean another game. One of the first games that Epic (Epic Megagames back then) made Unreal and Unreal 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal).

G

Couldn't submit post for comment: K-zon

Yea, to say with console , efforts of lanning very to say , or multiplayer connect. Alot is already there to say for it though, but find the things needed sometimes vary. And when found probably don't have much a use for it.

But of it though is console and pc, some games go back and forth to say rather ones better for the other probably more then none.

Also console is usually game dedicated, is just one isn't enough. But ya know things do very since alot of consoles do find an interest more then just for gaming as of the later release of say years past or the like.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
This Generation of Consoles+cellphones will do a good job at capturing a new gaming audience (much greater numbers than last gen)
Some of the new gamers will be satisfied with what thay have (cellphones/consoles) The smarter ones will NEED something more.
PC isnt dead and wont be for a very long time. keeping it simple watts=stuff, and what we can do with only a few wont come close to what we can do with many any time soon. I dont care what nm the chips are produced at or what arch they have, we are simply too primative with our designs. PC will always be at the top, the rest will trickle down... unless we get dumber with time

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
epic is dead to me.

cliff is an out spoken douche who claims they went away from pc because of filthy pirates (in his words, all computer users) and they show NO respect to gamers, and in the pc market, they NEED respect, but because they lost it, they blame poor sales on "everyone who owns a pc pirates" or some other outlandish crap that cliff spouts.

want me to give them another chance?

FIRE CLIFF, i don't like anything about him and he is the reason i stopped buying epic games.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Did my comment get deleted!? but Epic need to go away bc they already burned us once after lame ports. I agree with that one person who said games need to be more focused in gameplay/fun factor area not how big of the budget you can throw at it.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I'll believe it when it see it.

Capps seems to adjust platform allegiances with however he is feeling on the day. There were probably a bunch of PC manufacturers in the audience or something.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They spend millions to develop a game, spend millions again to advertise it. Then put $60 or $70 price so nobody can afford it. Amazing marketing strategy! :pfff:

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hell yea! Ive been a console gamer for years and never thought in a million years i would switch over to PC gaming. But with consoles tech soooo old and PC gaming graphics so far beyond what the consoles can do i decided it was time. Just got done building my first gaming PC with the i5 2500k OC and the EVGA gtx 590 Classified. I will never look back. Bring it on Epic! I want the Samaritan graphics! Ahhhhhhhhh!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Go play EYE Divine Cybermancy or Mount and Blade and see if you still believe that. Small scale gaming has always been the source of innovation, while the big guys just polish the ideas up and beat them to death.

You misunderstood me... I meant tablet games. The first game you've mentioned I was actually going to try soon, it looks pretty good.

It's not trolling, it's bitter sarcasm because we seem to be moving in that direction. Waiting for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, using a $50 phone.

Hell yes. After I get these two games, I don't care what happens to PC gaming next :) jk

As we see the demise of PC gaming users like amk-aka-phantom switch over to MAC gaming, and the hit game "Whack-a-Jobs" (Get it whack jobs?! HAHAHAHA)

Lol, do a barrel roll

A game doesnt have to have jaw dropping effects to be good. go play frozen synapse, plants vs zombies, meat boy, and maybe buy the next humble indie bundle. all fun, not toys.

Go play Mass Effects, Dragon Age: Origins, BFBC2, DoW II... the game has to have a solid storyline and leave something behind it, not just help you to kill some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS