Epic: We Haven't Abandoned the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
the only reason they say they havnt forgotten the pc is because they program their games on pc!! the last game i played from epic on my pc was GoW and it really sucked hard because of the so many bugs!! there you can see they havnt abandoned the pc market... (sarcasm). This is just fault of those outdated consoles :(

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
S.T.F.U.

"There is a long life ahead for Unreal Engine 3. Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that." - Tim Sweeney, Founder of Epic Games

"To be honest, and I'm going to cast a small pall on the industry here, I don't think you're going to get much higher until the next generation of consoles... just now we're just barely coming into the sweet spot of the next-gen consoles... We're at the point where it's viable to ship games on these next-gen consoles and it's going to be a gold mine for a couple of years... Publishers are generally putting their money where the highest return is, and in the past that's been on consoles and I think that's still the case." - Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games

"I think people would rather make a game that sells 4.5 million copies than a million and 'Gears' is at 4.5 million right now on the 360. I think the PC is just in disarray… what's driving the PC right now is 'Sims'-type games and 'WoW' and a lot of stuff that's in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That's the direction PC is evolving into So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we're doing. It's important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we're at." - Cliff "CliffyB" Bleszinski, Design Director, Epic Games

"...high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC. Right now, it makes sense for us to focus on Xbox 360 for a number of reasons. Not least PCs with multiple configurations and piracy." - Cliff "CliffyB" Bleszinski, Design Director, Epic Games

"Consoles will pretty much define what the next five years of games look like on the PC..." - Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Everyone is straying away from PC gaming. Let's face it, most people play on consoles these days. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality.[/citation]

Um no. I have all three and I only play games on PC such as Bad Company 2, Oblivion 4 & Left 4 Dead 1+2. Steam is great!

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Um no. I have all three and I only play games on PC such as Bad Company 2, Oblivion 4 & Left 4 Dead 1+2. Steam is great![/citation]

Unfortunatally you would be in the minority of people :(

Personally, i am right there with you. Ill take PC over console any day of the week (trying to to FPS's without a mouse and keyboard is just torture). But the companies are going to go to where the money is.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
They might not have abandoned the pc, but they've definitely abandoned their Linux promises thus far. I'm disappointed with epic.
id software has proven to be a much better company in this respect.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
I stopped giving a **** about Epic when they claimed that Farmville was the future of PC gaming. Intelligent companies don't alienate an entire demographic simply for the sake of being snarky.

*Post edited by moderator* Cool it on the language.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I like the way Epic works, only working on 1 game at a time and getting it right. Bulletstorm looks like it would be fun, but the main character is a turn off for me. That the main character looks like a goofball makes me question how the game will end up.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
If its multi-platform, count me in for console unless its RTS of course then i have to play it on my PC. And from the looks of it Epic might never release a RTS. I can only wish they made the next Unreal exclusively for the PC, that would make me smile and buy it at retail price instead of waiting for the mere $10 that i bought UT3 for. Great game, i just hated it so much because it was multi-platform.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If anyone is seriously into gaming.. they don't play on a wannabe pc in the budget class labeled a console, which few seem to realizes gets more expensive in the end!

About 10'ish purchased games they could had a PC with far better performance AND those 10 games for the same money due to the extra fee that the consoles add to the game price tag (in order to sell the hardware cheaper). The more games after that the lesser the game experience will be compared to a pc where the extra "console tax" could have been poured into the system delivering that game... the rig allowing a solid performance with greater resolution ect. (Playing at 2560x1600 today, where is the console that can deliver any fps worth mentioning at that res?)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
There is no reason to HATE UT3 because its multi-platform... and the way the console market it... they'd be stupid crazy to make PC Exclusive games.

UT3 could have been great. The PC development team totally dropped the ball, there was NO reason to design the menu GUI to work like a damn console.

The UT3 Map designers SUCKED hard. Out of 32 maps for the 5 game types, only 2-3 maps were actually GOOD & FUN for ONS-AKA WAR and vCTF. People get BORED playing the same few maps over and over again.
So, by the time the UT fanbased was able to make good and great maps - the UT3 user base died. There are SO few servers out there with custom maps... and downloading custom maps is not exactly great with UT3.

In order to "save" UT3 (ala 3.5 or whatever) - they need to make it like UT2004 with LOTS of maps to keep people playing and wanting more. UT2004 came with about 120 maps. UT3.5 Needs to have 120+ maps. and re-ADD the Vehicle Zoom function that was part of UT2004. There is a a 16k MOD that adds the ZOOM function which makes UT3 much more fun! You can see your team-mates hitching a ride. BUT since its not included with the game, most of these empty servers don't use it.

Otherwise, the UT3 engine itself is very well designed.

The_One_and_Only

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I love it cause almost everyone I know that plays console, has a $500-$1000 "brand Name, no good for gaming" laptop/computer sitting somewhere collecting dust or playing farmville. I would equate it to most people being stupid and not understanding computer+console= more than gaming comp. ROFL....

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
PC games are where it's at unless you like sports or platform games. Any real/serious gamer will tell you a FPS is always best on the PC and consoles can't handle a good RTS. A good RPG is PC too, sadly consoles end up dumbing games down and the real sad part is most, if not all PC games are port jobs now days.

hal9k

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I like a PC for gaming simply because of the multi-functional capabilities of the platform. I game, surf, develop, make a call, IM, book a flight, book restaurant...etc. I see consoles are adding some of these multi-functional capabilities, so maybe some day, I'll only need the PC for development.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
"Consoles will pretty much define what the next five years of games look like on the PC..." - Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games
Yes they will choke the developers to design game that are graphically behind the time, just to run on an aging console. The FEAR series is an example where the graphics were dumbed down in second game so as to run smoothly on consoles.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Ofc both FPS and RPG are both far better on PC. More importantly, it's possible to make a far better and more interesting game for the PC, for a myriad of reasons which all have to do with the better resources. Consoles is a better market because the publishers, retailers and distributers decided to make it so, and then made it so. Do you know the reason? You should, but doubtless many of you are caught up in denial and the all the lies pirates keep telling themselves and each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.