Epic's Tim Sweeney Talks About Microsoft, Steam Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I don't want to have all my purchases go through Microsoft's store, but neither do I want a system that's so "open" that developers have unrestricted access.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'm just waiting and watching the progress of the Steam OS. It may very well become my go to OS if things progress the way they seems they will.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Steam for Linux is gaining games every day. Three of the more recent additions are Metro Last Light, Total War: Rome II, and the newly announced Civ game. No, it's not there yet but it's getting there.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
I'm a little confused when the author says, "Microsoft wants developers to focus on Windows 8, but when taking that route, games can only ship with Microsoft's permission and Microsoft's approval through Microsoft's store."

Is this referring to WinRT and WP8? I have yet to use the Store for a single thing in Win8/8.1 on my desktop. Old software (older than Win8 & the store), new software, whatever...I have not run into any instance where I couldn't run something because it wasn't MSFT-spproved.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm just waiting and watching the progress of the Steam OS. It may very well become my go to OS if things progress the way they seems they will.

SteamOS is not meant to replace a desktop. It is designed to sit under your TV and act as a media center, game launcher, and light web browser.

For actual productivity you would want a traditional Linux distro, and then you just install Steam from their repositories if it doesn't come bundled on the iso.

alextheblue

Distinguished
This is getting silly. Many of the complaints Tim Sweeney is leveling against Microsoft for their Store could be applied to Android (Google Play) and Steambox (Steam Platform controlled by Valve). Why is Microsoft not allowed to have their own store? They need it given the shift in revenue model (especially on mobile/lightweight platforms), and with universal binaries coming they need a unified storefront across all versions of Windows.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
This is getting silly. Many of the complaints Tim Sweeney is leveling against Microsoft for their Store could be applied to Android (Google Play) and Steambox (Steam Platform controlled by Valve). Why is Microsoft not allowed to have their own store? They need it given the shift in revenue model (especially on mobile/lightweight platforms), and with universal binaries coming they need a unified storefront across all versions of Windows.
Because Microsoft are a bunch of pirates that will fuck you in the ass the moment you bend over. Microsoft IS the limiting factor for innovation and development

Abricalio

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I've heard this argument a lot, and here's the reasons I see it different on PC: You can build a PC from your own hardware so there are very few limits to what your system can do. For this reason software must be equally as unlimited in scope. Steambox runs on a Linux os allowing any programs you want to be installed. Phones and consoles (PS/XBox) use limited proprietary hardware, and thus the software has equal limits imposed on it to ensure quality control. Windows was designed to be run on (almost) any x86 computer, with any hardware/peripherals (as long as you meet minimum requirements). A store goes against everything that is prized about PCs if MS tries to impose Android/iOS-type store lmitations.

npcomplete

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
I'm a little confused when the author says, "Microsoft wants developers to focus on Windows 8, but when taking that route, games can only ship with Microsoft's permission and Microsoft's approval through Microsoft's store."

Is this referring to WinRT and WP8? I have yet to use the Store for a single thing in Win8/8.1 on my desktop. Old software (older than Win8 & the store), new software, whatever...I have not run into any instance where I couldn't run something because it wasn't MSFT-spproved.

No, this is referring to all native Win 8 apps or programs (aka Metro) including those on PCs. ALL publicly available native apps MUST be distributed through Microsoft. You cannot install or distribute any native programs on your own, only "legacy" desktop programs.

This is why Microsoft is pushing Win 8 and Metro mode very hard and why they initially tried to force users into using Metro over the legacy dekstop. They want control and their 30% cut of their app store. This also means btw, content regulations on native apps/games conforming to Microsoft standards.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
No, this is referring to all native Win 8 apps or programs (aka Metro) including those on PCs. ALL publicly available native apps MUST be distributed through Microsoft. You cannot install or distribute any native programs on your own, only "legacy" desktop programs.

This is why Microsoft is pushing Win 8 and Metro mode very hard and why they initially tried to force users into using Metro over the legacy dekstop. They want control and their 30% cut of their app store. This also means btw, content regulations on native apps/games conforming to Microsoft standards.

Aaah, ok that makes sense. To hell with that. Hopefully MS has gotten the message by now that people aren't going for that model. If they haven't yet, they certainly will. The whole appeal of Windows is (was?) that developers could make anything and everything, and there is a program available to meet basically all needs. Based on the changes that have been made to Win8, it looks like MS understands that the Desktop Mode "model" is what people want. Changing the UI is one thing, but pulling an "iOS" on developers is just stupid given the market that Windows covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.