Epic's UE3 Runs Within Adobe's New Flash 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can claim UE3 graphics, but then there is nothing of any notable quality in the video, and some of the games that were shown were choppy. Hardly what I would call impressive, but still a great leap forward.

Props to Adobe for doing something good, but no good overselling it.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
This, is the reason why I said people jumping to html5 as the future for browser gaming were just being ignorant. Adobe was in control, and saw a threat, they weren't about to sit back and watch html5 drive by them. They saw a threat, and jumped way ahead before that threat even arrived, as any smart company would with that large of a heads up. html5 will still probably rule for videos, and everything but games, but browser games are still going to be flash, and that's not going to change for a long time. Armor Games, Newgrounds, Addicting Games, Kongregate, Bubblebox, Notdoppler, all of these guys are HUGE players in the flash game industry, they're not building companies around tech that's about to die out, think about it. Gamestop just bought Kongregate, you think their top analysts didn't look into flash and it's future? Nobody that big buys a smaller company that is about to be using worthless tech.

Great, so to use the hardware at our disposal we just add more useless layers for rendering and throw away power.

Jeez... It's no feat to run UE3 inside a browser, it's just a waste of resources!

This whole "HTML5 vs Adove" thing is just stupid. It's like talking about OGL vs DX in the early days ALL OVER AGAIN!

Cheers! >_

f-14

Distinguished
meh, everything has the look of 1999 kids games
oh look steve jobs does not want to support flash and apples #1 one game is yep a game that runs on flash, because there's only so much angry birds you can play before it sucks!
what game is that at 1:25 - 1:33 because if that is the diablo3 beta i'm going to be pissed.

G

html5, as I understand is still in middle of development, and standardization process. Parts already available for testing, but it's probably too buggy and too much vulnerable for exploits to be deployed in production.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
wow , looks liek i'l need to finally upgrade my adobe flash pro for school . that said , i knew adobe was going to come up with soe way to make flash remain relivant to the market. even if they started workign on this for html 5 it would set them back majorly to try to incorperate similar rfeatures into it at this point .

G

Adobe scum, lets see the proof "So far there's no indication of when we'll see the likes of Unreal Tournament 3 on Facebook or some other Flash 11-enabled website, so stay tuned."
Epic should have put their efforts towards developing HTML5/WebGL instead of wasting their time with bloatware

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
It is great to see Adobe react and release a better version of Flash. I'm impressed, but not overly so. The demo looks pretty choppy, and none of the games were super impressive.

Still it's the ability to see what's possible ... which is exciting. If they can get games to run in a web browser, it also opens up lots of possibilities for web pages and web apps.

As a web designer, I look forward to designing fully-3D websites with Kinect control. Oh yes, Minority Report keeps getting closer :)

It's also worthy to note that as dominant as the web is as a source of entertainment and information, it will surely drive other user interfaces and lead the way.

nitzero

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I am not sure if it has anything to do with it but my mother's computer is a Core 2 Quad 9400 with a Radeon 5570 which is not a super computer but it's quite decent.

You can't run Farmville any many other flash games on it without extremely low frame rates on either browser (IE 9, Chrome, Opera) on a somewhat powerful machine usually taking 25% load on a quad core CPU (which means it would take 100% on a single chip)

Running Nintendo 64 graphic-like games in 2011 using 100% of the CPU? Hell no!

If it's lightweight enough to run on a low/mid end computer/phone bring it on!

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I thought Flash was dead and it was all HTML5 from now on? What's this then?[/citation]

This is the Stage 3D API, which actually makes Flash a decent option for gaming in the browser. The tests that I have tried so far looks like desktop games from a few years ago, which is quite nice considering it's done in the browser with flash on a not to powerful computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS