Question Eps cpu power problem

Jan 5, 2020
My psu has only 1x4 pin cable and my board has 8 pins of supply demand. What do?

What do I say to the local store? Should I say I'm looking for an eps 1x4 to match with the one on the psu?

Buying a new psu at this moment is out of the pockets ability.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can use a 4pin EPS in 8pin, as it's not an 8pin but a 4+4pin. So it'll fit into one of the sides. The EPS is a cpu supplemental supply, much of what the cpu needs comes from the 20+4pin mains, it's mostly small OC, boost clocks, turbo power needs that come from EPS, so many cpus don't have a need for more than 4pins, only the biggest cpus and overclockable cpus do.

If your cpu will require an 8pin EPS, it is what it is and you'll need a psu to power it, regardless of cost. If your cpu only requires a 4pin, it'll work on a 4+4pin mobo just as well as a 4pin mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Owch. That's bad. They are lying through their teeth about the capabilities of that psu. I'm sorry but when a 12v rail states 40A and then comes back with a 367w, those numbers aren't even closely related. Watts = volts x amps. If they said 30A, (367 / 12 = 30.583) that'd be ok.

Honestly, I'd not trust it to be that much, probably a 500w rating on a 250w psu. Would explain the 4pin EPS as that's 12v.

Connectors:
1x CPU EPS Connector 4Pin
2x Molex 4pin
4x SATA Connectors
1x ATX Connector 20+4pin

Not even a single 6pin pcie. Those folks have exactly Zero faith in a 500w psu. My Seasonic 520w did have a 40A 12v rail, 4+4pin EPS, 6pin pcie and a 6+2pin pcie.

Sorry, but it's hard to find a bigger piece of junk that's supposed to resemble a power supply for a pc. The word fire hazard would be an understatement.

Jan 5, 2020
It's not like I can do anything financially to intercept this. My pocket allows only a minimal amount of expenses. I'll have to stand on this for the next 3 or so months. After that who knows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you must use it, don't push the pc very hard. Stick to lighter games and workloads that won't require a great expenditure of power. Our major concern is that the psu is of such poor quality that it'll not have any real protective circuitry and may end up costing you the entire pc if it goes badly.