[SOLVED] Epson LQ 310 paper jam issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2021
Hi guys.
This is my first time posting here.

I would like to find out more about dot matrix printer paper jam issues.
Currently workplace has a few Epson LQ310 dot matrix printers.
When doing printing for a few pieces of continuous forms, things are normal.
But when doing continuous printing (10pcs or more) , the sprocket holes at the left and right side start to misalign causing printing misalignment at the 2nd ply, 3rd ply of carbon, etc, and then causing paper to finally jam.

Can anyone here please help if anyone of you has encountered this problem?

Thanks

Solution
Where are you purchasing the paper? Cheap paper can be very problematic.

If the paper and holes are not square then the pages will go out of alignment.

There may be enough tolerance for a minor misalignment but as the misalignment increases at the 10 pcs mark then one margin or the other will go out of square and jam.

But there can be other reasons as well.

This printer?

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/lq300_/lq300_u1.pdf

Read the section about Continuous paper starting on physically numbered Page 2-7. However, before doing actually doing anything, review the entire User's Guide. Not at all uncommon that, over time, something relevant, starts being forgotten and overlooked.

Appendix A-4: Paper specs...

Ralston18

Titan
Where are you purchasing the paper? Cheap paper can be very problematic.

If the paper and holes are not square then the pages will go out of alignment.

There may be enough tolerance for a minor misalignment but as the misalignment increases at the 10 pcs mark then one margin or the other will go out of square and jam.

But there can be other reasons as well.

This printer?

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/lq300_/lq300_u1.pdf

Read the section about Continuous paper starting on physically numbered Page 2-7. However, before doing actually doing anything, review the entire User's Guide. Not at all uncommon that, over time, something relevant, starts being forgotten and overlooked.

Appendix A-4: Paper specs.

Troubleshooting is in Chapter 3.

Start by inspecting and cleaning rollers, sprockets, etc.. just a a matter of elimination. Reference the printer's User's Guide as applicable.

Then try some other continuous 3 ply paper of any sort - just for testing purposes. Determine if the problem continues.

Hopefully the problem will be easily identified and corrected.

Solution
Nov 22, 2021
Hi Ralston18,

Thank you very much for your reply.
We sourced the paper from a local printing company. They have struggled to give us an
effective solution. Suggesting that it might be our printer's issue - aging, cleanliness, etc.
The printer model is LQ310 which is widely used because of its relatively cheap price here locally.
Paper is a 4ply NCR. The notch on the printer is set at no.5.

Unfortunately we are still facing the same problem after almost a year.

Please find attached link for the images.
View: https://imgur.com/a/YOCTOxW

Perhaps this can give you a clearer idea about the issue.

As you can see, the sprocket hole has slowly misaligned after continuous running for almost 10pcs and finally causing a paper jam.
I have cleaned the roller with alcohol, but still no luck.

Ralston18

Titan
Just for the record this is a year old thread and would normally be closed to further postings.

However, because of the history and details I will leave the thread open.

= = = =

Are those four little vertical marks every 2,3, or 4 sprocket holes apart actual paper tears?

Do the vertical marks match any physical part of the printer?

How firmly are the latches holding down the paper over the sprockets in place? In other words, will the paper slip a bit if you use a finger to slide the paper up/down or left/right while the paper is latched down over the sprockets?

Two things caught my attention so I googled for the printer's User Manual. Do verify that I found the applicable manual.

Printer Manual:

http://support2.epson.net/manuals/english/sidm/lq_310/bps0136-01_ug/html/paper_1.htm

Double check both the physical setup and your paper loading/removal procedures. It could be that some small detail has been overlooked or forgotten with time.

Maybe some earlier adjustment that worked for awhile but may be no longer necessary or applicable.

Reference the section on Printing with Continuous Paper.

= = = =

You mentioned:

"Paper is a 4ply NCR. The notch on the printer is set at no.5. "

Why 5? That is a setting for envelopes.

Reference the section on Adjusting the Paper Thickness Lever.

And note the trailing paragraph regarding Multipart forms.

= = = =

Overall, ask your paper supplier to provide you with some other higher quality continuous forms 4-ply for testing purposes. If you have been a good customer I would expect that they would do so.

The objective being to determine if the current forms have become so thin, slick, or otherwise degraded that the pages simply cannot hold up to the mechanics of being printed out.

It's very likely that at the age of that printer that a complete rebuild of the feed system is required. It's extremely likely that the platen is hard as a rock and slick as a pane of glass which will also cause feed problems. The heavier/thicker the stock the more these things will result in feed issues.

Nov 22, 2021
Hi Ralston 18,

Those four little mark according to supplier are the crimping to hold the paper in place. This 4 ply NCR has 7 crimping mark through out the whole 11" size. The marks are not at the same position each page. Some of the crimping are 4 sprocket (2") apart, and some of them are 2 sprocket hole (1") apart. Supplier's feedback the crimping are meant to hold the paper firmly, with 7 crimping mark through out 11", it is considered a strong hold, and they cannot figure out why the paper starts sliding off each other after just only few pages of printing. They do have some other customers complaining about the same issue, but the percentage is low based on their total production. They only can suggest that we don't use it for continuous printing more than 10pcs, tear it off every now and then. Resume printing after tear off the paper.

Following your comment, I did a test and I am able to slide off the paper (up down, left right) bit by bit by applying rubbing motion using thumb and index finger holding the paper. One crimping starts to slip off, but others are still holding in place. I think that can explain why the supplier has introduce the amounts of crimping mentioned above.

Ya, that's the correct printer model manual. (LQ310).
Regarding the notch, I have tried on all different number, any 1 to 5,6, the problem is the same.
Also tried on many paper seating, put on the floor and pull up for feeding, every possible direction of paper going in and out, no luck still.

It's the best paper my supplier can supply, in fact, due to supply chain issue, this is the only paper they have.

Nov 22, 2021
It's very likely that at the age of that printer that a complete rebuild of the feed system is required. It's extremely likely that the platen is hard as a rock and slick as a pane of glass which will also cause feed problems. The heavier/thicker the stock the more these things will result in feed issues.

Hi ex_bubblehead,

Thanks for your reply,
the platen is the one roller that turn and roll the paper through feeding, am I right? It is indeed very hard as a rock. Isn't it supposed to be that hard? Because I have no experience using a new printer, sadly speaking. Does the new printer original platen roller feel softer?

Hi ex_bubblehead,

Thanks for your reply,
the platen is the one roller that turn and roll the paper through feeding, am I right?
Same as a typewriter, yes.
It is indeed very hard as a rock. Isn't it supposed to be that hard? Because I have no experience using a new printer, sadly speaking. Does the new printer original platen roller feel softer?
There should be some (not a lot) of give when squeezed. The surface should also be dull and textured (somewhat like a tire). Hard and shiny is not good.

Reactions: Hamstertan

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Supplier's feedback the crimping are meant to hold the paper firmly, with 7 crimping mark through out 11", it is considered a strong hold, and they cannot figure out why the paper starts sliding off each other after just only few pages of printing " [My underline.]

Considered strong but seemingly not strong enough.

That and the roller being hard and shiny (per @ex_bubblehead ) means that there is a combination of things causing the printing problems.

Paper quality and roller deterioration being the foremost two.

If nothing can be done about the paper, then see if someone can find and install a new roller.

A new roller being sufficient to properly feed the paper and hopefully overcome or otherwise compensate for the paper crimping/slipping problems.

Reactions: Hamstertan
Status
Not open for further replies.