[SOLVED] Epson network (wired) Receipt Printers not printing after modem change

Jun 30, 2020
Hi THW

I have a cafe business with two Point of Sale (POS) machines running Windows 10. The POS machines are connected to my network via ethernet. I have three receipt printers that deliver orders to - Kitchen, Barista, Cafe POS, depending on the nature of the order. The Kitchen and Barista printers are connected to my network via ethernet. The Cafe POS printer is directly connected to POS1 via USB.

Yesterday I migrated from a DSL service to fiber. I had to install a new modem / router. The broadband / network is working fine, however the Kitchen and Barista printers are not receiving / printing orders. All orders are being delayed then re-directed to the USB connected Cafe POS machine. This is how my POS software is setup if it can't find the correct printer - it re-directs to the Cafe POS printer.

I can't work out what the problem is. The Printers are listed in the POS machine's printers list, though that may be because they were there before the modem change. But I would have thought so long as the driver is installed on the POS machines they should still be able to talk to the printers, regardless of the network change.... same printers, same POS, same driver, same ethernet cables and data points....just different modem delivering the service. When the print fails there is an error message displayed, but it is from my POS software, so I expect to see that.

I am suspecting an IP config error of some kind. I haven't done anything other than turn the printers off and on and restart the POS machines to see if they can find each other. They can't. I have not attempted to remove and reinstall the printers on the POS machines.

I do have a network switch where all the ethernet points run to. The only changes I have made there are to connect the RJ45 phone cable from the old DSL modem phone jack to the new modem phone jack so my net phone will work. I also had to swap the ethernet cable from the WAN port on the old DSL modem to the WAN port on the new modem.

Ideas?

Solution
Thanks for the replies. I have accessed the modem. The printers don't even appear as devices on the network.

So you need to troubleshoot the connections from printers to the switch. Test the cables they are on with a laptop to see if the ports are live and what IP you get if any, if the links are good reset the printer to defaults and see if they pick up an IP.

Is everything connected to this modem/router combo device you got directly? How is everything wired, especially the printers, are they on a switch or another router? Is it a smart switch that can be configured by port?
Yes it's likely an IP issue, check the IP on the printers, it is likely not the same as they were. If the printers were set to use DHCP the router change is pretty certain to have assigned them a new IP. Even if they were set to static IPs if those IPs were not reserved then the router could have assigned those IPs to another device.

Thanks for the replies. I have accessed the modem. The printers don't even appear as devices on the network.

So you need to troubleshoot the connections from printers to the switch. Test the cables they are on with a laptop to see if the ports are live and what IP you get if any, if the links are good reset the printer to defaults and see if they pick up an IP.

Is everything connected to this modem/router combo device you got directly? How is everything wired, especially the printers, are they on a switch or another router? Is it a smart switch that can be configured by port?

Solution