Epson Perfection 1650

I have this Epson scanner and need to scan a bunch of old family photos.
Will some of the newer scanners make any difference in quality or would it
be a waste of money? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

No one scanner can do everything well and rapidly, he said tritely. Are
your old family photos mostly 3x5 or 4x6 snapshots processed thru a
drugstore dropoff and now warping diagonally? Then shouldn't the question
focus on comparing convenience of handling rather quality of imaging? Do
you still have most of the negative strips? Altho the 1650 has a 35mm
adapter, it is still a question of comparing convenience of handling. Is
your intended audience for your archives just all in the family to watch
slideshows in 800x600 images on the computer monitor??? Then scanner
speed should be a higher priority than the outer limits of dynamic range
or depth of bit capture. Do you have other things to do with your life,
like look to your wife and children? Then consider using a commercial
service for burning the stuff to CD/DVD.
Your scanner can do many of these things within a narrow range of
performance, but the bundled software may not handle well the multi image
batch scan, so is money a higher priority question for you?
I'm working on media from 100+ yr old tintypes thru 35mm Kodachrome and
6x6 Agfachrome mounted slides, 127(?) 126(?) SuperSlides, 4x6 and 4x4
color and B&W prints, 8x10 enlargements of weddings..... So currently I'm
using the Epson 2480 LE for its mini-document feeder and light table for
prints, and both M/K Dimage Multi and Kodak's discontinued RFS 3570 for
35mm and 120 pos and negs, and hacking on redundant masks to hold the odd
size formats. I've burned up and thrown out several HP, Umax, and Canon
$80 -130 price range flatbeds and PrimeFilm xx00 film scanners. The
2480LE's settop print feeder is wonderful for batching stacks of same size
drugstore prints; answers my rather modest expectations. Many other
possible combinations of pricepoints by expectations by workflow by
equipment.
Regards,
Theo Crow

--
Pessimists remain remorse precisely because they are too right too often.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I should have expanded. The photos are all
old prints in a photo album and my sister would like a copy. We have no
negatives just the prints mainly small sizes 2x3, 3x4 and 4x6. There are
about 4 books and I haven't counted them, but probably a few hundred. Kids
are grown and now the wife is an ex so no duties at home. Would I see any
difference between the 1650 and 2480 or is it a matter of the extras that
would just be nicer and easier to use on the 2480?
"theo" <hazel_iz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> No one scanner can do everything well and rapidly, he said tritely. Are
> your old family photos mostly 3x5 or 4x6 snapshots processed thru a
> drugstore dropoff and now warping diagonally? Then shouldn't the question
> focus on comparing convenience of handling rather quality of imaging? Do
> you still have most of the negative strips? Altho the 1650 has a 35mm
> adapter, it is still a question of comparing convenience of handling. Is
> your intended audience for your archives just all in the family to watch
> slideshows in 800x600 images on the computer monitor??? Then scanner
> speed should be a higher priority than the outer limits of dynamic range
> or depth of bit capture. Do you have other things to do with your life,
> like look to your wife and children? Then consider using a commercial
> service for burning the stuff to CD/DVD.
> Your scanner can do many of these things within a narrow range of
> performance, but the bundled software may not handle well the multi image
> batch scan, so is money a higher priority question for you?
> I'm working on media from 100+ yr old tintypes thru 35mm Kodachrome and
> 6x6 Agfachrome mounted slides, 127(?) 126(?) SuperSlides, 4x6 and 4x4
> color and B&W prints, 8x10 enlargements of weddings..... So currently I'm
> using the Epson 2480 LE for its mini-document feeder and light table for
> prints, and both M/K Dimage Multi and Kodak's discontinued RFS 3570 for
> 35mm and 120 pos and negs, and hacking on redundant masks to hold the odd
> size formats. I've burned up and thrown out several HP, Umax, and Canon
> $80 -130 price range flatbeds and PrimeFilm xx00 film scanners. The
> 2480LE's settop print feeder is wonderful for batching stacks of same size
> drugstore prints; answers my rather modest expectations. Many other
> possible combinations of pricepoints by expectations by workflow by
> equipment.
> Regards,
> Theo Crow
>

>> I have this Epson scanner and need to scan a bunch of old family photos.
>> Will some of the newer scanners make any difference in quality or would
>> it be a waste of money? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>>

> --
> Pessimists remain remorse precisely because they are too right too often.

If you want to print the scanned photos on a Photo Printer. Use a good
quality Photo Paper.

For making copies of photos, Scan them at 300 dpi in color if Color photos,
scan at 300 dpi and gray scale if a black and white photo. 300 dpi will
"get" all of the usable information contained in a photographic print. To
make same sized prints, print at 300 dpi.

If you want to make a 2X enlargement, scan at 600 dpi and print at 300 dpi.
The 600 dpi scan will not give you more detail, it will just give you the
pixels needed to print at 2X size.

Use a easy to use program such as Irfanview to scan then print. Irfanview
has the print scaling built into the Printer dialog.
Irfanview is a really great program for scanning then printing. PC only, No
Mac.
http://www.irfanview.com

Get the plug-ins also, Irfanview is not complete without the plug-ins.
The best part is Irfanview is free.

If you want to create digital files of the photos just save them when you
scan.
If you want to take the digital files to a photo printer just take TIFF or
high quality .Jpg files. Some photo finishers allow uploading the files via
the Internet. Wal-mart has that service. Send the files and pick up the
photos at the local Wal-mart.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Bob Fallona" <bfallona@qwest.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the detailed reply. I should have expanded. The photos are all
> old prints in a photo album and my sister would like a copy. We have no
> negatives just the prints mainly small sizes 2x3, 3x4 and 4x6. There are
> about 4 books and I haven't counted them, but probably a few hundred.
> Kids are grown and now the wife is an ex so no duties at home. Would I
> see any difference between the 1650 and 2480 or is it a matter of the
> extras that would just be nicer and easier to use on the 2480?
> "theo" <hazel_iz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> No one scanner can do everything well and rapidly, he said tritely. Are
>> your old family photos mostly 3x5 or 4x6 snapshots processed thru a
>> drugstore dropoff and now warping diagonally? Then shouldn't the question
>> focus on comparing convenience of handling rather quality of imaging? Do
>> you still have most of the negative strips? Altho the 1650 has a 35mm
>> adapter, it is still a question of comparing convenience of handling. Is
>> your intended audience for your archives just all in the family to watch
>> slideshows in 800x600 images on the computer monitor??? Then scanner
>> speed should be a higher priority than the outer limits of dynamic range
>> or depth of bit capture. Do you have other things to do with your life,
>> like look to your wife and children? Then consider using a commercial
>> service for burning the stuff to CD/DVD.
>> Your scanner can do many of these things within a narrow range of
>> performance, but the bundled software may not handle well the multi image
>> batch scan, so is money a higher priority question for you?
>> I'm working on media from 100+ yr old tintypes thru 35mm Kodachrome and
>> 6x6 Agfachrome mounted slides, 127(?) 126(?) SuperSlides, 4x6 and 4x4
>> color and B&W prints, 8x10 enlargements of weddings..... So currently
>> I'm using the Epson 2480 LE for its mini-document feeder and light table
>> for prints, and both M/K Dimage Multi and Kodak's discontinued RFS 3570
>> for 35mm and 120 pos and negs, and hacking on redundant masks to hold the
>> odd size formats. I've burned up and thrown out several HP, Umax, and
>> Canon $80 -130 price range flatbeds and PrimeFilm xx00 film scanners.
>> The 2480LE's settop print feeder is wonderful for batching stacks of same
>> size drugstore prints; answers my rather modest expectations. Many other
>> possible combinations of pricepoints by expectations by workflow by
>> equipment.
>> Regards,
>> Theo Crow
>>

>>> I have this Epson scanner and need to scan a bunch of old family photos.
>>> Will some of the newer scanners make any difference in quality or would
>>> it be a waste of money? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>>>

>> --
>> Pessimists remain remorse precisely because they are too right too often.

> Would I see any difference between the 1650 and 2480 or is it a matter
> of the extras that would just be nicer and easier to use on the 2480?
Resolution for prints? No. 300 ppi is 300 ppi. Color? Probably
not. Extras are why I spent the extra $90 for the min-doc feeder beyond
the $90 for the basic flatbed.
Ditto on carlmcmillan's comments especially for irfanview. But be a
mensch, kick him a couple of bucks for a good product with good support.
>> Your scanner can do many of these things within a narrow range of
>> performance, but the bundled software may not handle well the multi
>> image batch scan, so is money a higher priority question for you?
The newer scanners are generally somewhat faster at 300 or 600 ppi than
yours, and they use faster/broader USB 2.0 vs 1.1 for talking to your
computer, but unless you compare by flicking the stopwatch button on your
multi-function wristwatch, not enough to make you run to Best Buy.
However, scanner firmware and bundled software compatibility to your OS
may be an issue. This model (still available thru Amazon and others) was
new when Win98 was current (well into 2001). Some reported this package
will not play nice with WinXP, some change the compatibility flag for the
device to get most of its features to work. The auto mode will "snap" a
reflective medium that is some degrees off-axis to a rectangular
orientation image, and recognize several reflective objects on the glass
for a multi image batch scan, but attempts to change settings will negate
the auto function for that scan.
More on handling. Removing the print from the album may leave flecks of
the print stuck to its glassine or acetate window or envelope. But
scanning thru the envelope is impractical and introduces the fog of the
window into your saved image. I hope others can direct you to a
speciality store or site to learn to dissolve the adhering bits and not
rip a hole out of Gramma's wedding veil.
Regarding your sister's request: not dissing, just frugal: initially save
your scanned images into TIFF format, do your editing then sample down to
a PNG or JPG format, overlay a slideshow or album app and burn to CD, let
her use her printer ink and her photo paper to print the ones she likes.
She doesn't have a computer? Some DVD players will accept some photo CDs
for viewing on TV; your mileage may vary.
Regards,
Theo

Bob Fallona wrote:
> I have this Epson scanner and need to scan a bunch of old family photos.
> Will some of the newer scanners make any difference in quality or would it
> be a waste of money? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I have a 1650 and have scanned quite a few old
pictures. This model does an excellent job. I
doubt that a new model would be much of an
improvement since you should scan at around 300.
Anything higher than that takes a lot more time,
makes very large files, and won't provide any
improvement when printing at 1:1 (same size
picture as the original). Paper handling would be
improved with some scanners, but much improved
would probably cost a bundle. However a new
scanner could come with improved software if you
have old stuff. And, the scanner with the
software may not cost much more than the software
alone.

theo wrote:
>> Would I see any difference between the 1650 and 2480 or is it a
>> matter of the extras that would just be nicer and easier to use on
>> the 2480?
>
> Resolution for prints? No. 300 ppi is 300 ppi. Color? Probably
> not. Extras are why I spent the extra $90 for the min-doc feeder
> beyond the $90 for the basic flatbed.
> Ditto on carlmcmillan's comments especially for irfanview. But be a
> mensch, kick him a couple of bucks for a good product with good support.
>
>>> Your scanner can do many of these things within a narrow range of
>>> performance, but the bundled software may not handle well the multi
>>> image batch scan, so is money a higher priority question for you?
>
> The newer scanners are generally somewhat faster at 300 or 600 ppi than
> yours, and they use faster/broader USB 2.0 vs 1.1 for talking to your
> computer, but unless you compare by flicking the stopwatch button on
> your multi-function wristwatch, not enough to make you run to Best
> Buy. However, scanner firmware and bundled software compatibility to
> your OS may be an issue. This model (still available thru Amazon and
> others) was new when Win98 was current (well into 2001). Some reported
> this package will not play nice with WinXP, some change the
> compatibility flag for the device to get most of its features to work.
> The auto mode will "snap" a reflective medium that is some degrees
> off-axis to a rectangular orientation image, and recognize several
> reflective objects on the glass for a multi image batch scan, but
> attempts to change settings will negate the auto function for that scan.
> More on handling. Removing the print from the album may leave flecks
> of the print stuck to its glassine or acetate window or envelope. But
> scanning thru the envelope is impractical and introduces the fog of the
> window into your saved image. I hope others can direct you to a
> speciality store or site to learn to dissolve the adhering bits and not
> rip a hole out of Gramma's wedding veil.
> Regarding your sister's request: not dissing, just frugal: initially
> save your scanned images into TIFF format, do your editing then sample
> down to a PNG or JPG format, overlay a slideshow or album app and burn
> to CD, let her use her printer ink and her photo paper to print the
> ones she likes. She doesn't have a computer? Some DVD players will
> accept some photo CDs for viewing on TV; your mileage may vary.
> Regards,
> Theo

Lot of good ideas but I have a couple of comments.

I have that model and use it for scanning prints,
negatives, and slides, and I have XP. I have no
problems and the only issue is the widely
documented copy function which wants an Epson
printer. There are work arounds, but I don't need
that function. The OP would not want to use copy
as he likely would like to massage the image
before printing. I don't think that USB 1 or 2 is
an issue since the paper handling would require so
much more time. Computer memory and speed would
be a much greater factor in the total process.