Question Epson Perfection crops edges of scanned documents ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Epson Scan app used with an Epson Perfection V37 shows scanned documents with edges cropped (top, bottom, left and right). Each document scanned appears with one cropped edge per scan. The cropping appears to happen randomly. I have been unable to find a setting related to this. How can this problem be eliminated? Tnx

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
There is no Auto Detect in the Epson Scan app. In the Professional Mode only there is a setting for Document Size. The default is already set for paper size of 8 1/2 " x 11.00". None of the documents I have tried to scan is larger than that. Some are much smaller, and they also get cropped.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
In order to eliminate the Epson software try VueScan . It's free to use for a short time without purchasing a license. You should also ensure that you're using the most current drivers and software from the Epson site.

There's also a question on the Epson site that may be relevant (https://epson.com/faq/SPT_B11B207201~faq-223716?faq_cat=faq-8796127275084)
Moving the document 3mm away from designated position arrow had no effect. I tried doing another driver update. It appears to me that Epson does not provide driver updates as a stand alone item. The update installer was found to download a replacement copy of the Epson Scan app with the driver combined. Unfortunately the problem was found to have progressed to a more severe level.

To explain, previously when starting, the App had been displaying the message “ cannot communicate with the scanner”. It did not include an error code. It was found that closing and restarting the app did not resolve this problem. But it was found that restarting the PC always temporarily resolve the problem.

After installing the update, the app communication problem now cannot be overcome by restarting the PC. In effect the Epson Scanner app has been become completely unusable. Oddly the Epson website does not state that the downloaded driver is compatible with Windows 11. Could this be the root cause of the problems? I am planning on running the System File Checker tonight to possibly find a error in the operating system. If not, I will try the vuescan.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Initially I did not feel that having Windows 11 was an issue. The Epson website had no alerts about W11 incapability. I just assumed that Epson would out of professional courtesy would have added a advisory to the website. No other postings reported having or knowing about the change.
This now raises the question of whether the Vue Scan is compatible with W11, or will I have purchase a replacement scanner. FYI, Luckily, I was able to undo the PC to scanner communication problem by running system restore point. The Epson Scan app still crops documents. Quite by accident I discovered the cannot scan at all using the other three modes. Only the Full Auto Mode can actually scan anything.
Tonight I will plan on installing Vue Scan. Thanks for your help.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Follow Up

Removing the Epson software in favor of the Vuescan the Vuescan reports it also was unable to connect to the Epson Perfection V37 scanner. It displayed the error window shown below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creative Cloud.Exe – Application Error

The instruction at 0x00007FF9E2849SA89 referenced

memory at 0x0000000000000010. The memory could not be read.​

The Epson website reports that changing the port in use can resolve the communication problem. Moving from the USB 3.0 port to a 2.0 port did not solve the problem.

Additionally a check of the scanner in the device manager under other devices reported an incompatilty problem with the driver. Windows also then reported that W11 could not find a driver and to go to the Epson website. In theory when had previously installed their designated combined driver an scanner app this seems unlikely to already have installed the correct driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.