Epson Perfection Scanner 1640

Hi,

I have installed and reinstalled the software and the latest twain 5.06
software for the Epson scanner.
The Epson Smart Panel comes up but when I try to scan a document there is a
prompt indicating that the scanner cannot be detected or another application
is using it, retry.
It is a USB interface and the operating system is W98. There are 2 USB
connections on the computer and the other USB connection has a Hub connected
to it. Only one card reader is connected to it.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bert

"Bert" <2picks1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have installed and reinstalled the software and the latest twain 5.06
> software for the Epson scanner.
> The Epson Smart Panel comes up but when I try to scan a document there is
> prompt indicating that the scanner cannot be detected or another
> application
> is using it, retry.
> It is a USB interface and the operating system is W98. There are 2 USB
> connections on the computer and the other USB connection has a Hub
> connected
> to it. Only one card reader is connected to it.
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
> Bert

Start by unplugging all the other USB devices and plugging the Epson 1640
scanner directly to the USB port on the computer.

Then try scanning using the TWAIN interface via a Photo Editor such as free
Irfanview.
http://www.irfanview.com

Get the plug-ins for Irfanview (necessary) if/when you download. In
Irfanview File>Select Source then File>Acquire.

Or Photoshop Elements.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

In article <IVuFe.9750$ab2.873@trndny07>, "Bert" <2picks1@verizon.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed and reinstalled the software and the latest twain 5.06
> software for the Epson scanner.
> The Epson Smart Panel comes up but when I try to scan a document there is a
> prompt indicating that the scanner cannot be detected or another application
> is using it, retry.

A long shot - don't they have a little lock button underneath? I think
if the scanner is locked it gives a rather obscure message in the Smart
Panel. Although my experience is with 2400 and 2480 scanners.

Anonymous, you just made my day!
Irfanview is my favorite picture viewer and I use it every day. I have tried to find the Epson Smart Panel for my newly re-activated Epson scanner but to think that all I need is to tell Irfan where to look ....
Thank you very much.