[SOLVED] Epson "Scan 2" software for ET4700 printer... What is the problem?

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
So we've had an Epson ET4700 for about a year now and it runs perfectly EXCEPT for when we try to Scan from the control panel of the printer. When you go to Scan, then pick your file type (jpg, pdf...) it should then display ALL the PCs on the network that are running the Epson Scan 2 software which installs "Epson Event Manager" in the background. However, it only ever shows 1 pc. We've got 8 PCs connected and only 1 shows. Not a specific one either... it will always change for no reason at all. I think it looks for the PCs and whichever PC responds to the printer first is the one that it displays. It makes no sense.

Tried talking to Epson support... in India... the first HOUR i was on with them she just ran me through all the normal crap that we've already did over and over again since we got the printer. Turn off all the firewalls, ping the printer from the PCs, print from the PCs, use Scan 2 to scan from the PCs... yeah yeah yeah, all been done and all works perfectly fine. The 2nd HOUR she routed me to ANOTHER rep, Tier 2 I guess... same thing, this time uninstall Epson Event Manager and re-install and it should work. Nope. Ahhh ok can you please hold? Useless... then get put on hold 8 different times to talk to someone else why this is happening. Nope, still can't figure it out so I get hung-up on. OKAY!

So, does anyone have any idea as to why the control panel on the printer ONLY SHOWS 1 random pc at a time and not ALL the pc's that are connected?

Thanks all!

Solution
Never working from the start....

Frankly that seems to me to be a firmware issue. And something I think Epson would know about and fix.

However, trying to find a way to prove that or any other issue could be a bit demanding.

Have you been able to try changing any of the PC's respective "Network Scan Names"?

In order to list the PC names means there must be some table somewhere that the printer accesses to get the respective "Network Scan Names", the PC's IP address, and possibly the MAC.

A corrupted "table" would certainly wreak havoc in some form or another.

I would be curious about any error messages that may be being captured on the target PC's when an attempt to scan to any given target PC is made. Reliability History, or...
Do you have any other software that doesn't work properly over the network ?

Could it be the software in question demand admin rights to work properly ?

How is the network set up? What kind of router are in use? Do you know if the software require a special IP port being open?

Ralston18

Titan
And it did work correctly (i.e., showed all 8 PC's) up to some recent point in time - correct?

Any signs or indications of a printer firmware update? Did Epson Support even mention that....?

This printer?

https://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/6331/epson633108eu.pdf

And the scanning procedure you use appears starting on physically numbered Page 110.

What is the Network Scan Name (Alphanumeric) setting?

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
1. Do you have any other software that doesn't work properly over the network ?

2. Could it be the software in question demand admin rights to work properly ?

3. How is the network set up? What kind of router are in use? Do you know if the software require a special IP port being open?

1. No, this is the only issue. There is never a problem with anything else.

2. Tried to allow Admin when starting Epson Event Manager, nothing changed. According to Epson, the Scan 2 software is only used when hitting the Scan button from the PC... going through the control panel on the Printer itself, it just uses Epson Event Manager.

3. We've had a Comcast router, an ATT router and now use Unifi USG router... same problem over all of them.

1. And it did work correctly (i.e., showed all 8 PC's) up to some recent point in time - correct?

2. Any signs or indications of a printer firmware update? Did Epson Support even mention that....?

3. This printer?

https://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/6331/epson633108eu.pdf

And the scanning procedure you use appears starting on physically numbered Page 110.

4. What is the Network Scan Name (Alphanumeric) setting?

1. No, this has never worked correctly... no more then 1 pc shows on that control panel at a time since we got the unit about a year ago.

2. There are new firmware updates every now and then when Epson pushes it to the printer. It's always up to date but the issue is never fixed.

3. Yes that is the printer and yes pg 110 is the procedure used, it's pretty simple and it even states right there that it will list up to 20 PCs at a time.

4. Each PCs "Network Scan Name" is different, so there is no conflict there. One or two of the names even flash quickly as it decided which single PC to display at that particular time. You exit out and go back to the Home page then go back into Scan, it may show a new PC name, or the same again. It's a crap shoot which one it decides to display at that moment.

Ralston18

Titan

Frankly that seems to me to be a firmware issue. And something I think Epson would know about and fix.

However, trying to find a way to prove that or any other issue could be a bit demanding.

Have you been able to try changing any of the PC's respective "Network Scan Names"?

In order to list the PC names means there must be some table somewhere that the printer accesses to get the respective "Network Scan Names", the PC's IP address, and possibly the MAC.

I would be curious about any error messages that may be being captured on the target PC's when an attempt to scan to any given target PC is made. Reliability History, or Event Viewer. Last Activity Viewer is another diagnostic tool.

Eventually ending up with only one viewable target PC after flashing two or three options suggests that some process is taking place to search for PC's, finding some, but only showing one choice. A cap or limit of some sort.

It makes sense that scanning would be limited to just one target PC. That should not inhibit the search process.

Overall, once the scanner displays a PC what is unique about that PC? Was it the last to print, was it the last to send a print job, was it the last to obtain a DHCP IP address? Seems arbitrary but being software there must be a pattern. Possibly nested patterns if the code is problematic.

I would start by going in and out between the Home page and Scan a dozen times. Try to see and record the shown PC names. Make a list of the appearing PC's (if possible) or at least the final PC name that ends up being shown.

Compare that list to a listing of all PC's with the Scan 2 software, along with their respective IP addresses, MACs.

Turn off all PC's except one (probably only doable after normal work hours but such is often case in the IT world.....)

See how many attempts are needed for the scanner to find that sole PC. Then turn on a second PC., then a third PC.

You may discover that, for example, once there are more than "X" number of PC's then the problem begins.

Tedious indeed and I truly do not know what all you have tried over the last year or so.

Just my "out of the box" thoughts for the moment. No problem on this end if I fall out....

Reactions: Grobe
Solution

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008

Yes, in the Epson Event Manager the "Network Name" is easily changed. We've changed it on some machines to test but to no avail.
We've even shut down 6 of the 8 machines so just 2 machines are active to see if it will pull just those 2. Nope, it still randomly chooses between the two and only displays one of their names.

I would be curious about any error messages that may be being captured on the target PC's when an attempt to scan to any given target PC is made. Reliability History, or Event Viewer. Last Activity Viewer is another diagnostic tool.
Utilizing just 2 pcs on the network... Tested it with Event Viewer on both PCs, nothing shows in Critical, Error or Warning.

Eventually ending up with only one viewable target PC after flashing two or three options suggests that some process is taking place to search for PC's, finding some, but only showing one choice. A cap or limit of some sort.

It makes sense that scanning would be limited to just one target PC. That should not inhibit the search process.

Overall, once the scanner displays a PC what is unique about that PC? Was it the last to print, was it the last to send a print job, was it the last to obtain a DHCP IP address?
Nothing that we can find, printing does not effect it and the IP does not effect it.

Seems arbitrary but being software there must be a pattern. Possibly nested patterns if the code is problematic.

I would start by going in and out between the Home page and Scan a dozen times. Try to see and record the shown PC names. Make a list of the appearing PC's (if possible) or at least the final PC name that ends up being shown.
Still working with the just 2 PCs, going back and forth to the Home screen then into Scan... it's still just random which one pops up. PC A will show 1, 2, 3 times in a row then switch to PC B for a time or two then back and forth.

Compare that list to a listing of all PC's with the Scan 2 software, along with their respective IP addresses, MACs.

Turn off all PC's except one (probably only doable after normal work hours but such is often case in the IT world.....)

See how many attempts are needed for the scanner to find that sole PC. Then turn on a second PC., then a third PC.
If only 1 PC is on, it pops right up on the screen. Then when you turn on other PCs they will randomly show, no particular order.

You may discover that, for example, once there are more than "X" number of PC's then the problem begins.

Tedious indeed and I truly do not know what all you have tried over the last year or so.

Just my "out of the box" thoughts for the moment. No problem on this end if I fall out....

I commented on each of the suggestions above.
Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Makes me think that the Epson Scan 2 software "clients" are doing some sort of broadcasting to announce their presence when the host computer is on.

Either they (being two or more clients) are stepping on each other or the Epson Scanner itself is unable to keep them sorted out.

However, giving the Epson software/firmware the benefit of the doubt (for the moment) then what, in a network, could cause such behavior?

Been thinking about that without success but looking at/into other things as well.

Have you come across the following link?

https://www.scanyourentirelife.com/epson-scan-2-windows-mac-compatibility/

And the following link caught my attention:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-epson-scanner-not-working-on-windows-10/

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)....

I have no way to test or investigate that per se. Would be remiss not to pass the link along.

Unfortunately may just be more to experiment with and other test. Your call on that but I would give it try.

[Sidebar: Just for the record, WIA is running on my PC and set to automatic. Other options listed: Automatic Delayed Start, Manual, Disabled.]

And, in the meantime, someone else may join in who has the Epson scanning process working as you require. Then you could compare notes on networks, network configurations, Scan 2 host computer configurations, etc..