EPSON Scan not working properly on Windows 10 1709 (Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H board)

jasonbrown2k13

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Hi all,

I have an Epson Perfection V550 scanner purchased in June. The Epson scan software for this was working fine on my desktop PC when I had Windows 10 1703, but upon upgrading to 1709 the software would open but when I tried to preview a scan it just says 'Cannot communicate with the scanner' despite it being turned on (but a green light is flashing on the scanner). I've had this issue before and tried the usual tricks (different cable, different USB port, reinstall software, wait a while after turning the scanner on before using the software, run in compatibility mode, run as admin) to no avail. I even tried a VM of Windows 7 in VMware and that didn't work either! I completely reformatted my PC yesterday thinking that a clean install of 1709 might fix it, but it hasn't.

Interestingly, it works fine on my ThinkPad with no problems at all which is also running Windows 10 1709 - that's using all of the same cables I've been trying with my desktop.

The board in my desktop is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H. I've installed all the correct chipset/USB drivers etc. Any other specs needed let me know. It seems to me like the scanner doesn't like my USB ports - but it was fine on the previous version of Windows 10! Windows detects the device in Device Manager and I hear the device connect/disconnect sounds when I turn the scanner on/off.

Any ideas?

jasonbrown2k13

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
I should update the thread and say that the problem was the long USB cable I was using (and the other ones I was testing were also the same length - probably over 6 metres long). I had to use a long cable since the scanner was on the other side of the room, but now I'm using the one it came with and it works fine but obviously I've had to rearrange the room haha! Seems odd that the cable I was using was working with 1703 on my desktop and 1709 on my laptop but my desktop didn't like it with 1709 - oh well, gotta love scanners and printers for weird things like this!