Epson Stylus 580 won't take paper....

I have an Epson Stylus 580 printer. It's been on the other end of my PC for
a few years now, but never been used much, mainly because it's a pain in the
butt to get it to actually take the paper. It's a top-loader and feeds the
page out the front, but every time I put paper (or card) into the top
I'd put my fingers in, but I might not get them back! The thing is, it has
done this ever since I bought it and it can take about 6 attempts to get it
to take the page and print something on it. It's actual print output is
great though, it's the paper loading that's the problem. Anyone know if this
is a common 'fault' with Epson printers, or even just this particular model?
I was thinking of buying a new printer, but then wondered if I should
consider Epson again!
Any advice much appreciated.
TIA.
C.C.

Jim

I have never had this problem with either my Photo 700 or my Photo 1280.

Jim
"Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
message news:utCjc.72$2g7.58@nurse.blueyonder.net...
> I have an Epson Stylus 580 printer. It's been on the other end of my PC
for
> a few years now, but never been used much, mainly because it's a pain in
the
> butt to get it to actually take the paper. It's a top-loader and feeds the
> page out the front, but every time I put paper (or card) into the top
sounds.
> I'd put my fingers in, but I might not get them back! The thing is, it has
> done this ever since I bought it and it can take about 6 attempts to get
it
> to take the page and print something on it. It's actual print output is
> great though, it's the paper loading that's the problem. Anyone know if
this
> is a common 'fault' with Epson printers, or even just this particular
model?
> I was thinking of buying a new printer, but then wondered if I should
> consider Epson again!
> Any advice much appreciated.
> TIA.
> C.C.

BURT

I have a stylus color 900. It makes similar noises when I place one piece
of paper in the top load feed tray. Apparently a single thickness of paper
or card stock does not always trip the sensor to tell it there is paper in
the printer. The noise is repeated attempts to "find" paper on which to
print. The trick is to either use a medium to heavy piece of card stock as
a backing or put several sheets of paper in the feed area prior to printing.
Then it works just fine. Try it.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:10:01 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgREMOVE@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>I have a stylus color 900. It makes similar noises when I place one piece
>of paper in the top load feed tray. Apparently a single thickness of paper
>or card stock does not always trip the sensor to tell it there is paper in
>the printer.

The Stylus Color 900 does not have a sensor to detect whether there's
paper loaded or not in the paper tray. However, there's a sensor that
is used to detect if the paper has been properly loaded into the
printing position.

The usual cause of misfeed is that the paper load rollers are dirty
and/or worn.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:02:40 +0100, "Champagne Charlie"
<FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>I have an Epson Stylus 580 printer. It's been on the other end of my PC for
>a few years now, but never been used much, mainly because it's a pain in the
>butt to get it to actually take the paper. It's a top-loader and feeds the
>page out the front, but every time I put paper (or card) into the top

Please elaborate. Does the printer attempts to load the paper as soon
as you put a paper into the top loading part?

The paper should be loaded into the top loading part, adjust the left
paper guide so that it is snug against the paper. Also make sure that
the paper support, the part attaches to the back of the printer, is
installed.