Epson Stylus C70 problem

I wonder can I use only black cartridge with this printer without buying
color cartridges???

can it work only with black cartridge inside???
tnx

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Josip" <forgus66@net.hr> wrote in message
> I wonder can I use only black cartridge with this printer without buying
> color cartridges???
>
> can it work only with black cartridge inside???
> tnx

Nope. Many printers including Epson use underprinting which is laying down a
colour with black. The C70 is pigmented ink and needs the lubrication the
ink provides.
Tony

> --
Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
http://www.inkylinkusa.com

Zaboravi

--
Pozdrav

adriatic
http://adriatix.hr/
"Josip" <forgus66@net.hr> wrote in message
> I wonder can I use only black cartridge with this printer without buying
> color cartridges???
>
> can it work only with black cartridge inside???
> tnx

Not likely. If you have installed the color cartridges when you used it
earlier and then you removed them, the color heads would all clog up
very badly.

If you only wish to use it as a monochrome printer permanently, it won't
matter, and then I would just have the chips in the color cartridges
reset, so it thinks the color cartridges are full of ink.

If you do plan to print in color again, consider having the old
cartridges refilled with a cleaning fluid for inkjets, and then have the
chips reset, or buy a resetter to do it yourself. This will keep the
heads clear. Set the driver to monochrome printing.

Art

Josip wrote:

> I wonder can I use only black cartridge with this printer without buying
> color cartridges???
>
> can it work only with black cartridge inside???
> tnx

The C70 may be pigmented, and it may even use underprinting, although
I'm sure the black is sufficiently dark to work without it, and if the
color cartridges were empty (even with reset chips) they wouldn't print.

Why does a pigment colorant ink printer require lubrication from the ink
in the head?

Art

Tony wrote:

> "Josip" <forgus66@net.hr> wrote in message
>
>>I wonder can I use only black cartridge with this printer without buying
>>color cartridges???
>>
>>can it work only with black cartridge inside???
>>tnx
>

> Nope. Many printers including Epson use underprinting which is laying down a
> colour with black. The C70 is pigmented ink and needs the lubrication the
> ink provides.
> Tony
>
>>--
>
> Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
> http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
> http://www.inkylinkusa.com

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> The C70 may be pigmented, and it may even use underprinting, although
> I'm sure the black is sufficiently dark to work without it, and if the
> color cartridges were empty (even with reset chips) they wouldn't print.
>
> Why does a pigment colorant ink printer require lubrication from the ink
> in the head?
>
> Art
They all do Art - dye as well as pigment - but the pigment inevitably leaves
traces and deposits over time: and the C70 is now some 3 years plus at
least. If you neglect an ink flow the deposits will encrust from within the
head.
Unfortunately you'll have to peel the laminates apart and examine with a
microscope to see this.
Tony

> > Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
> > http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
> > http://www.inkylinkusa.com

The only reason I can think of for a piezo ink head to need lubrication
is if it has ink residue in it, and that is not so much lubrication as
to prevent clogging and dried ink from causing the actuator damage.

If a person wished to run a mono-only C70, or any other Epson, I would
suggest either fully flushing the heads clean and then leaving a dry
empty cartridge just to be there for the cartridge sensor or chip
sensor, or to fill a set of virgin cartridges with something like
non-ammoniated window cleaner with glycol, (a heck of a lot cheaper than
Epson or any other ink cartridge) in the spots that were not needed for
ink, refilling them when they ran out from cleaning cycles. I suppose
one could even put some type of sealing tape on the color heads to keep
them from spitting out any fluid, since Epson heads doesn't seem to be
injured by fully sealed heads (from dried ink, for instance).

Art