ajk

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

Hi,

Is there any place I can download the updates to my files for my brand
new EQ2 I bought today? The downloading from within the program seems
not to work very well, it downloads a couple of files and then
cancels.

I can't understand why they have designed it like that, it would be
better to download updates like microsoft does with their auto update.

It is very annoying not being able to play directly after buying a
game.

/ajk
--
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
Groucho Marx.

ajk <gandalf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any place I can download the updates to my files for my brand
> new EQ2 I bought today? The downloading from within the program seems
> not to work very well, it downloads a couple of files and then
> cancels.
>
> I can't understand why they have designed it like that, it would be
> better to download updates like microsoft does with their auto update.

The EQ2 updater does work pretty much like the Microsoft Auto Update, so
it sounds like there's some kind of problem with yours that it keeps
cancelling the download. It sounds like something is causing it to time
out repeatedly.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

EverQuest 2:
Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
---

"ajk pc.nu>" <gandalf<at> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there any place I can download the updates to my files for my brand
> new EQ2 I bought today? The downloading from within the program seems
> not to work very well, it downloads a couple of files and then
> cancels.
>
> I can't understand why they have designed it like that, it would be
> better to download updates like microsoft does with their auto update.
>
> It is very annoying not being able to play directly after buying a
> game.
>
> /ajk
> --
> "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an
> exception."
> Groucho Marx.

if you click on the "show details" button just under where the update
progress bars are it'll tell you what the problem is ... sometimes it's a
corrupt file that stops the updater ... just find and delete it then restart
the patcher. If it's just network timeouts then there isn't much you can do
except keep trying :(

Mal

>No it doesn't work like the MS autoupdater, the autoupdater downloads
>the files at a scheduled time. eq2's updater downloads when you want
>to play which is very annoying as you have to wait for it to complete.

You can download non essentially stuff like the voice packs in the
background. Just go to download options and click the voice pack but
unclick the 'Download immediately option.

Sounds like you have connections problems the updater doesn't auto
cancel. Take it from me, someone who accidentally download the whole of
EQ2 in one 7hour download session!!