eq2 making crafting fun

If there is one thing they haven't improved about eq2 it is the fun factor
of crafting. They have made it more profitable, sure, put in more recipes
(most of which as a sage i'll never use because by the time i got the rares,
they'd be very grey, so i just buy dropped adepts and i expect i'll buy
master 1's and never craft them). They haven't made it involving, or
interesting. Poking keys in response to random events feels dull and there's
certainly enough crafters macroing their way to 50 to prove that if xp is
what you want, then the process is mindless.

So what can be done? Are there other mmogs where the process is more
interesting? I had more fun in SWG crafting but less in EQ1, and although i
played WOW a bit, i never got into it deeply enough to be able to comment on
the crafting. Are there ideas to improve crafting that could be copied from
other games?

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=items&message.id=29168&view=by_date_ascending&page=7&no_redir=true

comments largely negatively on the changes, and i'd have to admit, when it
comes time to craft, i find excuses not to play, which is a bad thing from
the devs perspective. Yet the devs seem to be pushing adventurers to greater
dependency on crafters. If suggests to the devs could be made on improving
the crafter's job, then perhaps it wouldn't be such a frightful grind and
people would not be as apprehensive of this change.

Shadow wrote:
> If there is one thing they haven't improved about eq2 it is the fun
factor
> of crafting. They have made it more profitable, sure, put in more
recipes
> (most of which as a sage i'll never use because by the time i got the
rares,
> they'd be very grey, so i just buy dropped adepts and i expect i'll
buy
> master 1's and never craft them). They haven't made it involving, or
> interesting. Poking keys in response to random events feels dull and
there's
> certainly enough crafters macroing their way to 50 to prove that if
xp is
> what you want, then the process is mindless.

A lot of people do find it fun. One guy in my guild just couldn't
bring
himself to go out adventuring because he was enjoying crafting so much.

I like the crafting in WoW - its a bit like EQ1 except that you never
fail
to make what you're crafting. If you are crafting something too easy
you
can fail to get a skill up but that's as bad as it gets. The advantage
that
it has over EQ1 is that you can make thigs that you can use. My
leatherworker
made about 50% of the armour he's wearing. My alchemist has had her
life
saved a number of times by the potions she's made. (The speed potion
which
gives 50% speed boost for 30 seconds is great)

The problem is that its difficult to please everyone. I like the WoW
method
because I really like that it's easy to do and never tries to be as
involved
as adventuring. I very much doubt that anyone in WoW is crafting
instead of
adventuring like my friend in EQ2 was.

steve.kaye

"Shadow" <kitchen@fis.org.nz> wrote in message
> If there is one thing they haven't improved about eq2 it is the fun
factor>

I have to agree that crafting is exceedingly boooooooooring. The only time I
do it is when I need some more player made drink.

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but one thing that comes to mind is
to make the experience and the skill increase portion of it more interactive
with adventuring. It seems to me that there should be more quests that allow
the crafter to gain experience in their chosen profession or skillset, or to
obtain recipes. Rather than have them fall randomly in whole books, it would
be nice if the recipes were obtained through quests that had to do with the
origin of the method or style.

Elven armor might require a trip to a famed elvish armorer and a subsequent
quest before you prove your worth enough for him to give you the secret to
elven armor. -or something like that-

Then you could at least increase your skills through methods less tedious
(or at the least have multiple ways of incresing them-as adventurers do) and
save the button pushing for making things you actually want.

TRENDING THREADS