EQ2: Who are the purple people?

On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
server.)

Can I become a role-playing character on a non-role-playing server? How?
If so, does that mean that I can't talk with anyone other than other
role-players?

Thanks in advance.

David

KY

"David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote in message
> On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
> them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
> communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on
> Tox
> server.)
>
> Can I become a role-playing character on a non-role-playing server? How?
> If so, does that mean that I can't talk with anyone other than other
> role-players?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David

Just type /role and you will be roleplaying.

David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
>On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
>them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
>communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
>server.)

/role toggles roleplaying. It does nothing except turn your name purple and
hide your level and class. And let other roleplayers know that they can spout
ye nonsens olde englishe at you :)

You can turn it on or off as often as you like. It doesn't affect
communication at all - they were either afk or just not paying attention.

This applies to EQ1 as well as EQ2, by the way.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

"Mark Rafn" <dagon@dagon.net> wrote in message
:
: You can turn it on or off as often as you like. It doesn't affect
: communication at all - they were either afk or just not paying attention.

Thanks for responding. At first, I thought that "role-playing" was a
different channel, and that I could only communicate on that channel. Glad
I was wrong.

Good hunting!

David

"David S." wrote:

> Thanks for responding. At first, I thought that "role-playing" was a
> different channel, and that I could only communicate on that channel. Glad
> I was wrong.

I've noticed a distinct lack of communications at lower levels. One
would think that roleplayers would be more likely to chat (I know I always
was!). However, even purple names on AB, one of the roleplaying preferred
servers, seem to just run by without saying a word to anyone. I think that
this might be because most people are still trying to figure out the game
and the mechanics, and can solo the earlier levels pretty easily (at least
I seem to be able to with a priest and fighter, both traditionally grouping
classes).

I'm hoping this changes at higher levels, cause chatter is one of the
things I live for. Preferably with lots and lots of mistells, as my
friends from EQL here can tell you.

--
Annie

In EQII:

Tealeaf-- Ogre Priest on AB
Teacup -- Gnome Fighter on AB

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm
http://tinyurl.com/yvud6
http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

_______

If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.

"Annie Benson-Lennaman" <teapray@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com> wrote in message

: I'm hoping this changes at higher levels, cause chatter is one of the
: things I live for. Preferably with lots and lots of mistells, as my
: friends from EQL here can tell you.

Me too. One of the things I like in mmorpgs is joining a large allegiance.
I haven't heard anyone talk about or recruit for their allegiance (or guild
or whatever it's called in EQ2 -- I'm an AC2 refugee).

David S.

Shane

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:22:58 GMT, "David S."
<davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:

>On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
>them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
>communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
>server.)

Trouble can be that they have so much text flowing through their
window your chat got lost in it all. I make it a point to turn off
combat and casting messages. Made it easier to follow conversation
that was usually scrolled through real quick.

>Can I become a role-playing character on a non-role-playing server? How?
>If so, does that mean that I can't talk with anyone other than other
>role-players?

Here is my POV on RP on non RP server. I won't offer a group to a RPer
and if they use LFG with it; they get ignored when I am trying to form
groups. It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
server.

dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote in

> David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
>>On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I
>>"examined" them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be
>>able to communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the
>>way, I'm on Tox server.)
>
> /role toggles roleplaying. It does nothing except turn your name
> purple and hide your level and class. And let other roleplayers know
> that they can spout ye nonsens olde englishe at you :)
>
> You can turn it on or off as often as you like. It doesn't affect
> communication at all - they were either afk or just not paying
> attention.
>
> This applies to EQ1 as well as EQ2, by the way.

In EQ1 it's often used to ward off the deluge of buff requests as well.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 15 Dwarven Shaman, 13 Scholar

"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

: It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
: a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
: speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
: server.

Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why would
the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

David

>"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>: It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
>: a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone.

This is mostly true even on RP-preferred servers.

David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
>Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why would
>the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

Because Sony made it do more than turn your name purple. It makes it hard to
find out your class or level, so no group can tell if you're appropriate for
them.

If it were intelligently designed, it would do NOTHING but make your name
purple, and put an (rp) in /who listings. If you also wanted to hide your
class and level, you could /anon in addition.

Actually, I'll feedback that (in EQ1. EQ2 folks have to feedback it
themselves).
--

> "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>: It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
>: a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
>: speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
>: server.
>
> Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
> would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

It does not, he is talking about the fact that you cannot see the persons
level or class when they have /roleplay on.

--

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

: It does not, he is talking about the fact that you cannot see the persons
: level or class when they have /roleplay on.

I see. Thanks.

David

In article <5l8a72-4a4.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, Mark Rafn wrote:
>>Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
>>would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?
>
> Because Sony made it do more than turn your name purple. It makes it hard
> to find out your class or level, so no group can tell if you're
> appropriate for them.

I haven't checked...does it also hide class and/or level in the group search
tool?

--
--Tim Smith

Patrik

"David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> writes:

> "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> : It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
> : a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I don't
> : speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on non-RP
> : server.
>
> Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why would
> the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?

When you turn on the roleplay flag, others can no longer see your
class unless you're in their group, which means you have to ask them
what class they are if you see them show up as LFG. If you advertise
your skills that's not a problem, but when someone is looking for more
people for their group the roleplayers will probably be last on the
list since it's extra hassle.

dagon@dagon.net (Mark Rafn) wrote in message news:<cdr272-ol8.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>...
> David S. <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote:
> >On the noob isle I saw two people with purple names. When I "examined"
> >them, I found they were role-playing. I did not seem to be able to
> >communicate with either of them with /say or /tell. (By the way, I'm on Tox
> >server.)
>
> /role toggles roleplaying. It does nothing except turn your name purple and
> hide your level and class. And let other roleplayers know that they can spout
> ye nonsens olde englishe at you :)

Thankfully, EQ2 seems pretty devoid of those types. I personally
prefer ye olde 31337 sp34k compared to that gayness. The social
servers for NWN used to be (and probably still are) filled with people
like that. And a lot of MUDs were like that too.

Maybe I just don't have much of an imagination, but it's kinda hard to
lose one's self in the fantasy when you're sitting around thinking
about levelups, max HP, to hit bonuses, spawn camping named mobs, and
zoning away from KoS groups.

Patrik

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> In article <5l8a72-4a4.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, Mark Rafn wrote:
> >>Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
> >>would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a group?
> >
> > Because Sony made it do more than turn your name purple. It makes it hard
> > to find out your class or level, so no group can tell if you're
> > appropriate for them.
>
> I haven't checked...does it also hide class and/or level in the group search
> tool?

No, you can still see class and level in the tool even if the player
is anonymous or roleplaying. I think you can't see what zone they're
in, though, but that may be anon only, I'm not sure.

patrik@nordebo.com wrote in news:87fz3157qe.fsf@pluto.elizium.org:

> "David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> writes:
>
>> "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> : It's not my job to figure out how and if you are desirable for
>> : a group. The only time I RP is when I want to be left alone. I
>> : don't speak for everybody, but that is just my POV on RPing on
>> : non-RP server.
>>
>> Interesting response. Thanks for posting. Just curious, though, why
>> would the "role-playing" designation make one undesirable for a
>> group?
>
> When you turn on the roleplay flag, others can no longer see your
> class unless you're in their group, which means you have to ask them
> what class they are if you see them show up as LFG. If you advertise
> your skills that's not a problem, but when someone is looking for more
> people for their group the roleplayers will probably be last on the
> list since it's extra hassle.

Honestly, that's the way I've used it in EQLive. Turn on /roleplay, but
make sure I mention my class/level in any LFG activity. I like /roleplay
when it's used properly. If roleplaying, people *shouldn't* know much about
me unless I tell them, which I am quick to do when appropriate. If I'm just
out adventuring or exploring, it works as I would prefer.

--
Rumble

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."
-- Blackbeard

TRENDING THREADS