Equifax Breach Compromises 143 Million Americans' Personal Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
"sold almost $1 million in stock after the intrusion was detected but before it was disclosed."
Ummm... Insider trading!?

"Equifax told Bloomberg the execs were unaware of the breach when they sold their stock, but it's definitely one heck of a coincidence."
<mod edit>

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I hope Equifax gets slammed for this. Worst customer service I've ever seen and very outdated technology. They literally sat on their ass and collected money for the past 10-15 years.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Secure: Records of your debts
Not secure: Detailed personal info to make new debt

*thumbs up*

They are very non specific about "core database" vs "website vulnerability".
Does this mean anyone who used their web services is likely compromised? eg: You went to their website and did something like a credit check on yourself, and all the info you plugged in is what was compromised?

Regardless, would you ever do direct business with them again after this? Would you want a 3rd party doing business with them with your info? eg: Some potential employer runs a credit check on you through equifax, and zing... your personal info is compromised.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Equifax should be out of business. This data is the core of their business and if they can't protect it they don't belong in the business. I hope a class action suit bankrupts them.

I am one of the potential victim... I hope Equifax goes bankrupt and I hope the class action is going to bring the company to the ground.

It is totally unacceptable. They have our banking info, our credit card info, our SINs, our DOBs and our addresses. Talk about a central point of failure, this should have never happened.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
LORD_ORION
You can go to the website linked in the article and check to see if you are potentially impacted via a button at the bottom. I have never used Equifax and my data was potentially impacted.

I rather doubt that anywhere close to 143 million Americans have directly used their website. That's nearly half the population. More likely, it's anyone who has had a credit check performed on them by any company during a certain span of time. So even someone who is not familiar with Equifax might have had their data compromised.

And providing a year of protective services is a joke. Is the leaked data going to mysteriously disappear a year from now? It's about as useful as a new PC shipping with a one month subscription to some antivirus. More a demo than anything.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

Unfortunately, even checking on their website presents a problem. In their fine print, you surrender your right to sue them or join a class action lawsuit against them if you use that.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Equifax turns it into a huge win. Customers give up their rights to sue and many continue to pay an annual fee after the one year of free credit-monitoring is up.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

Reporter sensationalism. Look up SEC rule 10b5-1. There's about a 100% chance that this really IS a coincidence and I would bet the documentation exists to prove it.

ajiam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
According to the FAQ (https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/frequently-asked-questions/):
Do the TrustedID Terms of Use limit my options related to the cyber security incident?
The arbitration clause and class action wavier included in the TrustedID Premier Terms of Use applies to the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection products, and not the cybersecurity incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.