Equifax Breach Prompts Data Broker Security Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaknak

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
This is a start but does not go far enough. The bill should require data brokers by default to freeze the access to the individuals data except for existing credit card and loan companies that currently do business with the individual. The bill should allow access to temporarily lift the freeze without cost for a reasonable number of times per year. Finally, the bill should make the data brokers to be personally responsible for any financial costs incurred by individuals that are related to a data breech.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Gaknak:
You don't even go far enough. It should also provide a legal course where anyone who has loss that can be associated with the data that was lost NOT be required that whoever sues does not have to prove that their losses were a direct result of the specific data loss. I.e., if my identity is stolen and data that is used was in the Equifax data breach, I don't have to prove that the source of the data stolen was in fact the Equifax data breach, just that it could have been.

Andy_2521

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
I have worked with Massdrop personally and they are a bunch of low life cry babies from my experience. They complain about every little thing even when you try to do all you can to help and allocate inventory for them they still cry and complain about something later. They have very bad ethics there from what I can tell.

Giroro

Splendid
A failure to update software is only a small part of the issue. There is truly no such thing as a secure computer system and it's unreasonable to expect something impossible from every company.
The real problem, is that companies are allowed to amass and profit off of private information in the first place.
Even the Equifax breach is just the tip of the iceberg. We Americans desperately need a constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy. It's not even an individual rights issue, data breaches of this size are an extreme risk to national security.

Something like 2 factor authorization on credit approvals would be nice ... but identity theft of an individual is actually not that severe of a consequence when you consider what ISIS and North Korea will almost certainly doing with this data. If you've ever had your fingerprints taken or applied for a government job, all information provided in that process was already stolen years ago. The only way to avoid these hacks, is to limit what these databases are allowed to indefinitely store in the first place.

Hal-Jordan

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
"The Data Broker Accountability and Transparency Act allows consumers to access and correct their information to help ensure maximum accuracy." This was not part of the problem, so it should not be part of the proposed solution.

th3p00r

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016
with all the security breached happen and now they just introduce the bills? maybe because those senators' info was on the breach.

Dadly_Edly

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
The problem that hasn't, and probably won't, be addressed is the Social Security Number. If your credit or debit card is stolen, you can get a new one with a new number. It becomes useless to the thief. Once your SSN is stolen, you have no recourse. There is no way to get a new one.
That is the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring.

turbotails23

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
This joke of a bill doesn't really do much of anything from the summary. All of the companies that handle our stuff effectively do all of this already--Or risk being removed from the financial institution--After all, our 1% doesn't like their info being exposed.

th3p00r

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016

they're career politicians. they're working to fatten up themselves, they wouldn't do anything for the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.