[SOLVED] Equivalent replacement for MSI z270 Gaming m5

FreshwaterBill

Reputable
Jul 7, 2017
Hello, ladies and gents. I have an i7-7700k cpu and am looking to replace my msi z270 gaming m5 motherboard. It just died on me, dunno what I did/what happened. I'm looking to replace it, but this model isn't available for purchase anywhere.

What is an equivalent motherboard that I can purchase to replace it?

Solution
The cheapest z270 new that is touch is $189, complete cheapest is $177. Complete rip off even if this was 3 years ago.

Of course most people have a 4 core CPU, they were sold for about 10 years with only the last 2.5 offering mainstream CPU with 6+ cores. Doesn’t mean they are worth spending money on.
FreshwaterBill
This motherboard is $130 https://www.amazon.com/Asrock-Z270-SLI1151-ATXHDMI-Z270_KILLER_SLI/dp/B01N48AFA1.

Used or "renewed" motherboards can be as low as $60 for a good quality board and can have a 90 day to 1 year return policy or warranty. If the The OP is running 2133-2400 ram already, they could also just get an H270/B250 motherboard.

For games, the 7700K is equivalent or +/- 2-10% the...
Hello, ladies and gents. I have an i7-7700k cpu and am looking to replace my msi z270 gaming m5 motherboard. It just died on me, dunno what I did/what happened. I'm looking to replace it, but this model isn't available for purchase anywhere.

What is an equivalent motherboard that I can purchase to replace it?
I’d I were you I’d try to sell that 7700k and get a newer CPU with more cores versus spending more money on a bottlenecked system.

So you think I should upgrade the processor? And why do you say that it's bottle-necked?
Because a 7700k was an upgrade over a 4790k and everything in between in clock speed only. It was made useless by the mainstream 6-8 core CPUs. And increasing amount of games are beginning to make use of higher core CPUs.

The brand new bottom of the line i3-10100 that will be released very soon beats a stock 7700k. It may not bottleneck your system based on what you use it for now but the motherboards new are pretty expensive. You’d be better off buying a good bottom line X570 and Ryzen 3600 for not much more.

Budget and need drive everything.

Reactions: FreshwaterBill
So you think I should upgrade the processor? And why do you say that it's bottle-necked?
The 4 core 8 thread i7-7700K is still a very good CPU for current games and for maybe another 1-2 years of future games. If you check out Steam hardware survey, you will see 4 core CPUs are still the most common and this includes CPU with 8 threads. If you can find a new Z270 motherboard for under $100, it's still worth the investment, despite it being a dead end platform. Otherwise, you may be better off selling the 7700K and buying a Ryzen 4000 or Intel 10th gen i5/i7 this year or next year.

The 4 core 8 thread i7-7700K is still a very good CPU for current games and for maybe another 1-2 years of future games. If you check out Steam hardware survey, you will see 4 core CPUs are still the most common and this includes CPU with 8 threads. If you can find a new Z270 motherboard for under $100, it's still worth the investment, despite it being a dead end platform. Otherwise, you may be better off selling the 7700K and buying a Ryzen 4000 or Intel 10th gen i5/i7 this year or next year.
The cheapest z270 new that is touch is $189, complete cheapest is $177. Complete rip off even if this was 3 years ago.

Of course most people have a 4 core CPU, they were sold for about 10 years with only the last 2.5 offering mainstream CPU with 6+ cores. Doesn’t mean they are worth spending money on.

FreshwaterBill
This motherboard is $130 https://www.amazon.com/Asrock-Z270-SLI1151-ATXHDMI-Z270_KILLER_SLI/dp/B01N48AFA1.

Used or "renewed" motherboards can be as low as $60 for a good quality board and can have a 90 day to 1 year return policy or warranty. If the The OP is running 2133-2400 ram already, they could also just get an H270/B250 motherboard.

For games, the 7700K is equivalent or +/- 2-10% the performance for either CPUs. Which is why I said before, that it can still be worth the investment into another motherboard to keep using the 7700K. Personally, I would sell the 7700K and invest in a Ryzen 7 3000/4000, but only if I didn't have decent options on used motherboards.

Solution
FreshwaterBill

For games, the 7700K is equivalent or +/- 2-10% the performance for either CPUs. Which is why I said before, that it can still be worth the investment into another motherboard to keep using the 7700K. Personally, I would sell the 7700K and invest in a Ryzen 7 3000/4000, but only if I didn't have decent options on used motherboards.
That’s a pretty good board, same one I used with my 7700k before I sold it. Wow 9 days shipping! Your current board is out of the warranty period?

FreshwaterBill

Reputable
Jul 7, 2017
FreshwaterBill

The link you shared me is showing that it's $490+...lol. But thanks though man. I'll take a look, and thanks for the information guys. I'm not looking to upgrade anything though. Just replacing current parts so I can get my computer up and running again.

The link you shared me is showing that it's $490+...lol. But thanks though man. I'll take a look, and thanks for the information guys. I'm not looking to upgrade anything though. Just replacing current parts so I can get my computer up and running again.
Well that is the US amazon site, so if you are in another country, I have no idea what prices would be for you. I still see $129.99 on that link.

FreshwaterBill

Reputable
Jul 7, 2017
Well that is the US amazon site, so if you are in another country, I have no idea what prices would be for you. I still see $129.99 on that link.

Yeah, I live in toronto, canada. Maybe it's because of the boarders being closed or something. Our dollar is worth about 60-70% of what your dollar is. So I'm just going bite the bullet and get it.

Edit: Wow, after looking at the link you sent, even after converting and international shipping prices, it's almost half the price of the canandian seller.

Thanks for the link man! that really, really helped!

Last edited: