Eradicating flipped creatures

Suppose a player plays Eradicate, targeting a flipped hero - say Tok-Tok,
Volcano Born, who started his life as an Akki Lavarunner. Will the other
copies of that card (other Akki Lavarunners) in hero's controller's hand,
graveyard and library be safe from being removed? Since 508.2 says that
"name, text box, type line, power, and toughness" change and Eradicate looks
specifically for card name, I'd say that the other hero cards (Akki
Lavarunners) stay where they were...

Regards,
Arkady.

Eradicate
2BB
Sorcery
Remove target nonblack creature from the game. Search its controller's
graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that
creature and remove them from the game. That player then shuffles his or her
library.

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Suppose a player plays Eradicate, targeting a flipped hero - say Tok-Tok,
> Volcano Born, who started his life as an Akki Lavarunner. Will the other
> copies of that card (other Akki Lavarunners) in hero's controller's hand,
> graveyard and library be safe from being removed? Since 508.2 says that
> "name, text box, type line, power, and toughness" change and Eradicate looks
> specifically for card name, I'd say that the other hero cards (Akki
> Lavarunners) stay where they were...

Yes. Eradicate doesn't care about the "birth name".
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Arkady Zilberberg wrote:

> Suppose a player plays Eradicate, targeting a flipped hero - say Tok-Tok,
> Volcano Born, who started his life as an Akki Lavarunner. Will the other
> copies of that card (other Akki Lavarunners) in hero's controller's hand,
> graveyard and library be safe from being removed? Since 508.2 says that
> "name, text box, type line, power, and toughness" change and Eradicate
> looks specifically for card name, I'd say that the other hero cards (Akki
> Lavarunners) stay where they were...

Your other cards are safe. The creature has a name of Tok-Tok, Volcano
Born. The cards not in play have a name of Akki Lavarunner, which is
not the same. To quote the specific relevant rule:

508.1b The bottom half of a flip card contains an alternative name, text
box, type line, power, and toughness. These characteristics are used only if
the permanent is in play and only if the permanent has been flipped.

The flipped half of the card basically has no existence on a card
that is not in play. So you have no cards (and cannot possibly have
any cards) out of play named Tok-Tok, Volcano Born. As another point,
something looking, for, say, Warrior cards out of play will find
the Lavarunners, but something looking for Shaman cards will not.
The flipped creature type of Shaman does not exist on the out of
play card.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Suppose a player plays Eradicate, targeting a flipped hero - say Tok-Tok,
>Volcano Born, who started his life as an Akki Lavarunner. Will the other
>copies of that card (other Akki Lavarunners) in hero's controller's hand,
>graveyard and library be safe from being removed?

Yes. There is no card in Magic that can have the name "Tok-Tok, Volcano Born"
in any zone that's not the in-play zone. All he'll be able to find are cards
named "Akki Lavarunner", which isn't the same name.

> Since 508.2 says that
>"name, text box, type line, power, and toughness" change and Eradicate looks
>specifically for card name, I'd say that the other hero cards (Akki
>Lavarunners) stay where they were...

Exactly. The flipcards change their name and other things, and can't have
the flipped name in other zones, so searching for a card in your hand, library,
or graveyard that has the same name as a flipped flipcard in play is going to
be a futile search. (You still get to _search_, of course, but you are
guaranteed not to find anything ... well, unless you're playing with a specific
Unhinged card, anyway.)

Dave