Erase / format hard drive through command prompt.

Vladamir_1

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
I have had a recent issue where i have encountered a blue screen error preventing me from accessing the login screen. After multiple solution attempts it seems to be un solvable. I am going to erase the hard drive and reinstall windows from scratch. I only have access to the command prompt from the windows recovery options. Is it possible to wipe the hard drive this way and start over.

Solution

You can download the drivers from the Asrock website. You will also require video card drivers that you can get from AMD. You will be using Legacy drivers because the 6xxx cards are older and no longer receiving new updates.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064
Yes, You have to install Windows instead of repairing it. Selecting advanced will allow you to remove all partitions and then create new ones or let windows manage it.

It looks like this. This was an image to show someone how to keep an extra partition to hold files they did not want to loose, but it works the same way(just without the extra partition).
t8s1zc.jpg

Please note what you are doing will remove everything and if you have a prebuilt system it may have its own recovery options. You will also need to get drivers for all your hardware and install them again.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Burn an ISO image of Windows 7 to a disc or write it to a USB flash drive, boot it up, click Install now, advanced, choose the hard drive you want to format, and select format.
Note: this will uninstall everything, so that means all drivers are gone. Gonna be doing a fresh install? You need to get the drivers for your hardware.
You can also try using Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Vladamir_1

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for the replies. My system was custom built, but around 5 years ago. I only have disks for the hard copy of windows 7. Will i be able to find all the drivers needed online. Currently have an Asrock z77 mobo, radeon hd 6770, i7 3770k, gskill ddr3 ram.

DavidJT

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
I suggest you search for and download Hirens Boot Disk and create a
bootable DVD from it. When you boot from it, there are many useful
apps including a format disk option.

You can download the drivers from the Asrock website. You will also require video card drivers that you can get from AMD. You will be using Legacy drivers because the 6xxx cards are older and no longer receiving new updates.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064

Solution