Erasing Data from Pc

Abbynrml

Honorable
May 20, 2013
I want to transfer my data from my Windows Vista pc to my new pc. I have a easy transfer cable to do that. After I have transferred my files and stuff, what is the best process to wipe the hard drive clean except for the OS and all the updates? I plan on giving it as a gift to a less fortunate couple.

Thank you in advance for any and all help to do this.

Solution

When I say everything, I mean everything. The drive will even be unformatted after, just like a bare or raw drive.

And Vista might be out of mainstream support, but it still got extended support by Microsoft until April 2017 so you should still receive the most important security patches and updates automatically. But yeah if you reinstall the OS it can be time consuming to reinstall all drivers, software, and updates.

If you want to avoid reinstalling the OS, you...

Abbynrml

Honorable
May 20, 2013

Does it remove windows updates?

Abbynrml

Honorable
May 20, 2013

Since Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft will I be able to get the updates as it could be quite lengthy and time consuming to download them all again.

MC_K7

Distinguished

When I say everything, I mean everything. The drive will even be unformatted after, just like a bare or raw drive.

And Vista might be out of mainstream support, but it still got extended support by Microsoft until April 2017 so you should still receive the most important security patches and updates automatically. But yeah if you reinstall the OS it can be time consuming to reinstall all drivers, software, and updates.

If you want to avoid reinstalling the OS, you need to erase your personal data yourself, as I said you need to do it manually. Unfortunately it would be too complicated to explain it to you step-by-step because the data can be spread all over the disk, and it also depends on what software you're using, each individual software might keep track of some stuff you did, and might store it at different place on the disk. It's not that simple. But if you're not too paranoid you could just delete your user account and it's content (usually stored on C:\user\yourname). Just make sure you create another account for them on the system, not to lock yourself out.

Solution