erm... help?

Jono T

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
i was surfing the internet for games when my computer started atcting strange so i turned it off and on again, and immediately ran a norton scan and found i had some trojans and a mediem threat virus, and i then restarted my computer to find that every 10 minutes i get a pop up about 2008 xp anti-virus or something but i know it's a virus comes up. i keep closing it but it always comes back any suggestions?

my norton subscription ends soon too i'm thinking about getting avast or AVG, what would anyone recommend?

G

Also get SuperAntiSpyware (or similar)

AVG and Avast are both highly recommended among free av programs.

Try and work out what the Trojan type is -- usually it'll start trying to upload or download or change file names and Avast will warn you and give the file name. Google the file name and you may be guided to a site which can advise on a solution. For example, Vundo is a very common Trojan and somewhere there is a utility called Vundofix.

G

Okay, follow up. The warning pop-up you're getting may be a hoax trying to sell you an av program.

See this story from the UK's Register forum

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/22/anatomy_of_a_hack/

Jono T

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
ok, i got rid of the trojan (i think),and i just thought i'd say the annoying pop up says it's a license agreement, and it says by clicking on the "i disagree" or "no" button it will not install, but the only button is the "agree and install" one, the only way to close it is to read some smaller writing that says something like "if for some reason you do not want to install xp anti-virus 2008 click here ect...." so you click on "here" to find you've closed it and a bit later it comes back!!!!!!!!!