Status
Not open for further replies.

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Chrome Version (32.0.1700.76 (Official Build 244343) m):
Operating System (Windows 7 64-bit):
Extensions (New Tab Redirect! 2.1.1, My Chrome Theme 2.0, My Chrome Theme 2.0):
I cannot access a specific website and subsequent pages ( ghostrecononline.com ) I have checked the websites status( http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ghostrecononline.com )and it is up for everyone, but me. I get "Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" every time.

My brother's laptop (using the same network, in the next room) is able to access the website, so it isn't my ISP.

I've tried all the 'solutions' in the support page for errors.
Scanned for malware/spyware.
Scanned for viruses.
Defragged.
Flushed DNS.
Reset modem.
Checked cables for wireless connector.
Restarted computer.
Uninstalled chrome / re-installed chrome.
Checked firewall (Deleted then re-allowed chrome.exe)
Also turned off firewall / any protection.

Every other website I access works, all but GRO.com and any pages within, including GRO forums.

Please help

-the server's transport detected a error condition and reset your TCP/IP connection. There lots of reasons for this but it is best to focus on the ones that are caused by your side of the connection (you can fix those).
Number 1: your network driver assembles a TCP/IP packet incorrectly (corrupts a packet) the checksum routines request the packet again, the server
sends it and your network driver assembles it incorrectly (again) the checksum routine finds a error and request the packet to be sent again, the server does this over and overt until a certain counter goes off and the server gives up and resets your connection.

same thing happens if your netcard just drops a packet, it just keeps asking for the packet # over and over. server sends it over and over then gives up and resets the connection.

Ok, number one solution to this problem is to update your network drivers to a current version.

if you do this and it fails, you could be in the rare condition where the packets are being corrupted by your router or some other network device.
but that takes more effort to prove/fix. Just start with your network driver update and see if that fixes your issue

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Where can I find these drivers? I'm currently using a 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card, but the drivers for that is updated according to the properties.

you need to find the brand and model of the wireless device, then go to the manufacture's website and get the driver. Start in control panel then device manager. look under network adapters for a detected wireless card.
often vendors will give Microsoft a driver to ship and install but never update the driver with microsoft when they make their bugfixes. Some vendors do give microsoft some of their updates and you can try right clicking on the driver and select update driver software. (the vendor will always have the latest versions, not microsoft)

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Thanks for the quick responses. Thankfully I still have the box, and right now i'm downing Utility/Driver from here http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=220_TEW-684UB

I looked in the control panel and in "802.11 n WLAN" properties there are two entries, 'Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter' which is listed as "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)" and the other which is
'802.11n USB Wireless LAN card' is listed as "This device is working properly." by Ralink Technology, Corp.
So I think you're right, i'll see how this driver/utility install goes.

EDIT: Same problem still ERR_CONNECTION_RESET. (I also restarted computer after installing driver)

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Problem still persisting, two other computers in the house can access website, but mine can't. I tried doing netsh winsock in cmd, but that did nothing (got that off a video.)

what net card are you using?

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I use a USB wireless adapter, TRENDnet model TEW-684UB to connect to my Verizon modem in another room. But it says 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card.

cool, sounds like you have the generic driver that the vendor gave microsoft, you want the one with the fixes.
Get the driver from: (there might be better ones but a good start)
http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=1471
(this will put the driver on your machine)
then
do this: (this will select the new driver rather than the default driver)
http://www.trendnet.com/includes/faq/inc_faq_viewquestion.asp?ToDo=view&questId=2876&catId=697

reboot and see it it works

Note: I think the bug fix was in the security protocol that was being used. As a test you could disable your routers use of security keys and see if you can connect correctly. In this case it would have been your router that reset your connection because of the error in your driver.

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I downloaded the drivers before, a few posts back. I did the method listed on the webpage though, and it still doesn't work. The names were a bit different though, if it matters (802...etc. LAN Card Version 3.1.10.0 and Version 3.2.5.0) I updated one, tested, then did the other after it didn't work. Still doesn't work.
Haven't tried disabling router security key yet, I need to ask for the network password to do so.

This is so frustrating, thanks for helping me through this though. What should I do next?

I think the one you want will say RALINK on the description.
your device is based on the Ralink RT3573 chip
go to their website http://www.mediatek.com/
or here
http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=500

the driver download does not start until you hit the submit button

the driver was dated 09/28/2013 looks like version 5.0.8
it took a few tries before i could get a download to work, I had to find the file via the connection tab and enter a name and email name and the download started. kind of screwy, I just used a bogus email and name.
not sure it will work but it has a much more up to date file stamp.

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
The install seemed really sketchy, all that came up was the run application menu and my mouse turning into a loading sign. I'm not sure if install worked or not, but the website still isn't going past ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.
Do you have skype or some means to contact you? I can share screen or something to show you what i'm doing and how it's turning out.

edit: maybe look at your problem from a different point of view, maybe the ethernet adapter is having issues with your USB port. Maybe even try your network adapter and drivers on another machine to see if they work on the other machine.
-check event viewer for error logs to give a clue as to the problem.
- confirm you OS files are ok using the sfc.exe /scannow command
- clear internet cache for browser? try another browser? disable brower addons?
- turn off all anti virus software?
(i checked your core files in the debugger and they were not corrupted in the memory dump though)
--------------------

I attempted the download and got a setup program. the file was
IS_AP_STA_RT2870_D-5.1.7.0_VA-5.1.7.0_W7-5.1.7.0_W8-5.1.7.0_RU-5.0.8.0_AU-5.0.3.0_092313_1.5.31.0WP_.exe

is this the same file you got? I started it and it looked like a valid setup program ran it and selected driver only, looked like it installed something but I don't have your device so I don't know if it would work.

control panel uninstall program now has RAlink rt2870 wire3less lLAN card version 1.5.31.0
in the uninstaller. it is not the version that was on the menu when i selected the download, who knows if it is correct.

skype is not going to help, I don't have your hardware and can not check for what the problem is.

at this point i would isolate the issue down, can you plug a ethernet cable directly into your router to your machine?
if not can you change the wireless connection mode? and get a connection?

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I think I downloaded a corrupted file, it doesn't load after I click Run Program, it is the same file though.
Tried event viewer, not exactly sure how to use it.
I used sfc.exe /scannow, all 100% is fine, no errors there.
I've tried clearing cache by CCleaner, registry fix also.
I use microsoft essentials.
The modem is way too far for a ethernet cable, and what do you mean by changing the wireless connection mode?

I'll redownload the drivers again.

If your network driver is corrupting packets it will corrupt files as they are being downloaded. Only some games will check for corruption (they are looking for cheaters to kick) Use another computer to download the driver then copy it over to your computer via thumb drive.

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I re-downloaded and it worked properly this time, installed and everything. Turned off anti-virus, turned off firewall and tried again..... Didn't work. Why is this so persistent?!

well, lots of things can cause corruptions, anything that handles the data can corrupt it.
have you checked your core OS files for corruption?
start cmd.exe as a admin
sfc.exe /scannow <- will look for corrupt OS files and fix them

if all else fails you can google on how to create a manual crash dump
and put it on the cloud with public access and I will look at it and see if something looks wrong in the debugger.

(basically, you enable saving the crash dump, set a registry key, then trigger the system to bugcheck using the scroll lock and control key. best to google to find the steps) Here is one listing from google
http://superuser.com/questions/224496/how-do-i-create-a-memory-dump-of-my-computer-freeze-or-crash

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
sfc scan came out fine, did the manual dump, not sure how to use google cloud. Could you explain how to upload the file?
EDIT: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WNARRac5IwaU5rbWhENllRRGc/edit?usp=sharing

Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (2 procs) Free x64
Built by: 7601.18247.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532
System Uptime: 0 days 0:08:41.046

"Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G860 @ 3.00GHz"
BIOS Release Date 04/18/2012
Manufacturer ASRock
Product B75M

You have drivers that have replaced parts of the OS, defragmenters, alternate file systems, your core OS files are not corrupt but win32k could not be checked in the debugger.

at this point I would remove:
-Bluestack system hypervisor
- iobit's defrag driver
- DOKAN alternate file system driver

and if that does not resolve the issue then remove
-daemon tools,
-gear works /itunes driver,
- saitek magic bus driver

You might want to create a fresh windows install on another drive to confirm that this is a windows problem and not a issue with the above drivers.

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
To remove those, I would simply uninstall, correct?
I don't have another drive to re-do windows, unless I use a sandbox or something. (I have a OEM W7 for system builders disk)

uninstall and reboot should work (if the uninstaller works as expected)

TTrinh

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I uninstalled the following : (w/ CCleaner)
Bluestack
Itunes
Dokan Library
Iobit (Somehow Smart Defrag is still on my desktop? CCleaner bug?)
Daemon Tools
I couldn't locate saitek bus driver, I don't know where it's located.

After that I cleaned any registry problems and did a manual dump again. I uploaded it here, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WNARRac5IwRG5MdzNvOGdOQU0/edit?usp=sharing

The problem is still there.

remove all of your startup programs, disable any extra brower addons.

you need to uninstall this saitek drivers:
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\SaiBus.sys Tue Apr 16 10:17:23 2013
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\SaiK1708.sys Thu Sep 20 03:03:56 2012
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\SaiMini.sys Tue Apr 16 10:17:23 2013
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\SaiU1708.sys Thu Sep 20 03:03:52 2012

see if they have a uninstaller or reinstall the current version and uninstall.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php
(otherwise you should do a manual uninstall)

update this file:
ISCTD64.sys Tue Nov 27 11:52:34 2012
from intel: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/sftwr-prod/smrt_cnct

HECIx64.sys Mon Jul 02 15:14:58 2012 check for update to this intel driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

after that is done: I would tell device manager to show you all the hidden devices (devices that are no longer connected to the system)
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

unplug your usb wireless card

remove all of your unused USB devices in device manager, reboot, plug in your wireless card and it should install the new version of the driver.

then retest for the failure. Also, set your wireless device to full power (max performance in the power settings) it would be a shame if the device was just in a lower power mode and too far from the wireless router for its power setting for its antenna.

check the properties of this file:
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys
and it should have a version number, for some reason the debugger does not like the file and will not check it.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I don't have a solution but may have some insight into your problem.

Does the problem occur for all Windows User Accounts on that one computer?

I have two Windows User Accounts on the computer I am having a similar problem on just one account. One is Administrator and the other a Standard account. The problem is on the Standard account and probably started after a toolbar (Shopping Helper Smartbar by ReSoft) was installed. (inadvertently, but I accept responsibility for not reading the dialog boxes carefully.)

Everything seems to be fine on the Administrator account on that computer as well on all the other computers on the network.

I have tried quite a few solutions but none have worked yet. (see solution below)

I did discover that the snap.do toolbar was installed in Internet Explorer and I removed that by resetting IE. That did not help in Chrome.

This looks like a tough problem to solve. If I find something that works I'll post it here.

--------------------------

I think I solved this problem. I found a folder with some remnants of the malware in it and deleted the folder. That seemed to correct this problem. I had removed the malware, checked with several tools which no longer found the malware, but apparently when I removed it the files were hiding or left in a folder.

I was also having an another problem which showed up before this one and I did a few more things and cleared that problem up as well. Not sure if the problems were directly related but heck if it ain't broke no mo' fuggeda bout it.

Sometimes you just have to fiddle with different things to find a solution. Or try different approaches to search terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.