[SOLVED] ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error in GTA 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 10, 2019
Hello everyone, I bought new laptop which has i7-9750H and GTX 1650. I have installed GTA 5 game and I am facing this really weird error called ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT. I have tried many solutions from this forum and others online.
List of things I have done till now.

1. updated my drivers
  2. in the settings.xml file I have changed that DX_Version value to even "0" and "1" and stuff.
  3. I have even turned off VSync.
  4. re-installed the game and after facing the error again, did all the above mentioned things.
  5. Made the graphic windowed-borderless
  6. in the This PC's properties -> Advanced System properties -> chose Adjust for best performance also

Is there something new to be done since I have GTX 1650, so please suggest any new work-around.

Solution
It's a common issue with laptops. Desktops - nada.
Between the two, it's gotta be some crap software... oh, well whaddya know, it must be that Nvidia Optimus software that desktops don't have.
I could also say it's Rockstar's Social Club, but since some desktop users also run SC instead of Steam and not have issues with it, I can only look at Optimus being at the center of it all.

I have found a couple of workarounds - but they're pretty old - but they may still work.
1st one:
"u have to manually tell nvidia control panel to use the high performance graphics card

Right click the GAME Icon >> Run With ... >> Nvidia GPU. "
2nd one:
"Go to your device manager and turn off your Nvidia card.

Now start the Launcher, when it comes up, wait...
Aug 10, 2019
Go to Power Plan > Advanced Power Settings > Intel graphics settings > intel graphics power plan - set for max performance
The gpu power settings can be set in Nvidia control panel.

This may help on the Direct X matter:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-download-install-directx-2624489

okay so a one small miracle happened. In Nvidia Control Panel if I only use Intel Graphics globally and for the game also it works good. The error doesn't show up but if I switch that back to normal so that NVidia GPU can take over the error occurs.

Now just pushed intel's gpu to max performance as you said so let's see what happens. And also downloaded the DirectX from the link you shared.

Meanwhile do let me know why it is only giving error while allowing to switch to NVidia?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Between the two, it's gotta be some crap software... oh, well whaddya know, it must be that Nvidia Optimus software that desktops don't have.
I could also say it's Rockstar's Social Club, but since some desktop users also run SC instead of Steam and not have issues with it, I can only look at Optimus being at the center of it all.

I have found a couple of workarounds - but they're pretty old - but they may still work.
1st one:
"u have to manually tell nvidia control panel to use the high performance graphics card

2nd one:

Now start the Launcher, when it comes up, wait till the loading circle is showing, at that moment turn on your Nvidia card again.

Just before it starts the game.. It starts in Windowed mode, but you can set it to fullscreen ingame."

Solution
Aug 10, 2019

1st one:

2nd one:

Now start the Launcher, when it comes up, wait till the loading circle is showing, at that moment turn on your Nvidia card again.

Just before it starts the game.. It starts in Windowed mode, but you can set it to fullscreen ingame."

Cool man! I'm able to play this game with Intel GPU. After that, as you mentioned, I switch the whole thing back to Nvidia and I guess it goes fine with it. I have played for longer hours without any interruption and now it feels satisfactory.

Thank you so much for sticking with me for every trivial step, I really appreciate it and you have helped me remove my thoughts about not to feel bad about buying this computer. Thanks a ton once again. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cool man! I'm able to play this game with Intel GPU. After that, as you mentioned, I switch the whole thing back to Nvidia and I guess it goes fine with it. I have played for longer hours without any interruption and now it feels satisfactory.

Thank you so much for sticking with me for every trivial step, I really appreciate it and you have helped me remove my thoughts about not to feel bad about buying this computer. Thanks a ton once again. :)
I, myself, am glad it worked out for you! Others haven't been as fortunate.

DarkCobalt

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
I hv noticed the clock speed in Msi Afterburner to be much above the one specified in the Nvidia website. I don't really have much idea about this that clock speeds must be the reason for drivers crashing and all.

TRENDING THREADS