Question Erratic burning smell from laptop

Mar 25, 2019
My laptop has been showing weird behavior since 7th March. I have used the laptop 7 times in college laboratory sessions since 7th March and it emitted a burning smell in 3 of those lab sessions. In all of them, the burning smell started coming after around 1.5 hours of usage. I immediately stopped the charging after which the smell stopped coming. The weird thing is, I use the laptop everyday at home for 10+ hours where the charger is plugged in at all times with conservation mode on (battery stays at 60% capacity) and it has never once given a burning smell.
So, basically, it has emitted a burning smell only during college lab sessions and never at home.

I have checked the laptop temperatures using HW Monitor and they seem fine. The AC adapter has small a corroded part near the plug outlet. [Screenshot attached]

Could that small corroded part cause the burning smell? Or maybe the plug points at my college have some different configuration which is causing the issue? Any help is appreciated.

Additional details about my laptop:
It is a 4 year old Lenovo Y50 UHD model
AC Adapter Model: ADL 135ND3CA
Input: 100-240V~1.5A 50-60Hz
Output: 20V - 6.75A

IMG_20190325_165412_zpsudigph5o.jpg

Mar 25, 2019
If the burn came from a wall socket at your college, I'd look at the socket in your college to be the culprit. Try and take some isopropyl alcohol and use it to clean the contact on the prong for your adapter.

It has happened in three different laboratories, so it's unlikely that three different sockets were faulty.

It has happened in three different laboratories, so it's unlikely that three different sockets were faulty.
Unlikely, but there's a possibility of bad wiring, in which case it wouldn't be isolated to one outlet. It might be worth asking around to see if others experience anything similar.

If you decide to clean the charger with said isopropyl alcohol, opt for 99% (the less water, the better).

Mar 25, 2019
Unlikely, but there's a possibility of bad wiring, in which case it wouldn't be isolated to one outlet. It might be worth asking around to see if others experience anything similar.

If you decide to clean the charger with said isopropyl alcohol, opt for 99% (the less water, the better).

All right, I will give it a try. Thank you!