Question "Erroneous Error Gremlin" says both Motherboard and CPU overheating!

Aug 19, 2019
Motherboard - ASUS M5A78-LM - I've had this up and running for a month now with no problems t all. I had bought it brand new, and I had just last week bought a new CoolMaster Q300P case this week that I installed my system into. Everything is working just fine even now, but when I boot, it gives me an erroneous BIOS message saying that my CPU was overheating. When I entered into the BIOS Hardware Monitor Profile...it says my 8 core AMD FX8350 @ 4.0GHz (not OCd) is running @ 127C/260F and that my system board is running at those exact same temperatures also @ 127C/260F . No SHICK?

Well the first thing I did was shut it down, then common sense took over as I realized that it would have burned up into a crispy critter by then, at those temps. SOoooo I turned it back on and reread the error messages, and reached inside the unit and got a fingertip in on the CPU base, right at the bottom edge of the processor's edge and it was merely barely warm to the touch, certainly not 260F!

Even at that, there is no way it would run at those temps without shutting down, with the system board saying it was hot also. Note this though, it never gave me any problem before like this in the other case I had previously installed everything in, and none of the features for hardware profile monitoring are connected to any case functions. So the case can not be an issue in the "Erroneous Error Gremlin".

So I would be in your debt if someone could please tell me what gives here. What could have changed and why is this showing both the CPU and the Mobo being hot? It's alright if it is just erroneous but then too, it means I have no safeguards if the board or CPU ever DO really run hot on me. All I have are the safeguards for the fan speeds and that's it I guess?

Any help would be appreciated. God, I hope it does not require a BIOS update, as those always worried me.

Motherboard - ASUS M5A78-LM
CPU - AMD FX8350 @ 4.0GHz (not OC'd)
Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Graphics - Biostar Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 128-Bit Gaming Edition (640SP)

Zalman CNPS9500A LED Copper CPU Fan
6x's Blue Halo Ring 120mm LED Computer Case Fans High Airflow 45 CFM
CoolMaster Silent 200mm Blue LED Cooling Fan - 76 CFM at 18 dBA

Aug 19, 2019
Still hoping for a quick reply here folks. Need to discover why this board is suddenly giving me a bad temp reading for CPU and board also

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS