error#06:0000:00002C47 caused an error in KRNL385.exe

My grandmother gets this error every time she tries to open Netzero. She has
Windows ME. She's in CA and I'm in MA so I'm trying to help her long
distance. Any sugesstions why this might happen?

I tried to do some research. Could it be related to her recent McAfee virus
update?

If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

KRNL385.EXE is NOT a valid WinMe file - confirm that it is not KRNL386.EXE
(which is valid)

If it is KRNL385, then she may still have a virus.

Also confirm the EXACT error code number.

Mart

"miesha" <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My grandmother gets this error every time she tries to open Netzero. She
> has
> Windows ME. She's in CA and I'm in MA so I'm trying to help her long
> distance. Any sugesstions why this might happen?
>
> I tried to do some research. Could it be related to her recent McAfee
> virus
> update?
>
> If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!

Thank you for responding, Mart. It is KRNL386.exe.

I got more information. She told me that she now gets a different error
message than before. She only got the above error message once. Now she
gets the following one every time.

She logs onto Netzero and is on for about 30 secs when the screen turns blue
and she gets this message:

An error has occured, to continue: press enter to return to windows or press
ctrl alt delete to restart your computer.
Error: 06:0000:000005B5

When she presses enter, the computer just returns to the above message.

"Mart" wrote:

> KRNL385.EXE is NOT a valid WinMe file - confirm that it is not KRNL386.EXE
> (which is valid)
>
> If it is KRNL385, then she may still have a virus.
>
> Also confirm the EXACT error code number.
>
> Mart
>

> "miesha" <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My grandmother gets this error every time she tries to open Netzero. She
> > has
> > Windows ME. She's in CA and I'm in MA so I'm trying to help her long
> > distance. Any sugesstions why this might happen?
> >
> > I tried to do some research. Could it be related to her recent McAfee
> > virus
> > update?
> >
> > If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks!

When did this problem start? I wonder if it is possible that she
downloaded and installed the original version of the KB891711 hotfix
between 8 March and 13 April as this can cause similar problems. If so I
would suggest she try booting to Safe Mode and then using MSConfig (Start
| Run and enter MSConfig in the box and click OK), open the Startup tab
and look for and uncheck any entry that refer to KB891711. Having done
this she should try booting back into normal mode and see if the problem
is still there or not. If this solves the problem she should then got to
the Windows Update site using the link on the start menu and download and
install the latest version of this patch.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

miesha <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you for responding, Mart. It is KRNL386.exe.
>
> I got more information. She told me that she now gets a different
> error message than before. She only got the above error message
> once. Now she gets the following one every time.
>
> She logs onto Netzero and is on for about 30 secs when the screen
> turns blue and she gets this message:
>
> An error has occured, to continue: press enter to return to windows
> or press ctrl alt delete to restart your computer.
> Error: 06:0000:000005B5
>
> When she presses enter, the computer just returns to the above
> message.

I believe the problem started around St. Patrick's Day, March 17.

I followed all of your instructions. Actually I talked my grandma through
all of your steps. You were right!! It works now. Well, she hasn't gone to
the Windows Update site yet but she can get on the internet now. So she'll
download and install the latest version of that patch and hopefully
everything will be back to normal. I think she'll be fine now though. If
not, I will post again.

One small variation to your instructions. When we booted back into normal
mode, it reset (checked) KB891711. So we have to run it in Selective Start
Up mode to keep KB891711 unchecked. She can only get on the internet with it
disabled (unchecked). Once she updates windows and gets the new version of
KB891711, I'll have her return to normal mode.

Thank you so much for helping! I couldn't find anything on the Microsoft
website to help. (except this discussion group) This discussion group is a
great resource!

Thank you again!

"Mike M" wrote:

> When did this problem start? I wonder if it is possible that she
> downloaded and installed the original version of the KB891711 hotfix
> between 8 March and 13 April as this can cause similar problems. If so I
> would suggest she try booting to Safe Mode and then using MSConfig (Start
> | Run and enter MSConfig in the box and click OK), open the Startup tab
> and look for and uncheck any entry that refer to KB891711. Having done
> this she should try booting back into normal mode and see if the problem
> is still there or not. If this solves the problem she should then got to
> the Windows Update site using the link on the start menu and download and
> install the latest version of this patch.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> miesha <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for responding, Mart. It is KRNL386.exe.
> >
> > I got more information. She told me that she now gets a different
> > error message than before. She only got the above error message
> > once. Now she gets the following one every time.
> >
> > She logs onto Netzero and is on for about 30 secs when the screen
> > turns blue and she gets this message:
> >
> > An error has occured, to continue: press enter to return to windows
> > or press ctrl alt delete to restart your computer.
> > Error: 06:0000:000005B5
> >
> > When she presses enter, the computer just returns to the above
> > message.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read that your grandmother has
got back the use of her PC.

"Selective Startup Mode" just means that you have an unchecked entry in
MSConfig | Startup which is what I suggested you do. The KB891711 entry
got rechecked when you said you didn't want to be in selective startup
mode. All that needed to be done was check the box not to display the
message again. Sorry that I didn't make this clear in my earlier post.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

miesha <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I believe the problem started around St. Patrick's Day, March 17.
>
> I followed all of your instructions. Actually I talked my grandma
> through all of your steps. You were right!! It works now. Well,
> she hasn't gone to the Windows Update site yet but she can get on the
> internet now. So she'll download and install the latest version of
> that patch and hopefully everything will be back to normal. I think
> she'll be fine now though. If not, I will post again.
>
> One small variation to your instructions. When we booted back into
> normal mode, it reset (checked) KB891711. So we have to run it in
> Selective Start Up mode to keep KB891711 unchecked. She can only get
> on the internet with it disabled (unchecked). Once she updates
> windows and gets the new version of KB891711, I'll have her return to
> normal mode.
>
> Thank you so much for helping! I couldn't find anything on the
> Microsoft website to help. (except this discussion group) This
> discussion group is a great resource!
>
> Thank you again!

Hi Mike, - Good Call - not having been directly involved with the KB891711
issue, I doubt whether I would have come with that solution. And thanks for
jumping in last night too - well past my bed time <g>

Mart

> Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read that your grandmother has
> got back the use of her PC.
>
> "Selective Startup Mode" just means that you have an unchecked entry in
> MSConfig | Startup which is what I suggested you do. The KB891711 entry
> got rechecked when you said you didn't want to be in selective startup
> mode. All that needed to be done was check the box not to display the
> message again. Sorry that I didn't make this clear in my earlier post.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> miesha <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the problem started around St. Patrick's Day, March 17.
>>
>> I followed all of your instructions. Actually I talked my grandma
>> through all of your steps. You were right!! It works now. Well,
>> she hasn't gone to the Windows Update site yet but she can get on the
>> internet now. So she'll download and install the latest version of
>> that patch and hopefully everything will be back to normal. I think
>> she'll be fine now though. If not, I will post again.
>>
>> One small variation to your instructions. When we booted back into
>> normal mode, it reset (checked) KB891711. So we have to run it in
>> Selective Start Up mode to keep KB891711 unchecked. She can only get
>> on the internet with it disabled (unchecked). Once she updates
>> windows and gets the new version of KB891711, I'll have her return to
>> normal mode.
>>
>> Thank you so much for helping! I couldn't find anything on the
>> Microsoft website to help. (except this discussion group) This
>> discussion group is a great resource!
>>
>> Thank you again!

Hi Mart,

I only jumped in when I realised it was an 06 error which until the 891711
debacle were few and far between so thought it worth a shot. As for my
post being well past your bed time I can only assume that you had an early
night last night - as did I, going to bed almost straight after that post.

Cheers,
--
Mike

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> Hi Mike, - Good Call - not having been directly involved with the
> KB891711 issue, I doubt whether I would have come with that solution.
> And thanks for jumping in last night too - well past my bed time <g>

> ... I can only assume that you had an early night last night - as did I,
> going to bed almost straight after that post.

Not that early - must have been just before you posted <g> Keep promising
myself early ones but....

None the less, a good observation in spotting the 06 link. Now copied into
my 'Rainy Day Stuff' folder

Mart

> Hi Mart,
>
> I only jumped in when I realised it was an 06 error which until the 891711
> debacle were few and far between so thought it worth a shot. As for my
> post being well past your bed time I can only assume that you had an early
> night last night - as did I, going to bed almost straight after that post.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mike
>

> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike, - Good Call - not having been directly involved with the
>> KB891711 issue, I doubt whether I would have come with that solution.
>> And thanks for jumping in last night too - well past my bed time <g>

Mike and Mart,

Thank you both for jumping in and staying a bit past bedtime. I really do
appreciate both of you generously sharing your knowledge to help out a
grandmother and her granddaughter.

Final update: My grandmother sucessfully updated to the latest Windows
Update and her computer is back to normal.

I'm also privately pleased that my grandma and I helped add to your "Rainy
Day" observations. I hope my post will help someone else!

Thank you, thank you!

Michelle

"Mart" wrote:

> > ... I can only assume that you had an early night last night - as did I,
> > going to bed almost straight after that post.
>
> Not that early - must have been just before you posted <g> Keep promising
> myself early ones but....
>
> None the less, a good observation in spotting the 06 link. Now copied into
> my 'Rainy Day Stuff' folder
>
> Mart
>

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Hi Mart,
> >
> > I only jumped in when I realised it was an 06 error which until the 891711
> > debacle were few and far between so thought it worth a shot. As for my
> > post being well past your bed time I can only assume that you had an early
> > night last night - as did I, going to bed almost straight after that post.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Mike
> >

> > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Mike, - Good Call - not having been directly involved with the
> >> KB891711 issue, I doubt whether I would have come with that solution.
> >> And thanks for jumping in last night too - well past my bed time <g>

Michelle,

It's so good to read that all is now well with your Grandmother's PC. I
just wish I had helpful grandchildren to help me out at times, as it is
both of my daughters look to me for help with their PCs - and the younger
one is a Computer Science graduate!!!!!

Regards and very best wishes,

Mike M

miesha <miesha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike and Mart,
>
> Thank you both for jumping in and staying a bit past bedtime. I
> really do appreciate both of you generously sharing your knowledge to
> help out a grandmother and her granddaughter.
>
> Final update: My grandmother sucessfully updated to the latest Windows
> Update and her computer is back to normal.
>
> I'm also privately pleased that my grandma and I helped add to your
> "Rainy Day" observations. I hope my post will help someone else!
>
> Thank you, thank you!

Michelle,

Almost a 'ditto' of Mikes post too <g>

As I've said many times in these Groups, you can learn something new every
day.

Good luck and visit again - whilst we are still here - if you have any other
WinMe related issues. There's still a few of us 'regulars' left who will try
to 'fix' thing for you if we can.

> Mike and Mart,
>
> Thank you both for jumping in and staying a bit past bedtime. I really do
> appreciate both of you generously sharing your knowledge to help out a
> grandmother and her granddaughter.
>
> Final update: My grandmother sucessfully updated to the latest Windows
> Update and her computer is back to normal.
>
> I'm also privately pleased that my grandma and I helped add to your "Rainy
> Day" observations. I hope my post will help someone else!
>
> Thank you, thank you!
>
> Michelle
>
> "Mart" wrote:
>
>> > ... I can only assume that you had an early night last night - as did
>> > I,
>> > going to bed almost straight after that post.
>>
>> Not that early - must have been just before you posted <g> Keep promising
>> myself early ones but....
>>
>> None the less, a good observation in spotting the 06 link. Now copied
>> into
>> my 'Rainy Day Stuff' folder
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>> > Hi Mart,
>> >
>> > I only jumped in when I realised it was an 06 error which until the
>> > 891711
>> > debacle were few and far between so thought it worth a shot. As for my
>> > post being well past your bed time I can only assume that you had an
>> > early
>> > night last night - as did I, going to bed almost straight after that
>> > post.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > --
>> > Mike

Tim

Mike,

I had the same problem and need help locating the KB891711 hotfix. Where
can I download this from?

Thanks very much,
Tim

Tim <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I had the same problem and need help locating the KB891711 hotfix.
> Where can I download this from?

The Windows Update site.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Tim

Mike,

I found the windows update site and now I have another question. When I run
msconfig I now have one KB891711 that is checked and one unchecked. Should
both be checked?

Thanks again,
Tim

"Mike M" wrote:

> Tim <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > I had the same problem and need help locating the KB891711 hotfix.
> > Where can I download this from?
>
> The Windows Update site.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Tim,

> Should both be checked?

Not really, the unchecked entry probably relates to the earlier version of
the 891711 hotfix that you had disabled by unchecking in MSConfig. What
happens if you now check the unchecked entry? Most likely you will find
after you next reboot that you now just have the one checked entry.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com