[SOLVED] "Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error" when unzipping file.

Skiff

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I recently upgraded my motherboard but can't use the driver disc to install the drivers as I don't actually have an optical drive so I figured I would just download the drivers from the website. So I am trying to update the LAN drivers, specifically the Intel I225 Firmware Update Tool, I can download the file just fine, but I can't extract the zip file. I get the message:
"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error."

I have tried on the PC and on my laptop, and I get the same error message on both so I feel like it's unlikely to be a corrupt system file (which is something I keep seeing suggested) it's happening on both devices, one of which recently had a clean install. I saw a post that said it could be related to my anti virus, my PC and Laptop both have Bitdefender installed on them, I have disabled all of the active protections and still get the error. I did see some posts which suggest that it means that the zip file is password protected but surely no company is dumb enough to password protect files meant for support?
The drivers I am trying to install can be found here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan
Any ideas?

Solution
I just tried the file and got the same result. However, the file did extract correctly using 7-Zip.

This means that either the Windows unzip functions are buggy, or maybe 7-Zip just ignored partial corruption of the file and extracted it anyway.

Try 7-Zip and consider contacting them and letting them know.

gardenman

Splendid
I just tried the file and got the same result. However, the file did extract correctly using 7-Zip.

This means that either the Windows unzip functions are buggy, or maybe 7-Zip just ignored partial corruption of the file and extracted it anyway.

Try 7-Zip and consider contacting them and letting them know.

Solution