Error 0x800780005 and Unable to Activate Windows 10 Features

LostLamb

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
I'm attempting to install a program. It states that I need .net framework 2.0 to be able to run it. Upon downloading the .net framework installation from here, it says it fails every time I try to install.

Troubleshooting, I saw that I could try to activate .net framework from within windows itself via the control panel. Upon opening up system settings and getting to 'Turn Windows Features on or off' I check the boxes for .net framework 3.5 (includes 2.0 and 3.0) and .net framework 4.6. I immediately get the error 0x800780005 and says access denied.

I cannot find many references to this error number (Microsoft's own trouble shoot page doesn't list this error) and basically none that are in reference to windows 10. I have no idea how to be able to install the .net framework or activate from the windows features list.

Solution
Are you on version 1607 of windows 10?
to check, right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter

If you aren't on 1607, go to here and press Upgrade now. That will download the upgrade assistant, if you run it it will upgrade you to latest version

If you are already on 1607, Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin) - the command needs to be exact

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /Source:x:\sources\sxs /All /LimitAccess

Where "x" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you on version 1607 of windows 10?
to check, right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter

If you aren't on 1607, go to here and press Upgrade now. That will download the upgrade assistant, if you run it it will upgrade you to latest version

If you are already on 1607, Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin) - the command needs to be exact

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /Source:x:\sources\sxs /All /LimitAccess

Where "x" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "x" to the correct drive letter

Restart your computer then try enabling .NET Framework again.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-and-troubleshoot-net-framework-on-windows-10/

Solution