Question Error: -1 - Wordperfect office files have been damaged or modified. Please reinstall from your original source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
"Error: -1 - Wordperfect office files have been damaged or modified. Please reinstall from your original source."
Note: All the errors I've seen for the problem shows it as "Error 38 . .. "
Background: WP-11 and WPx4 (14) originally installed on an AMD64 Gateway 5220 PC using WinXPx32_Pro with both versons working great. When the Gateway MOB failed I moved the XP HDD to a HP Elite m9340f with Acronis Universal Restore (What a job that was!).
ALL installed programs including some 16 bit programs AND WP 11 tested and all work. I have followed several forums suggestions including making sure Protexis Licensing V2 was checked, started and set to automatic to manually uninstalling WPx4 including register entries. I reinstalled WPx4 and SP-2 (WPx4 OEM Standard) with AVAST turned off (I originally had Norton but had to uninstall and manually remove register entries when I could not longer get Norton to authenticate my subscription. The register 'cleaning' was prompted because some 'Norton' entries were blocking a couple of 16bit programs from launching.)
After 3 "Repair" attempts and 2 complete installs, I'm still receiving the same error. I can't 'see' that WP-11 has anything to do with it since both versions were previously working. I asked COREL and of course, since it's not the latest edition, they gave me the runaround with any attempt to answer my question.
Is there anyone who have had this issue and fixed it.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Thanks Ralston18. Yes, that link refers to WPx7 Trial Edition. However, it happens that those same files refer to the Protexis Licensing V2 as I mentioned in my article which is supposedly working according to all indications except the error. Several forums listed this as the "Fix" but, after doing as all suggested, including a step by step manual uninstall (includes registry) and reinstall, I'm still getting the same error.
I think there's a registry entry somewhere that I haven't found that was installed by Norton (reference stated 16 bit issues) or possibly a corrupted entry caused during the Universal Restore from a 2006 AMD64 PC to a 2009 Intel x64 PC, subsequent driver updates and CCleaner scans. (I've done Rededit since Win95, so far, so good. Yes, I know to back up.) I have the entire HDD backed up after initially getting XP to work in its 'new' location. I hadn't had the chance to double check all the programs so, on 14 Apr, I started checking them. I have both 16 & 32 bit programs, Wordperfect 11 included, they ALL work, even dBaseII. Yes, I go back a ways. Wordperfect x4 (14) is the only one that doesn't work. And, honestly, given my WP usage today and since all my WP documents are WPD, I can work with WP-11. I'm 'hard headed', stubborn and usually relentless to fix something I know should work. I've searched and searched some more looking for a working answer from someone's who has had this problem and actually got it working again. I've found that errors are like two people looking at an incident - no two stories are the same. However, one of those stories could actually point me in the right direction.
If anyone has anything useful, please let me know. Thank you. (Long winded I know. It's background.)

Last edited:
Do you need that specific program for something? There are several good free office programs, Lebre Office and Open Office. I think one of those is actually build off Worldperfect. Although you still using XP can be an issue, you may need to dig around a bit to find versions that work on that OS.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Thanks hang-the-9. As I mentioned, I'm stubborn. I have WP-11 on the same drive and it works fine. My main issue is why WP-14 (x4) stopped working? If I stop the PSIservice.exe in services, I get the Error - 38 that everyone talk about. When I restart the service I get this Error -1 - .... I sent Corel a message but as you may guess, it's not WP-x9 so they won't even try to help. Sent me URLs to their Forum but, it won't allow me to setup an account. Searching their 'community' forums doesn't give me anything about my ERROR. There's quite a few about Error 38 which has the same tag line but using instructions for that doesn't fix my Error -1. I have used both Lebre and Open office from Win95 to Win10. They are good but the last time I tried (Lebre) it was still having issues supporting MS Office documents. I'm also running MS Office 2007 on that drive which works great. Converting WPD files to Office doesn't work very well. Words, letters, characters, paragraphs and pages are either missing or corrupt in some form. Fixing it is worse than retyping the document. With WP-14, I can convert to PDF but it's not nearly as good as MS Office to PDF. If I remember correctly, WP-14 was Corel's first attempt at matching DOCX but it doesn't work. It will convert DOC's okay but not DOCX. Even PDF writers (I have 3 different ones) won't convert from a WPD nor create a WPD from a PDF. Excuse my rambling. Bottom line, it worked before I moved the drive to the new Intel machine; all other programs work; why not WP-x4?
I believe there's a registry entry that's causing it but I can't find it.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.