Error 501

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Good afternoon

Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
"FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
help me please?

Henry
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Try typing in "error 501" without the quotes into google. There should be an
article there to solve your problem.
Have a good day.

"Henry Stable" wrote:

> Good afternoon
>
> Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
> an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
> "FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
> for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
> help me please?
>
> Henry
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:30:30 +0000 (UTC), Henry Stable
<henry.stable@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Good afternoon
>
>Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
>an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
>"FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
>for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
>help me please?
>
cross linked files are now worthless. Best you can hope for is to find out
which files they are and replace them.

After you run a scan disk to clean up the problem.

--
more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Henry Stable wrote:
> Good afternoon
>
> Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
> an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
> "FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
> for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
> help me please?
>
> Henry

This is what the PM users manual says on error 501:
#501 Cross-linked files were found

Multiple files claim the same clusters. PartitionMagic can fix this error when it

occurs on an NTFS partition. For more information, see "Checking Partitions for

Errors" on page 49. PartitionMagic lets you fix this error by: (1) copying the

shared clusters to each affected file, (2) deleting all affected files, or (3) keeping

one file and deleting the other affected files.


HTH

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Maurice N ~ MVP wrote:
> Henry Stable wrote:
>
>>Good afternoon
>>
>>Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
>>an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
>>"FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
>>for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
>>help me please?
>>
>>Henry
>
>
> This is what the PM users manual says on error 501:
> #501 Cross-linked files were found
>
> Multiple files claim the same clusters. PartitionMagic can fix this error when it
>
> occurs on an NTFS partition. For more information, see "Checking Partitions for
>
> Errors" on page 49. PartitionMagic lets you fix this error by: (1) copying the
>
> shared clusters to each affected file, (2) deleting all affected files, or (3) keeping
>
> one file and deleting the other affected files.
>
>
> HTH
>
Thank you. I tried the first choice & it said that there were too many
errors & aborted the process

I'm not too happy about choices 2 & 3 in that I do not know what the
files are & don't want to delete something blindly.

Henry
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

bandaid wrote:

> Try typing in "error 501" without the quotes into google. There should be an
> article there to solve your problem.
> Have a good day.
>
> "Henry Stable" wrote:
>
>
>>Good afternoon
>>
>>Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
>>an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
>>"FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
>>for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
>>help me please?
>>
>>Henry
>>
Thank you, Lots of articles but sadly none which could help me.

Henry
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Husky wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:30:30 +0000 (UTC), Henry Stable
> <henry.stable@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Good afternoon
>>
>>Whilst trying to utilize unallocated space using Partition Magic I get
>>an error message 501 relating to cross linked files. It refers to
>>"FRS#8268 and then gives me 3 options, none of which works. A search
>>for FRS#8268 to see what the file is produces no results. Can anyone
>>help me please?
>>
>
> cross linked files are now worthless. Best you can hope for is to find out
> which files they are and replace them.
>
> After you run a scan disk to clean up the problem.
>
Thank you

If only I could find which files they are

Henry
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY