Error 651 Windows 7 Ultimate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Hey so I was messing around on my computer that has windows 7 ultimate and downloaded something online and it installed stuff I did not want. So I Uninstalled the software and now I cannot connect to the Internet. I have an ether net cable directly from a port on my wall. When I try and connect it gives an error code 659: the modem has reported an error. Every other item like ps4 and laptop connect to the Internet fine. I'm confused whether when I downloaded the thing it messed with my network settings. Please help and if you need clarification I will give it. Thanks!

Solution
Pretty simple.

Click on start.
Click on control panel.
Click on system and security.

Where it says system, to the right in blue click on device manager.
Left click on networking adapters.
Right click on any adapters in there.
Click on uninstall for each device.

Once done. select restart from the shut down tab.
The system should load back up and find and install the driver for your Ethernet based network card.
At this point it may say new network detected set it up if so.
And it should work fine after that.

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
I unplugged router to reset it and plugged back in. I waited about 2 or 3 minutes and just restarted my computer. The internet does not work still. The only difference is that when I plugged the router back in, the icon of the computer and ethernet cable in the bottom right of the screen, popped up saying additional log in information may be required. But when i clicked on it it brough me to google chrome which of course did not load...