Error 651 Windows 7 Ultimate

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Hey so I was messing around on my computer that has windows 7 ultimate and downloaded something online and it installed stuff I did not want. So I Uninstalled the software and now I cannot connect to the Internet. I have an ether net cable directly from a port on my wall. When I try and connect it gives an error code 659: the modem has reported an error. Every other item like ps4 and laptop connect to the Internet fine. I'm confused whether when I downloaded the thing it messed with my network settings. Please help and if you need clarification I will give it. Thanks!

Solution
Pretty simple.

Click on start.
Click on control panel.
Click on system and security.

Where it says system, to the right in blue click on device manager.
Left click on networking adapters.
Right click on any adapters in there.
Click on uninstall for each device.

Once done. select restart from the shut down tab.
The system should load back up and find and install the driver for your Ethernet based network card.
At this point it may say new network detected set it up if so.
And it should work fine after that.
Pretty simple.

Click on start.
Click on control panel.
Click on system and security.

Where it says system, to the right in blue click on device manager.
Left click on networking adapters.
Right click on any adapters in there.
Click on uninstall for each device.

Once done. select restart from the shut down tab.
The system should load back up and find and install the driver for your Ethernet based network card.
At this point it may say new network detected set it up if so.
And it should work fine after that.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Please don't start a new thread with the same basic question. The one posted today has been deleted.

Were you able to successfully re-install your network drivers? In Device Manager, are any devices showing an error? If so, what ones?

What anti-virus and anti-malware programs are you using?

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
When on device manager there are no network devices or ports. All it says it other devices which is my ethernet controller. When I click update the driver software for the controller it does not work. And the virus and malware program I downloaded I can't remember and I deleted and uninstalled it from my computer.

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
I just successfully reinstalled the driver for the controller. It now shows, lIke before I uninstalled the driver, the computer icon with ethernet cable in bottom right screen. When I click on it it says Internet access but when going to chrome or other online applications it still dowe not work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your system can't connect to the network because the drivers aren't loaded (it seems). You may need to download from another computer and put on a USB drive (or CD) and then install manually. If you have the CD/DVD that came with the motherboard, the drivers (old ones) may be on it as well.

Once you have the drivers installed, you should be able to access the 'Net. You should also be running an anti-virus program ALL OF THE TIME.

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
How would I go about downloading the network driver then getting it to my pc? No one else in my home has a desktop they only have laptops. And I don't know how to get the driver for the modem onto a flashdrive. Could you walk me through?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Use a laptop and download and save the file. Then copy the drivers to a flashdrive. Remove the flash drive and install it into your system.

There should be no drivers for the modem, only for the ethernet (network) adapter.

BTW, what make/model modem are you using? Also, are you using a router as well?

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Okay so I have a laptop ready. But first, on my device manager now it says my network adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. That controller it plugged then into the port on my wall which then goes to the WiFi router. The router is an at&t uverse setup. I'm sorry if I screw up modem and router and what not I'm not the greatest with electronics. Now you said download and save the file on my laptop but where do I get the file?

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
It said FindFile failed. Then it loaded more and said new deriver version unkown then installing then detecting. It now says maintenance complete and I clicked finish. But the internet still does not work...

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Sorry yes. In network connections details it says
IPv4 Default Gateway 192.168.1.254
IPv4 DHCP Server 192.168.1.254
IPv4 DNS Server 192.168.1.254
IPv4 WINS Server 192.168.1.254

But, under IPv6 Gateway and DNS Server it says nothing. Its blank. Does that matter?

CodyVanOss

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
When I pinged on comand prompt it said:
Ping Statistics for 192.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss).
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average= 0ms

That is the results