[SOLVED] Error 9 and error 23 when cloning using Macrium Reflect

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I'm trying to clone my hard drive to a new SSD but I keep getting the errors. I tried enabling ignore bad sectors in advanced settings and running chkdsk, I don't really know what else to do.

Solution
Sorry, but no.
Imaging in Macrium is not "just copies the files". It attempts to read all (actually most) of the data. NOT just discreet "files".

Yes, Cloning is different than Imaging.
But it is not a simple file copy function.

In any case, it is attempting to read from or through portions of the platter that are failed/failing. And trying again and again and again.
And telling you exactly why, with Error 9 and Error 32.

Hence, the extensive time it says it will take.

You might try changing from Intelligent Sector Copy (default) to Forensic Copy.
That might force through the failed portions of this drive.

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
okay, I'm imaging my disk now, but the ETA has been sticking at 3000-4000 hours, which really doesn't seem right.. both drives are plugged straight into my motherboard via SATA, but even if i was copying from an external USB 2.0 drive I don't think it should take more than ~8 hours, definitely not a few months

USAFRet

Titan
okay, I'm imaging my disk now, but the ETA has been sticking at 3000-4000 hours, which really doesn't seem right.. both drives are plugged straight into my motherboard via SATA, but even if i was copying from an external USB 2.0 drive I don't think it should take more than ~8 hours, definitely not a few months
It is telling you "3000-4000 hours", because it is attempting to read the failed sectors again and again and again. And failing to do so.

This is too far gone to clone or image.

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
in case youre somehow unaware, imaging won't even attempt to copy failed sectors because it doesn't make an exact copy, it just copies the files.

please work with me a little here, you've been very dismissive from the start

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, but no.
Imaging in Macrium is not "just copies the files". It attempts to read all (actually most) of the data. NOT just discreet "files".

Yes, Cloning is different than Imaging.
But it is not a simple file copy function.

In any case, it is attempting to read from or through portions of the platter that are failed/failing. And trying again and again and again.
And telling you exactly why, with Error 9 and Error 32.

Hence, the extensive time it says it will take.

You might try changing from Intelligent Sector Copy (default) to Forensic Copy.
That might force through the failed portions of this drive.

Solution

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
thanks for suggesting a course of action, I'll try that when I get back to my PC.

what has me going is that when cloning it would encounter the errors and just fail, but when imaging, theres no error readout and it doesn't stop imaging, and theres also no point when it transitions from making progress quickly to suddenly slowing down, its just as slow right from the start - so it really seems like an issue to do with data transmission speeds, but I don't think even the slowests SATA disks out there would take 5 whole months to read ~400gb of data

In my experience, and I have been using Macrium for quite a few years now. at least 6 or 7, if a drive any any bad sectors or too many reallocated sector counts it will almost always fail. Now if by chance there is no data for it to read where the bad sector is then you might get lucky.

Cloning and Imaging both are the same the only difference is the target area. The source is the same and what it has to read is exactly the same.

You need something more like R-Studio. That is what I use for drives with bad sectors. Only thing is you have to do a 1:1 copy which means you have to clone it to a drive of the same exact size or larger. Once it is cloned over to a good drive you can then use macrium to clone it to a different drive if the new target drive is smaller. if it is the same size or larger you don't need to use macrium.

Also this whole Slow thing is NOT a data speed issue. That hard drive is trying to read and read and read and it can't. Macrium doesn't know how to properly skip bad sectors.

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
thank you, I'll try R-studio, the target drive is the same size so no hassle there.

I knew it wasn't a data speed issue, I was just kindof sharing my line of thoughts, I guess I didn't make it very clear that I was dismissing that as being the problem

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I tried R-drive with limited success, it seemed like R-drive was fighting windows for resources so I tried clonezilla in rescue mode, which I think would have worked but around the 18-20 hour mark, just a couple hours before it should finish, it would reset the progress back to 0, and there were also some GUI glitches so I probably just had a defective or corrupt version of clonezilla or something like that, but windows was starting to act up a bit and be a little glitchy so I decided it would probably be best to start fresh and just install windows onto the SSD.