Error can't load GDI.exe

G

I am installing a new WD Caviar 40GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 hard drive into a PC with bare minimum: Asus A7V motherboard, Athlon T-Bird 900Mhz cpu, Generic 128MB PC-133 RAM, Nvidia 16MB TNT2 AGP video card, Teac 1.44MB floppy, and Apex 300watts ATX case. I used WD's EZ-Install to partition and format my new drive and copy my old 20GB hard drive partition into my new 40GB hard drive. Every indication was that I was successful, then I restart! First time, the PC booted fine went into my Win98se OS seem to work okay but then started acting weird and then frooze up on me after awhile. Second, same thing! Then I decided to reload Wind98se on top of the old OS, but it gave me an error message during installation then rebooted, which made the hard drive unusable. So, I went through EZ-Install again and repartitioned and reformated the hard drive, and when I tried to load any OS (win98 or win95) it just gives me an error message saying "Error loading GDI,EXE" and stops! Has anybody had this problem before, I don't know what to do next. Got Idea?

G

I'm not the expert at this, but try low-level formatting your drive (i think that's what it's called :p). It zero's out your entire harddrive, to ensure that it is fully formatted. Then try to reinstall your operating system. If it still doesn't work, it could be a problem with your installation CD (unless it's the same for your win95 AND win98 CD?). This is the best I can do.

-symband

P.S.: That utility that you use may have a low level format option, or you can most likely get one from www.westerndigital.com

Greg957

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I Have had a problem like that when windows 95 was not running on my primary partition of the primary ide hardrive years ago! I have never used fat 32 on a 40 Gb drive thoe