Error code- 0xc000000e Help

MrDitorix

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
So I recently upgraded my operating system from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to Windows 8 Pro N x64, and for a while everything was working until most recently. When I restarted my computer I was greeted with a blue screen with the following text:

Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
Error code: 0xc000000e
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB drive) contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.
Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Startup Settings

Now another major problem that I have encountered is the inability to use both my keyboard and my mouse. I cannot access my bios, nor can I boot from my USB drive which contains the Windows 8 installation media. So basically I am stuck at the same blue screen without many options. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
When this happens what it normally means is that your bios has defaulted back to it`s factory settings.
The cause of it can be due to a bad cmos coin cell battery, or one that has been in the motherboard for a few years.
The other tell tale sign the cmos battery is below the 3.3 volts needed to retain all the current valid settings stored in the bios are that the time and date will be wrong as well as the year.

With the bios defaulting to factory settings, it means that the interface or mode type selected to find the hard drive is wrong.
And needs to be set back up as Ahci mode, preferred in most cases or Sata mode.
You will also find that the boot order in the bios has defaulted to a Cd or dvd rom drive or floppy drive for example...
When this happens what it normally means is that your bios has defaulted back to it`s factory settings.
The cause of it can be due to a bad cmos coin cell battery, or one that has been in the motherboard for a few years.
The other tell tale sign the cmos battery is below the 3.3 volts needed to retain all the current valid settings stored in the bios are that the time and date will be wrong as well as the year.

With the bios defaulting to factory settings, it means that the interface or mode type selected to find the hard drive is wrong.
And needs to be set back up as Ahci mode, preferred in most cases or Sata mode.
You will also find that the boot order in the bios has defaulted to a Cd or dvd rom drive or floppy drive for example first in the list.
If you get into the bios, then you need to make sure the option of detect Legacy Usb devices is turned on so the keyboard will work when the correct key is pressed when you wish to enter your bios.
The error code of 0xc000000e is saying it cannot find the current boot able device on the interface selected.
Meaning the wrong mode is set in the bios for a Sata based hard drive ok.
If you find all of the above when you enter the bios, then you should replace your cmos battery for a new one CR 2332. About £1.00 in cost.

Solution

MrDitorix

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

So are you saying I need to access the bios and then buy the new battery or just get the new battery?Because I have no way of entering my bios as of now. Or is there another way of accessing the bios?

If your motherboard has the PS2 type connector on the back ports of the board.
When the bios defaults back to factory settings it will use that keyboard connector.
You can buy a small adapter that comes in handy that will convets the USB end of the keyboard to a PS2 style connector.
That will let you enter the bios every time. Look up Usb to Ps2 keyboard adapter.

If your bios defaults back to factory settings, when you power your system off and turn it on again the time and date will always reset along with the year and the settings that were saved in the bios.
So you must buy a new Cmos coin cell battery as Soon as you can CR2332.

MrDitorix

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Wait did you say that the boot order would but dvd/cd first? because I actually just found my Windows 7 disc, so if I put that in would all go well? I did replace the battery on the motherboard and purchased that adapter online if that will not work.

Sep 1, 2015
I'm having the same issue, i currently have ubuntu installed on an nvme drive that i will call disk 1 and windows installed on a ssd that i will call disk 0. Both boot loaders are stored on disk 1 as a system partition, after reading some of the posts here, could the problem be the fact that the two disks are different types? I.e. I have enabled native nvme support but windows is store on an ssd connected with sata. Maybe if someone else has the same issue this could be helpful to solve.