[SOLVED] Error code 0xc000000f

kayameclan

Reputable
May 8, 2018
So i was updating my windows 10 after the download finish it required to restart,after i restart
I'm receiving (file\windows\system32\winload.efi error code: 0xc000000f) on my computer and it gives me the options.

Press Enter to try again

PressF1 to enter Recovery Environment

Press f8 for Startup settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

Press F9 to use a different operating system

I already create a bootable usb to repair my windows but my keyboard won't even work since this message starting coming up so I can't click anything so it just eventually shut's itself off.I already try different keyboard and different ports still have the same result.Plus i cant enter my bios it seems like my keyboard and mouse its not recognize by my pc.What should i do now? Sorry for my grammar English is not my main language.

image0.png

Last edited:
Solution
Well, mouse/kb should work on the initial flash screen before it hands control to windows, have you set up fast boot as thats about only thing I can think of that would stop USB mice from working here at startup, I assume they aren't Bluetooth or Wireless?
tried usb ports on back of the PC?

you could clear the CMOS battery, it should put you in bios afterwards but not overly helpful if mouse/kb still don't work. See page 19 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-elite_e_1101.pdf

Colif

Win 11 Master
That isn't nice windows, bad windows... its gone and broken itself somehow

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (unless you have one already)

Anything on C you want to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd (not same hdd as C is on)

now you could try reset this PC, it might fix it.
its in the troubleshoot directory I mention above
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)

if it doesn't work, you probably need to clean install
winload.efi is used for booting PC, I don't think you can fix it easily from outside of windows, the fastest fix is probably clean install. Clean wipes everything on the hdd C is on so make sure you copy it all before you do next step.

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Last edited:

kayameclan

Reputable
May 8, 2018
That isn't nice windows, bad windows... its gone and broken itself somehow

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (unless you have one already)

Anything on C you want to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

now you could try reset this PC, it might fix it.
its in the troubleshoot directory I mention above
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
I have usb bootable with windows 10 in it. But it seems like my keyboard and mouse its not working i can't press anything but when i try my keyboard and mouse in different pc everything is working fine.And i already try different keyboard too but the result same too the keyboard is not working

kayameclan

Reputable
May 8, 2018
Is this a prebuilt PC or custom?
If OEM, what make/model?
If Custom, do you know motherboard?

keyboard should work at the bios screen, it may not once windows starts to load.
its a custom
here is the spec:
proc:AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU:Galax rtx 2070 super
MB:Gigabyte Aorus Elite b450
RAM:Gskill Trident z 8x2 3200 mhz
PSU:750Watt 80+Gold DeepCool DQ750ST

I don't know the keyboard seems not recognize by my pc but when i try the same keyboard to a different pc its working fine im using Corsair K70 mk2.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, mouse/kb should work on the initial flash screen before it hands control to windows, have you set up fast boot as thats about only thing I can think of that would stop USB mice from working here at startup, I assume they aren't Bluetooth or Wireless?

you could clear the CMOS battery, it should put you in bios afterwards but not overly helpful if mouse/kb still don't work. See page 19 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-elite_e_1101.pdf

Solution

kayameclan

Reputable
May 8, 2018
ahh

ahh yes thank you. i was manage to reset the CMOS now my keyboard and mouse works,and then i plugged in my windows 10 bootable usb and change the boot option to the usb in bios setting and now when i turn on the computer its only show black screen and blinking underscore. I've been waiting for about 10 mins and nothing happens,should i just wait?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i haven't used that menu, did it show USB drive twice? once as just its name and another with UEFI in front? Because you may want to choose other option. Default should be either, bios is smart enough to choose UEFI or Legacy boot methods, Installer should support both.

kayameclan

Reputable
May 8, 2018
i haven't used that menu, did it show USB drive twice? once as just its name and another with UEFI in front? Because you may want to choose other option. Default should be either, bios is smart enough to choose UEFI or Legacy boot methods, Installer should support both.
it was only "sandisk" which is my bootable usb

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't seem to work, you might want to remake the installer using media creation tool and see if you get any further.
Another option is use rufus to make USB, that is sometimes needed

also some people find using an older installer gets them further too.

I have also seen sandisk USB be seen as hdd by PC and not boot off them, but that was a few years ago. Try using another USB stick.

updating BIOS also helps sometimes.

kayameclan

Reputable
May 8, 2018
ok
it doesn't seem to work, you might want to remake the installer using media creation tool and see if you get any further.
Another option is use rufus to make USB, that is sometimes needed

also some people find using an older installer gets them further too.

I have also seen sandisk USB be seen as hdd by PC and not boot off them, but that was a few years ago. Try using another USB stick.

updating BIOS also helps sometimes.
Okay i will try another bootable usb thank you for your help.