[SOLVED] error code 0xc00000428 And can’t access startup settings

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
So after reseating my cooler to try to fix an overheating issue I got the windows blue screen with the 0428 error code with “Failed to verify the digital signature of the file”. After doing some research people said by disabling “driver signature enforcement” through startup settings it could fix the problem. That’s w issue starts. I can’t access startup settings.

I’ve tried to plug in my flash drive with windows on it click next at the install thing where it says like language time and all that. Then click “repair your computer”, troubleshoot, then startup settings is not there. Instead there is:

startup repair, command prompt, uninstall updates, UEFI firmware settings, system restore, and system image recovery. Just those 6

so one fix ive tried to access startup settings is going into command prompt and typing in

“bcdedit /set {default} advanced options true”

and when I click enter it always says

“The operation completed successfully”

but when I restart my pc it doesn’t boot into startup settings. So I would like to know is there anything else I could try with that or maybe like boot priorities matter because I currently set the recovery drive as the primary boot device.

I do know I can do a system reset by reinstalling windows and I could copy all my files to another storage device but I currently don’t have one and going through all that time and money to buy one and have to set everything back up I’d like to use as a last resort. So if anyone has any knowledge on the best way to do that if I had too that would be great.

along with trying to disable driver signature enforcement and a system rare there any other fixes that could work? I tried some others but they didn’t work but I might as well try everything again because maybe I made a mistake.
All help is greatly appreciated I’ve been having

problems with my PCs for years and really just tired of it

specs:
Motherboard: MSI MPG z690 Edge WiFi DDR4
CPU: Intel i7-12700KF
GPU: GTX 1660 ti
RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200mhz
PSU: Thermeltake Smart Pro RGB 750W bronze
Cooler: Master Liquid Ml120L RGB
Case: some white refrigerator basically

Solution
how many times does it restart? is it stopping at 1st restart? Have you set up any accounts?

http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/Intel600BIOS.pdf - bios manual

Did you change the boot order? Is the boot drive first in line or nothing at all yet?

Windows has this habit of not continuing the install after its copied all the files onto drive. That sounds like what has happened?

if you changed boot order to put USB as 1st, it shouldn't be.
it should be the ssd

Your bios has boot override.
It means you can put USB in at boot
go to advanced view/save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB
Bios will boot from the drive once and on next boot go back to normal boot order.

See page 30 of manual.

You need to leave usb in...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why do you want startup settings?

Are you wanting to get to safe mode?

Boot to the Command Prompt of your boot disk. Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

the startup settings may not show unless you can get windows install as far as the logon screen. Then if you choose the power button in bottom right, and hold shift while pressing restart, then the startup settings menu will show up. It must be a security setting. Its normal for it to not show off the USB.

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Why do you want startup settings?

Are you wanting to get to safe mode?

Boot to the Command Prompt of your boot disk. Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

the startup settings may not show unless you can get windows install as far as the logon screen. Then if you choose the power button in bottom right, and hold shift while pressing restart, then the startup settings menu will show up. It must be a security setting. Its normal for it to not show off the USB.
So the reason I’m trying to get into startup settings is too disable driver signature enforcement, but I still went ahead and tried to get into safe mode with the instructions given but it did not work for me. I typed in the command into command prompt and it said it was successful but after restarting and pressing f8 the manufacturers logo did flicker as if it read the key input but after loading for a bit it just took me back to the windows recovery installation page. I tried it a few times but still no luck.

Im not sure if I made a mistake but everything seemed to have work except that it didn’t take me where It was supposed to. What are some things I could be doing wrong or are there other options to disable driver signature enforcement or to fix the 0428 in general

Colif

Win 11 Master
one fix for 0428 is to rebuild your boot manager
Boot to command prompt
type these and press enter after each one

C:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h –r
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Another is try run start up repair but I never seen it do anything useful

getting to that menu is hard to find as google gets it mixed up with advanced startup and is showing the wrong results

I don't know if option 2 here would work outside of windows - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...river-signature-enforcement-windows-10-a.html

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
one fix for 0428 is to rebuild your boot manager
Boot to command prompt
type these and press enter after each one

C:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h –r
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Another is try run start up repair but I never seen it do anything useful

getting to that menu is hard to find as google gets it mixed up with advanced startup and is showing the wrong results

I don't know if option 2 here would work outside of windows - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...river-signature-enforcement-windows-10-a.html
So I tried to rebuild the boot manager and I typed in C: and pressed enter so it was now C:\> then I typed in cd boot so it was then C:\Boot>

after that I typed in

attrib bcd -s -h -r

and it said “File not found - bcd”

I shudown pc, typed it in multiple times, and still didn’t work

I then went ahead and just skipped that step and tried entering the “bootrec /rebuildbcd” and it said scanning all disks for windows installation then said
Total identified Windows Installed: 0
Finally saying the operation was completed success fully, but it still didn’t do anything even after restarting and trying it multiple times

I pressed on the link and followed all the procedures, but none of the command worked and only gave me the message

“an error has occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry. The system cannot find the file specified”

so I guess like you said you have to be in windows for them to work. I’m really not sure what to do because nothing seems to work for me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't have a great record of getting that stuff to work.

Would it take too long to reinstall windows as that might be a faster way of achieving the outcome of having a working pc

do you have an installer?
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

how to copy data off drive:
  • Boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
Once you copied everything you want to save off drive,
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

I could guess reason windows broke is you still have fast startup turned on and unplugging PC to mess with fan may have corrupted windows.
You didn't list drive but I assume it ssd. Turn this off on new install so when you turn PC off, its actually off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
I don't have a great record of getting that stuff to work.

Would it take too long to reinstall windows as that might be a faster way of achieving the outcome of having a working pc

do you have an installer?
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

how to copy data off drive:
  • Boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
Once you copied everything you want to save off drive,
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

I could guess reason windows broke is you still have fast startup turned on and unplugging PC to mess with fan may have corrupted windows.
You didn't list drive but I assume it ssd. Turn this off on new install so when you turn PC off, its actually off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
I followed all of the steps, and I’ve had to reinstall windows from a USB like this before. So I selected the unallocated space that was the result of deleting what was previous on the drive clicked next and started the installation. Everything went through fine

copying windows files
Getting files reading for installation
Installing features
Installing updates
Finishing up

The problem is after all that finishes it has like the green loading bar saying “windows needs to restart to continue” and after 10 seconds my pc restarts and just boots back into the blue screen. I’ve tried on my both my SSDs wiping all the data on both. I even looked up a fix where you unplug the flash drive but that still didn’t work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how many times does it restart? is it stopping at 1st restart? Have you set up any accounts?

Did you change the boot order? Is the boot drive first in line or nothing at all yet?

Windows has this habit of not continuing the install after its copied all the files onto drive. That sounds like what has happened?

it should be the ssd

choose boot override
pick USB
Bios will boot from the drive once and on next boot go back to normal boot order.

See page 30 of manual.

You need to leave usb in PC until windows is finished installing as it doesn't boot off the actual C drive until about 3rd restart.

Solution

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019

it should be the ssd

choose boot override
pick USB

See page 30 of manual.

You need to leave usb in PC until windows is finished installing as it doesn't boot off the actual C drive until about 3rd restart.
It only restarts one time before going back to the windows error screen. Like it says it’s restarting then it restarts and when it boots back up it just boots to the error screen again.

I did change the boot order to the SSD but it didn’t help. The latest install I tried took an entire hour just to go through “getting files ready for installation” which is way longer than usual but it still restarted back into the windows blue screen

I’m honestly so confused there has to be a fix or a mistake I’m making or idek but I just want to get it running.

DINAKERI

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Update: so I ended up being able to install windows, but did lose all of my files. The initial problem I had with overheating is still a problem so that sucks so I might post a separate thread for advice on that. Went ahead and gave best answer.