Error code 0xc00000e9

narutsasuk

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
So I upgraded my pc today and am now trying to install windows 8.1 from a dvd I have.
It starts loading and then gives me the error:
There was a problem with a device connected to your pc
An unexpected I/O error has occured
Error code 0xc00000e9.

I have checked both my HD and SSD and they both seem to work fine.

I also tried installing windows 7 and when I get to the language selection the keyboard and mouse just stop working.
Only devices connected to the pc are the mouse and keyboard(on usb 2.0 ports) and the monitor.
Unfortunately I dont have any ps/2 keyboard mouse.

System info:
WD caviar blue 1TB HDD
Samsung 850 Evo 120gb ssd
Msi b350m pro vdh
Ryzen 5 1500x
Asus rx 580
2 sticks of corsair 8gb ddr4 ram(total 16 gb)

It's already been 3 hours that I've been trying to deal with these issues so if anybody can help with either one I would be grateful.

Solution
remove everything attached to the motherboard including front panel USB and sound headers.

attach only the SSD and you say you're using a DVD ROM drive? You can install the media from a USB thumb drive, if you need help with that let me know, but remove the DVD ROM as well...

You should be left with the mobo, video card, SSD, and only the actual normal back panel ports attached to the motherboard, leave the power button attached, but all else removed... now try and boot from the USB media

Mark RM

Admirable
remove everything attached to the motherboard including front panel USB and sound headers.

attach only the SSD and you say you're using a DVD ROM drive? You can install the media from a USB thumb drive, if you need help with that let me know, but remove the DVD ROM as well...

You should be left with the mobo, video card, SSD, and only the actual normal back panel ports attached to the motherboard, leave the power button attached, but all else removed... now try and boot from the USB media

Solution

narutsasuk

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
I have already tried something similar just without unplugging the dvd drive because I currently cant create a bootable usb drive. I will try booting from a usb later and report back here. Any other advice is of course welcome.

narutsasuk

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
So I finally made a bootable usb drive disconnected the dvd drive and tried booting from uefi.That didnt work but then I booted from the legacy system(Im not sure if thats what its actually called) and windows was installed succesfully! Thank you so much for your help!!
So it seems that the dvd driver was malfunctioning. Does that mean that its unusable now?

Mark RM

Admirable

They fail all the time and are cheap to replace. Having said that, USB drives do basically everything these days and I don't install optical drives in new systems.

narutsasuk

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah I'm fine with the dvd driver failing to be honest.At first I thought that the mobo was malfunctioning and got really scared.
My biggest problem right now is that AMD hasnt released windows 8.1 drivers for the rx 580....
So I guess I'll have to install windows 7 through the usb.

narutsasuk

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
Oh I thought you couldn't upgrade to windows 10 for free anymore.Guess that is only true for the pirated versions of windows. I guess I'll give win10 a shot.
Thank you so much for all your help man :)