Error code 2000-0221

Status
Not open for further replies.

swolenator

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Does anyone know what this means? I ran the preboot assessment on startup and got error code 0221 error code 2000-0221 channel 2 timer interval timer not functional. Im on a dell XPS 730X, Intel Core3 I7-940 (2.93GHz, 8MB cache)
6GB Multi-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
nVidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB
500GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
16x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
vista 64

according to dell site the code means Interval Timer Channel 0 (mode 0) is not generating interrupts.

I don't even know if this is the right place to post it but i'm guessing it's something to do with one or the other. I'm no tech expert but i'm thinking it's hardware problem the dell tech support said to wait for new bios update it will fix it but I had someone else on same bios run test with no error code.

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Wow if anyone new this one off the top of their head I would like to study with them.
in order to know this you would have to of had this problem before.

What I do know is that Interupt Requests are handle first by MB then OS takes over after Boot, Interrupts are used by devices plugged into PCI slots remove one at a time to see if IRQ (interrupt requests) are overburdened by one of your devices. Windows has a tool for this in the system properties advanced section of Hardware Manager. but you can also try resetting your Bios to default first. then peruse your hardware manager for problem devices Memory Range and Conflicts is what you want to find. the Trouble shooting button will help you fix them.

guyo30

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I have the same error 0221 and the system XPS 730X and I have call Dell tech support. Dell technician will come tomorrow to change my motherboard and the cpu in case of.

swolenator

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

well did this fix it?

sweetme

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I had the same error. they had me boot to the CMOS setup and press F9 to load defaults then F10 to save. We ran the test again and the error did not come back. Still testing the system to see if all is well.

G

I had the same error on my XPS 730x. I have now had my motherboard replaced 3 or 4 times and have received a brand new computer. I got the new computer ran the PSA+ had got the same error code, I have BIOS 1.0.3, which I believe is the newest version. I called Dell and he said he wanted to install the old BIOS and that my version isn't supported by the 730x.

sjshelton

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I have the same error code:2000-0221: Interval Timer Channel 0 (mode 0) is not generating interrupts... how do i fix this on my Dell Inspiron e1705 model? Dell support is not telling me much...i know it's fixable...
please advise thx

swolenator

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I'm not sure I just checked and I still get the same error code. I know when I asked a dell forum moderater he said "That PSA error message is erroneous on the XPS 730x. It is a BIOS bug that will be fixed in the next bios.They should not have replaced hardware for that customer." Which i'm up to bios 1.0.5 and still have it however even though i still have the error code my pc runs perfect now. What dell did ending up doing to fix my issues was remote reinstall vista 64 and everything else now i have no issues.

hwe123

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
We've been running an XPS 730x for a few months. It started BSODing. Startup Repair and System Restore didn't work. Chkdsk fixed some errors, but it still blue-screened. Utility Partition Express Diags ran OK. I tried the Pre-boot System Assessement and got the 2000-0221 interval timer error. BIOS is 1.0.3. After a short session with Dell Chat, they're going to replace the mobo. Dell said if we tried to update the BIOS on a flaky system, it could become totally non-functional.

swolenator

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
so did anyone figure this out yet? i saw thing that said this. Beep Code and
Error Number
( PSA and PSA+)

Error Message

Action to be Taken

Conclusion
Retry PSA after every replacement in the order listed to determine fix.

BC 2-2-1

PSA 1000-0221

PSA+ 2000-0221

PSA: Interval Timer Channel 0 (mode 0) is not generating interrupts.
PSA+: Chipset Interval Timer failed!

Flash the latest BIOS and retry PSA.

System Board
Processor

i tried loading cmos resetting default that didn't work. I tried switching ram from slot 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 and still got it. did anyone who got stuff replaced get it fixed? is this an error i need to worry about? what needs fixed if anything

JohnWinTX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

I ran a Pre-Boot System Assessment (Build 4515) on my Studio XPS 435MT ("Diagnostics" from Boot Menu) and incurred an Error Code 0221 "Msg: Error Code 2000-0221" "Msg: Timer — Interval Timer Not Functional." The reason I ran the tests was I was experiencing extremely slow startups. After considerable online research, I began disconnecting USB items: first, Zune; then, my Kodak 8.1-MPixel camera. After having disconnected just these two USB items, I rebooted. Everything booted properly, and the Pre-Boot "Diagnostics" ran without errors. I would now suspect having overloaded the USB. (In addition to Zune and the Kodak camera, I also have a Canon flatbed scanner, PIXMA printer, Sprint PCS phone, keyboard, mouse, USB power strip, and an eSATA external harddrive (not that it had anything to do with it but needed mention) ... from johnwintx[at]austin.rr.com

swolenator

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
unfortunately i have nothing connecting to usb other than mouse and keyboard. But yea devices like that and discs in drive will make it boot slower.

KMatsumari

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I am having the issue of the interval timer not functioning, but no other diagnostic problems. My fix options are lengthy, so I will provide the link to my post on TechSupportForum. be sure to read everything I wrote no matter how long it takes. I will not be responsible for what actions you take, but if you follow all of my precautions and notes, you should be fine. pay special note to when I talk about amateurs not trying a certain something...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/bios-runs-slow-loads-fine-626719.html

Status
Not open for further replies.