Question Error code 553

I am in england and for the last 4 days i have been unable to send emails from thunderbird as i keep getting error code 553 , i went onto my B.T. mail server to eliminate thunderbird but when i tried to send an email from their i also got error code 553.
I have been on the B.T. forum and lots of people have posted the same but nobody has given a reason for this , i contacted customer support but they cant give me a reason for this happening.
One strange thing though .... from thunderbird and my mail server i sent myself a test message and it did go to my inbox without a 553 error ????

This is for the benefit of others who may have the same problem as me ..... if future users type error 553 the search box will find this.

I phoned my isp 3 times and did not get filled with confidence when the first 2 were googling 553 but as they say 3rd time lucky.
As you can see i have pulled my hair out in frustration.
Anyways , the solution is to turn pc off and the hub for about 25 minutes , the tech guy said my ip address could have somehow got black listed ??? , he went on to explain that when i turned everything back on i would get a new ip address ...... it worked and i can now send emails .

This is the first time in 20 years that i have had this happen ..... at least if it happens again i know what to do.