error connecting from dos client

I am new to active directory. But here is my question. I am working with a
network that was created by someone else a few years ago and I cannot ask any
questions about the setup as I don't know where the previous network
administrator went.

The network is configured like this:

The server is running windows 2000 advanced server.

There are several windows 98 workstations that happily connect to the
windows 2000 server.

Threre are three windows xp professional workstations that were just added a
few months ago that can connect and see the network

There are two windows xp workstations that connect to the network that are
okay.

The windows 2000 server has 6 to 10 users defined in the active directory
structure. The groups used are
1. user groups with just connect priviledge, 2.
2. Backup admin group
3. sql server admin group
4. A programmer's group

and something I find confusing, a computer group.

The former administrator belongs to all groups, but the other users just
belong to the main user group.

There are no passwords used to log in to anything (a short memory for the
users).

So my main question is this:

I have been trying to connect to the server from a workstation using a
tcp/ip boot disk. I am logging in with the administrator's user id and
password (none). I can connect to the network and I can ping the
workstations, but I cannot get anywhere else. When I log in using the domain
name (in this case SQL2), I get error 5 as a response, saying that access was
denied. If I use a workgroup to connect (there are two options, workgroup
and domain), I can connect, but I cannot get access to the server itself (in
my case \\srv2002\images) as the server does not appear to exist with a
workgroup login.

What would be causing error 5 and what can I do to solve the problem? I
want to be able to connect to the server from a dos client and run ghost to
backup the hard drives. I tried a simple connection from a workstation to a
workstation, by passing the server and the active directory and it worked,
but I need to be able to connect directly to the server. What settings am I
missing?

Edward Letendre.

Since we do not know much about your case, it is best for you to login using
the administrator's id (and you SHOULD set a password with it) and do a NET
USE command to connect a drive to your network file share.

br,
Denis

"Edward Letendre" <EdwardLetendre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B0374123-AC55-4B53-8FA9-EE3F4AD4071E@microsoft.com...